The memories...Also what happens to the old games

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:20 am

3DO Experience wrote:I really don't understand why some people hate DC controllers so much. Maybe they were meant for those of us with smaller hands? But there are third party controllers....
I love the Dreamcast, I really do. But the controllers are wrist-shattering. The grips are angled the wrong way.

Wait, how did we end up on this topic in this thread?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:39 am

Oh and yeah the N64 & CD-i controllers were really bad.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:41 am

N64 is one of the most comfortable controllers ever.

I'm convinced that everyone who says it's bad was trying to use the center stick when holding the left grip. I've seen too many people do that.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:42 am

I can't even find a real CD-i controller that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. :(
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:46 am

Trev wrote:I can't even find a real CD-i controller that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. :(
Ugh, try finding CD32 controllers. When I bought my system, it came with a busted controller. The seller was nice enough to send another one.. But it was busted, too. (Yeah, thanks for that!)

I ended up teaching myself to solder so I could replace a capacitor in the controller. It was just as a wild guess that it was the problem because '90s caps are so awful. But hey, I was right and have two controllers now! I could probably get $30 or so for one on eBay.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:53 am

Mobius wrote:N64 is one of the most comfortable controllers ever.

I'm convinced that everyone who says it's bad was trying to use the center stick when holding the left grip. I've seen too many people do that.
Yes they are very comfortable I just don't like changing my hand position in the middle of a game, that and the stick ends up going limp after too many hours of use.

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:09 am

Why do you have to change your hand position? It's not like games use both the d-pad and the stick.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:34 am

When you are playing games that use the analog for character and d-pad for menus

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:06 pm

That's weird. I don't think I ever played an N64 game that did that.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:32 am

I just made an attempt to port KT to DC useing a WinCE SDK.... I am in over my head here.

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:42 pm

Killing Time to DC?

I bet that would improve the frame rate haha

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:40 pm

As a side note...I wonder if Acclaim ended up with the IP rights to Killing Time.

They were working on a port to PS1 / Saturn, which never ended up released (and as far as I can tell, nothing EVER leaked of it either. Torus Games was aparently working on it per an interview on Australian IGN, but no evidence of anything shown except one poster) so I think it's possible that Acclaim ended up with the rights.

Now that Acclaim is dead, whoever ended up with Acclaim may be the one in posession (if anything still exists) of anything KT related.

I know Assembler on the assembler boards got an entire haul of Acclaim back up tapes, but nothing Killing Time was listed on the file index's he published with each file download.

So maybe Trip still owns it, or maybe Acclaim owned it, and whoever ended up with Acclaims catalog of games now currently owns it.

It's so hard to track anything down when at least three companies that have worked on it (3DO / Studio 3DO / Acclaim) have all gone under

Now 3DO Experience...finish that Dreamcast port! haha

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:42 pm

Apparently Playdom (never heard of them) acquired Acclaim, so they may be the end owners of anything Killing Time related

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playdom

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:09 pm

awbacon wrote:(...)
So maybe Trip still owns it, or maybe Acclaim owned it, and whoever ended up with Acclaims catalog of games now currently owns it.
(...)
Not so good news from Trip:
http://blogs.forbes.com/williampbarrett ... -shelters/

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:18 pm

hahaha

or maybe very shortly the Federal Government will own Killing Time source codes!

If that happens...they can keep my tax refunds. I will trade my three grand return for some sweet sweet Killing Time shit hahahahaha

Side note : I have started to "beat the bush" on some sources that worked on Killing Time. Hopefully given my background (filmmaker / done work for some gaming sources) and my very polite asking for info will get SOMETHING

or maybe everything Killing Time has already been discovered...who knows

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:31 pm

as a side note

E3, LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 13, 1996--Acclaim Entertainment, Inc. (NASDAQ: AKLM) and The 3DO Company (NASDAQ: THDO) have announced they have entered into a multi-product license agreement in which Acclaim is bringing three of the world's most popular 3DO(R) titles to next-generation gaming systems for the first time ever. Beginning this summer, 3DO favorites Star Fighter(TM), Killing Time(TM) and BattleSport(TM) will be available for the Sony PlayStation(TM) and Sega Saturn(TM). Additionally, BattleSport will be available for PC CD-ROM.

From my non-lawyer training (tons of contract experience, but no law degree)

they entered into a "multi-product license agreement"

translation = 3DO never signed the ownership / IP rights to the three games to Acclaim. They just licensed (the same as I do with my films that go to distribution) the rights to create ports.

So in that respect, with any lack of other evidence, 3DO / Studio 3DO would have retained ownership...and perhaps Trip still owns the rights himself?

It's a crazy, tangled mess for sure!

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:32 pm

Do you think the DC could do a 3DO emulator? ;)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:47 pm

Well I was trying to port the PC version of the game....

Gir Draxa
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Gir Draxa » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:20 am

Austin wrote:Do you think the DC could do a 3DO emulator? ;)
DC could probably handle it, but we're probably long off from it happening. Long ago, the Freedo guys were promising a DC port of the emu, but I think in the end it was just a pipe dream.

Refinement of the main emulator for the PC should have been their goal first. But not to the refinement level demands of something like Bleem for DC.

Drax
CEO of The (in search of a home) CD-i & 3DO Collectives

Just slightly behind at being ahead of our time!

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:13 am

3DO Experience wrote:Well I was trying to port the PC version of the game....
I mean, I'm not downplaying the awesomeness of that.. because, seriously. That is pretty awesome! :D

That, and the PC version is soo much more playable than the 3DO one..

*ducks and runs for his life*

:lol:

Virtual Audio QSound
3DO ZERO USER

Re: The memories...Also what happens to the old games

Post by Virtual Audio QSound » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:07 pm

Vance wrote:
Rincewind wrote:(yes I will admit most of the games I have are *cough* ahem, are burns :oops: , but I have all the games I need, and I do have at least some originals that were shipped with my 3DO, Hell, Doom, Gex, and Road Rash but none in their original boxes or any manuals).
Yeah, this is... yeah.
Doesn't CD burns hurt the motor/laser though? Heard they have to struggle in order to register the disc.
~Panasonic 3DO R.E.A.L. Interactive Multiplayer~

Aw yeah. 3DO is the real deal.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:48 am

If your burns are crappy but still manage to play than yes. But lets face it, the chances of a poor burn working on a 3DO are pretty slim.

Virtual Audio QSound
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Virtual Audio QSound » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:26 pm

3DO Experience wrote:If your burns are crappy but still manage to play than yes. But lets face it, the chances of a poor burn working on a 3DO are pretty slim.
Everytime I tried to play SSF2T it sucked. It would or wouldn't start and if it did play, it would skip after long durations of gameplay. I burned this game a couple of times using different methods but no deals.

However Sailor Moon appears to work flawless. Should I just keep using the original SSF2T but play my back-up copy of SM. Or would it be viable to just play both originals?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:32 am

If you don't have any problems with SM and you don't hear the laser going crazy when reading the disc than go ahead and use your backup. As for SSF2T, just use the original disc.

Virtual Audio QSound
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Virtual Audio QSound » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:42 am

Sounds good to me.