FreeDO Source

4DO & Freedo, we have tried playing some 200 games on them - if you have a question we might be able to help!

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

FreeDO Source

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:19 am

So I heard WindowsKiller leaked the source code for FreeDO. Anyone know if this is true and if so where one might get it?
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:30 am

Where did you hear that?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:42 am

I could get in trouble if I told you that.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:44 am

3DO Experience wrote:I could get in trouble if I told you that.
I'm comfortable with that. :wink:
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:45 am

I was under the impression that it had gone open source legitimately:

http://cdinteractive.co.uk/3do/forum/...

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:52 am

Hahaha! I forgot! I guess his "leak" was pointless.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:55 am

WindowsKiller had a "leak" of Freedo source?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:55 am

Unless he included more in his mid-2009 release.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:07 am

That guy is full of shit from beginning to end.

I got a message from someone on Assemblergames a few weeks back looking for M2 information for an article.
They told me that they had already tried getting information from WindowsKiller and that he refused them.
Additionally he had told them to stay away from me and that I had "hacked" into his account on Assemblergames and smeared his name there. :roll:

After dealing with WindowsKiller and reading some of the posts over there they realized pretty quickly that it was WindowsKiller that they needed to stay away from.
It's funny that he is still out there doing the same things.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:11 am

You know, I've tried a few times to register at Assemblergames and I never hear anything back. Is there something I don't know about that place?

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:27 am

That's odd. I haven't heard of any problems like that.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:25 am

Wasn't the official source released pretty lacking or something though from what I remember hearing here?

Any source leaked would be old anyways. Im sure they would have a copy before that other guy made the emulator much better. I remember hearing threats of leaking a couple years ago. And to be honest, the freedo team track record has not been so great. One would be out of their mind if they were to think that donation page is current.

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:56 am

BryWI wrote:Wasn't the official source released pretty lacking or something though from what I remember hearing here?

Any source leaked would be old anyways. I'm sure they would have a copy before that other guy made the emulator much better. I remember hearing threats of leaking a couple years ago. And to be honest, the freedo team track record has not been so great. One would be out of their mind if they were to think that donation page is current.
As you might have heard, I broke open that code about a month ago and was able to build on it to revive 4DO in a brand-spankin new, franken-emulator form.

By the way, to give him credit rather than remain nameless, I believe the "other guy" you're thinking of is Altmer (and I think, real name Maxim?). I definitely agree that his rogue versions were a lot better. At some point on the FreeDO forums I saw that he "quit" and declared it dead and "too much work for one man". I was sad to see him say that, since it seemed to me like he was the only one working on it. In fact, I'm confused about what drama must have gone on within the FreeDO group. It seemed about as emotionally-charged as the members of ABBA. Altmer had only bad things to say about the operation. My understanding is that greed and delusions of monetization brought the whole thing down.

Anyway, what was uploaded of the source code was actually a pretty cohesive whole. It included the core system emulation that pushes around bytes and bits the way the 3DO system would have. It did not, however, include any of the user interface or things like sound card use, controls, reading the video and showing it to the user. I'm not sure how much of the FreeDO codebase that would be, and I'm frankly confused as to why they didn't upload those parts. I certainly don't see any legal trouble arising from it.

I think you're right that it's a copy of the code from before Altmer improved upon it. As far as I know, though, Altmer didn't make a whole lot of changes to the core code. I know this in part because I disassembled one of his versions while figuring out how to interface with the FreeDO core. The interface to the copy of the Core I had was pretty much identical to copy he was using. But, ultimately, I'm hoping I can get back in touch with Altmer and get a copy of any changes he made. If he did any bug fixes at all to the core, it's worth tracking down.

Also, it goes without saying that there was pretty much no documentation with that code. But, oh well. I was able to figure out how to interface with their core code with some work. I never liked the FreeDO interface anyway, so it would have merely been a good reference to speed things along.
Last edited by JohnnyDude on Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:18 pm

Thanks for the info. :idea:

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:14 am

JohnnyDude wrote:My understanding is that greed and delusions of monetization brought the whole thing down.
I'd say. I paid for a 3DO to X-Box adapter there and never got one.