Which version of Gex stands out above the rest?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Virtual Audio QSound
3DO ZERO USER

Which version of Gex stands out above the rest?

Post by Virtual Audio QSound » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:15 am

Playstation vs. Saturn vs. 3DO

I've only ever played Gex on 3DO and briefly for the Saturn. I remember being impressed with the Saturn port although I still prefer it on 3DO version. I heard the PS1 edition was lacking in certain areas. Thoughts?
~Panasonic 3DO R.E.A.L. Interactive Multiplayer~

Aw yeah. 3DO is the real deal.

Rust
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Rust » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:34 pm

In my opinion, the PS sequel was a horrible empty shell of the 3DO original. The game mechanics were bad, the game camera was worse, the graphics and level design were dreadful, and Gex himself completely lost his charisma. I suspect the board room discussion went something like this:

"Hey, remember that Gex game?"

"Yeah, it was pretty cool."

"Think we can knock out a sequel by next Friday?"

"Enh, we'll see what we can do."

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:42 pm

Rust wrote:In my opinion, the PS sequel was a horrible empty shell of the 3DO original. The game mechanics were bad, the game camera was worse, the graphics and level design were dreadful, and Gex himself completely lost his charisma. I suspect the board room discussion went something like this:

"Hey, remember that Gex game?"

"Yeah, it was pretty cool."

"Think we can knock out a sequel by next Friday?"

"Enh, we'll see what we can do."
The PS sequel, yes.. But the original was pretty much identical to the 3DO version and the overall framerate may be smoother, too. That's a tiny detail, but from what I could tell, both are the same, give or take some hidden stages or features that I'm not too educated about.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:58 am

I recently got Gex for the Saturn... may have to get the 3DO version too just so I can compare. I never buy multiple versions of the same game, but I might make an exception in this case, since I frickin' love Crystal Dynamics.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:21 am

WARNING: SEGA Saturn version should be at the top of the list, not the bottom!

1. 3DO
2. PS
3. Saturn
Last edited by 3DO Experience on Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Virtual Audio QSound
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Virtual Audio QSound » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:16 am

3DO Experience wrote:1. 3DO
2. PS
3. Saturn
Yo 3DO Experience how does the Saturn version wind up dead last? It's RGB Out blows Playstations away and frame-rate exceeds it's 3DO cousin. So what's it lacking?

Also, I cherish the 3DO version as well but what makes it stand head and shoulders above the rest? Besides the fact both Saturn and PSX versions were ported from 3DO.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:49 pm

As I recall it looked pretty bad. I can always pop it in again if you think the Saturn was the best one.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:03 am

OMG I had to double post.

I just compared the Saturn version to the 3DO and holy crap! I think my brain has wires crossed. The Saturn version blows the 3DO version out of the water! I was dead wrong! Even the video in the beginning was better on the Saturn! That could be what threw me off, generally poor looking window boxed video is common on the Saturn but this time the 3DO's looked as bad if not worse than most Saturn games. And that framerate, you aren't kidding, I put in the Saturn version first and when I went to the 3DO one it made my eyes hurt!!!!! I fully recant my previous listing, my poor memory made a horrible liar out of me!

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:55 am

3DO Experience wrote:OMG I had to double post.

I just compared the Saturn version to the 3DO and holy crap! I think my brain has wires crossed. The Saturn version blows the 3DO version out of the water! I was dead wrong! Even the video in the beginning was better on the Saturn! That could be what threw me off, generally poor looking window boxed video is common on the Saturn but this time the 3DO's looked as bad if not worse than most Saturn games. And that framerate, you aren't kidding, I put in the Saturn version first and when I went to the 3DO one it made my eyes hurt!!!!! I fully recant my previous listing, my poor memory made a horrible liar out of me!
I was gonna' say . . .

The Saturn version of GEX was amazing. 3DO version and then Playstation. I really love the way the controls feel in the Saturn version as well. Great version of the game that nobody bought because "Playstation is better than the yucky Saturn!" :roll: Not with 2D it isn't. I also recommend checking the huge differences between "Loaded" and "Skeleton Warriors" between PSX and Saturn, you might get a shock. :o
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:09 am

I was just really amazed. I mean my memory is pretty poor but to get the 3DO and Saturn reversed... Well at least maybe the shock will help me remember next time I feel like playing it.

Virtual Audio QSound
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Virtual Audio QSound » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:05 am

3DO Experience wrote:I was just really amazed. I mean my memory is pretty poor but to get the 3DO and Saturn reversed... Well at least maybe the shock will help me remember next time I feel like playing it.
It's okay bro, we all make mistakes every now and again. It's clear now that Saturn is superior. I favor the 3DO hardware greatly, that said even I'm jealous of the Saturn's marvelous performance.
T2KFreeker wrote:I was gonna' say . . .

The Saturn version of GEX was amazing. 3DO version and then Playstation. I really love the way the controls feel in the Saturn version as well. Great version of the game that nobody bought because "Playstation is better than the yucky Saturn!" :roll: Not with 2D it isn't. I also recommend checking the huge differences between "Loaded" and "Skeleton Warriors" between PSX and Saturn, you might get a shock. :o
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world who appreciates the Saturn despite Playstations accomplishments. When Saturn is brought up seems like it's always viewed for it's failures. I wish people back then would've acknowledged it more.

For a time I felt like it was a crappy purchase upon acknowledging how socially unaccepted it was (realization set in years after purchase) until I experienced the library again and remembered why I fell in love with the system. I just wish more people could see what I saw in the Saturn, then maybe I wouldn't see myself as crazy for enjoying it.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:46 pm

Heh I scoffed at it when the Saturn came out, then I got one a few year back and I play it all the time. I'm going to play GEX on it in a little bit.

Virtual Audio QSound
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Virtual Audio QSound » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:44 pm

'Tis ashame, I'm glad you were able to see passed twisted perception the public has established for Saturn though. If you're a hardware guy then you might be aware of Saturn's raw power. It could run things better than most consoles at the time based off technical prowess. It usually offered the best version of multiplats. Take NBA JAM T.E., Megaman 8, MK Trilogy, and X-Men vs. Street Fighter, the performance was brilliant!

If you're into the Arcade scene then Saturn was THE place to be for consolizing your Arcade experience. It garners a vast library of SHMUPS, solid versions of some NeoGeo classics, Guardian Heroes, Vs. Series, X-Men:COTA, MSH, Virtua Fighter II', Virtua Cop, and Die Hard: Arcade, still to this day Saturn retains value.

It's AV capabilities is second only to high end systems like the DC, X360, and PS3 because the picture your getting will always look outstanding. Even an HD set would do the Saturn's S-Video justice. Have you seen SFA:A in PS2's Component and compared it to the Saturn's S-Video or RGB Output for that matter? The PS2 port looks atrocious which is disappointing for a high-end platform.

Rust
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Rust » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:28 pm

Austin wrote: The PS sequel, yes.. But the original was pretty much identical to the 3DO version and the overall framerate may be smoother, too. That's a tiny detail, but from what I could tell, both are the same, give or take some hidden stages or features that I'm not too educated about.
The hidden stages are worth educating yourself. The sci-fi world contains some of the most interesting and experimental levels in the game, and include warps to two (IIRC) hidden minigames. Beating the sci-fi world unlocked alternate credits which included a gallery of concept art with a storyboard that unveils the surprising original plot premise which was thrown out in favour of the TV world.

Virtual Audio QSound
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Virtual Audio QSound » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:05 pm

Cartoon World was the shit!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:29 am

Yeah all the extra hidden is awesome.
I was playing the Saturn and got a little board so I started messing around and I think I killed my ActionReplay.

Virtual Audio QSound
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Virtual Audio QSound » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:09 pm

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU--!!

I know exactly how you feel man. I remember when my Action Replay's life was claimed by a thunderstorm. Happened after I created a bunch of codes and used them on Marvel Super Heroes! (Action Replay's code was easy to crack) so I play the game, everything is like normal until I turned on the Saturn again. All I kept getting was autoboot when disc is inserted and the system menu, my Action Replay was shot. :( Luckily I managed to get another one at the same price, I was most fortunate that there were plenty available at the time.

That day I learned a valuable lesson, never play the Saturn during a storm at least not without a surge protector!

Question: How did you damage yours?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:45 pm

I was putting in a new code and it hung on the save so I turned off the Saturn and now the AR just sits on it's logo screen. I bought the one with the port on top so I could back up my save games. So I'll try to mess with it via PC, if it's dead than I'll put down some cash for another porter one and I'll paint the old case black and swap the insides.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:33 pm

Wow.. I didn't know the Action Replay units had problems like that. I've only used mine as a backup memory unit for when my battery dies, and to play imports and games that use the extra RAM. I will definitely stay away from trying codes in the future!

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:56 pm

Virtual Audio QSound wrote:'Tis ashame, I'm glad you were able to see passed twisted perception the public has established for Saturn though. If you're a hardware guy then you might be aware of Saturn's raw power. It could run things better than most consoles at the time based off technical prowess. It usually offered the best version of multiplats. Take NBA JAM T.E., Megaman 8, MK Trilogy, and X-Men vs. Street Fighter, the performance was brilliant!
Mortal Kombat Trilogy? Really? I'm on a discussion board for the Saturn(my favorite gaming console), and the guys were just talking about how MK Trilogy is such a terrible game for the system.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Street Fighter Alpha 2, Powerslave, or Grandia. Seems those are the ones I'm always seeing mentioned for superiority to Playstation versions.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:24 pm

Martin III wrote:
Virtual Audio QSound wrote:'Tis ashame, I'm glad you were able to see passed twisted perception the public has established for Saturn though. If you're a hardware guy then you might be aware of Saturn's raw power. It could run things better than most consoles at the time based off technical prowess. It usually offered the best version of multiplats. Take NBA JAM T.E., Megaman 8, MK Trilogy, and X-Men vs. Street Fighter, the performance was brilliant!
Mortal Kombat Trilogy? Really? I'm on a discussion board for the Saturn(my favorite gaming console), and the guys were just talking about how MK Trilogy is such a terrible game for the system.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Street Fighter Alpha 2, Powerslave, or Grandia. Seems those are the ones I'm always seeing mentioned for superiority to Playstation versions.
Mortal Kombat Trilogy is a terrible game if it isn't on Saturn. Between the funky sound on the N64 version and the horrible load times and missing frames of animation on the Playstation version, it's a wonder that it sold so well. The Saturn version of MK Trilogy was awesome. Plus to boot, it's very rare, so have fun finding one.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:48 am

Oh Martin.... Grandia! I remember this on the PlayStation, I had been burned out of RPGs for a long time but I had just finished played Ocarina of Time and saw the intro video to this game. It was enough to get me playing. It really was a masterpiece and since I got a Saturn I've wanted to go back and try it on that system but there seems to be no translation. I can't believe that one of the greatest RPGs for the system has never gotten a fan translation! All I've read shows it was superior to the PS port in every way but no one has translated it (as far as I can find). The English PS port wasn't translated correctly from what bilingual people say so I can see how players wouldn't want to just take the text from that one.... This really drives me nuts.

Oh and for a cool Grandia vs Final Fantasy VII article go here.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:29 am

3DO Experience wrote:Oh Martin.... Grandia! I remember this on the PlayStation, I had been burned out of RPGs for a long time but I had just finished played Ocarina of Time and saw the intro video to this game. It was enough to get me playing. It really was a masterpiece and since I got a Saturn I've wanted to go back and try it on that system but there seems to be no translation. I can't believe that one of the greatest RPGs for the system has never gotten a fan translation! All I've read shows it was superior to the PS port in every way but no one has translated it (as far as I can find). The English PS port wasn't translated correctly from what bilingual people say so I can see how players wouldn't want to just take the text from that one.... This really drives me nuts.
There is a fan translation for the Saturn version, though it's only 2/3 complete; they stopped when the Playstation localization was announced. And yes, it is indeed better than the Playstation translation(though the PS translation isn't that bad from what I've seen). It's called The Alent Project, and you can still get it on GameFAQs here. Like I said, it's only about 2/3 complete, but they translated the first 10 hours and last 10 hours of the game first, so most of the most important parts are there.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:47 am

Well I kinda meant translation as an in-game translation. But this is good if someone does the other third maybe it will eventually happen.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:02 pm

action replays are like a consumable.

Mine let's me boot imports still, but the RAM and save functions are long gone.

Virtual Audio QSound
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Virtual Audio QSound » Tue May 03, 2011 4:56 am

sneth wrote:action replays are like a consumable.

Mine let's me boot imports still, but the RAM and save functions are long gone.
Do you usually have yours plugged through a surge protector? Is it actively seated on top of your Saturn or do you take it out from time-to-time? I'm asking because I want to preserve my Action Replay for as long as possible, any steps for a greater improvement is necessary.

To the other guy, besides RGB capabilities, what exactly about the Saturn's Alpha 2 exceeds the PS1 version? I always thought Alpha 3 was superior while the other 2 PS ports were on par with the Saturn (save for video output).

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed May 04, 2011 1:38 am

Pretty sure the animation is better and the load times are faster. Don't quote me on that though...

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed May 04, 2011 5:39 pm

Virtual Audio QSound wrote:To the other guy, besides RGB capabilities, what exactly about the Saturn's Alpha 2 exceeds the PS1 version? I always thought Alpha 3 was superior while the other 2 PS ports were on par with the Saturn (save for video output).
Here's a page logging the most obvious differences.

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed May 04, 2011 7:32 pm

Ah, interesting, thanks for posting that. It looks like there are some background elements missing from the PSX version, but it's not as obvious as I thought it would be.