Anime Lovers - lets talk.

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Anime Lovers - lets talk.

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:00 pm

Cybercity Oedo 808 is my all time favourite :) The Uk theme by Rory McFarlane is the best. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4a_2v9C6DM

Sengoku is the coolest character in any media ever.

Like others, I love Akira. There is something unqiely touching about it. I love the film.

Devil Man I have the original Japanese Anime TV series, which is okay, but the Manga made more modern Anime is the best.

Geno Cyber. Less well known? It's pretty good.

Vampire Hunter D, Street Fighter 2 animated film and of cause Fist of the North Star. That film is awesome. I remember I descovered it on late night Channel 4 TV, where I also discovered John Carpenter films, and films like Silent Runnings. I still believe films found by channel hopping are better than most eagerly anticipated summer blockbusters.

More modern anime stuff?

Wangan Midnight. Devil possessed Nissan 240Z. (an Awesome car)

Initial D. When I'm rich I'm buying a Toyota AE86, and I'm going to love it and care for it, and wipe it down with a moist nappy every night. And I'm opening Cambridges only Tofu store :) And then, realise I live in East Anglia and there are no mountains to drift down or indeed up, for 400 miles.

Death Note. Simply one of the best series ever made. The last show I watched on the train from London, and it just choked me up :)

Full Metal Panic. Why did this have to end? I was so sad when this stopped. Just why?

Level E. Very weird series.

This isn't an exhaustive list but what else do others like?

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:45 pm

Anime pulled an American media move and plunged fully into tween-oriented pap and me-tooisms. Dragon Ball Z is probably the worst shit ever to happen to the form.

That said, all aces belong to: Space Adventure Cobra, Golgo 13, Cowboy Bebop, Riding Bean, and Gunsmith Cats.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:54 pm

I love Cybercity Oedo 808! I used to have the tapes but then I got the DVDs only to later realized that they messed up on the English track of the second part. There is one scene where there is not dialog even though the guy's mouth is moving! I went back to the tape and sure enough the lines are on that!

But I really love the anime from that era. The way it's drawn, the characters, the excessive violence. Demon City Shinjuku is another of my favorites alone with Wicked City. Although both of those are demons not SciFi.

Angel Cop was another one that really poured on the violence and it was scifi. Battle Angel too! I'm trying to get LaserDiscs 2 &3 for Detonator Orgun as well. Can you tell I like OVAs and Movies yet?
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:31 am

Demon City Shinjuku is another of my favorites alone with Wicked City
hi-5 on those too.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:44 am

I'm currently translating volume 1 of Goku (by the Cobra guy) in my own time... slowly, as my katakana is bad and I never started on kanji. That guy is damn imaginative.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:53 am

I recently re-watched and finished this time watching Trigun. Good series.

I started watching Sengoku Basara Samurai Kings, it's slow to start and seems to be geared more to teens but I started to take a liking to it. It's based on the video game series of the same name.

I think I watched most of what Initial D offerered back in the day (like up to fourth stage or something). I dont think I could watch that now-a-days though. and the americanized version was butchered with the whole fast and the furious craze.

Back in the day i watched all of Hajime No Ippo. I could never get enough of that one.

Suprisingly, netflix has quite a bit of anime to offer if you dont mind english dubs. I used to always watch english subtitles but now a days it's so much nicer to be able to just watch and enjoy the art sometimes.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:56 am

Fist of the Northstar ;)
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:30 pm

my favorite anime where Project A-ko, Wrath of the Ninja, Project A-ko the Vs, Iria, Macross, Slayers, Ronin Warriors, Little Nemo, Transformers The Movie, Masterforce, Victory, Sailor Moon, Digimon, Vampire Hunter D, Dragon Ball, Z, GT, and I used to watch Patlabor the Mobile Police but the one I had was all japanese not even subtitles so it was cool to watch but I never knew what the hell was going on.

I have tons more that I have not seen yet or forget the names too. I might make some people cringe but I only watch English Dubbed and I for one don't care if they are censored or localized cuz I am not Japanese anyways.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:55 pm

A-ko and Iria are definitely old favorites. I saw some of the first season of Slayers many moons ago and didn't care for it (liked the movie) then about a year or two ago some friends got me watching it... all of it! So I bought the three season box last year for myself. I also want to get the movies for Patlabor, doesn't look like a series I could get into but it always looked good.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"