3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:31 pm

bonefish wrote:Horray for iso :)
I hear that brother :)

ILUV3DO
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ILUV3DO » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:15 am

For me, collecting is a kind of fantasy fulfillment. In my head I guess I will always be that 15 year old kid who saw all that cool stuff and really wanted it but didn't have the money to buy it. Now that I'm grown up and have the money I can make all those 15 year old dreams come true. In this way I am different than many other "collectors" out there. I only collect what I like. Do I possess some items that are rare and worth a little coin? Perhaps, but by and large my collection is worthless compared to most peoples collections. At least from a $$ standpoint. But it is not worthless to me as it is connected to me in some emotional way, by a memory that it stirs or by the joy I had in using it. For example, my favorite comic superhero team is "The New Warriors" and my favorite super-hero is "Speedball". Most people are going to say "Who?" Because not many people know about them, they are not really that sought after. That didn't stop me from seeking out every appearance of every member of the team. My "New warriors" collection is worth nothing next to someone else's "X-Men" collection. But I wouldn't trade it for all the money in the world. It's mine. When I want to I have the ability to pull it out, dust it off and enjoy it. It's the same thing with video games for me. I collect what I want to play and WILL play everything I collect. It will however be in as pristine condition as possible both before and after I am through with it. So you see, I won't go after really rare items just because they are rare. Instead, I go after the stuff I would love to play. If by chance an item I would love to play or am interested in happens to be a rare or collectible item (and just by virtue of being a 3DO fan, many items are) then that makes it even more special to me because I know I am one of only a select few who was fortunate enough to experience that otherwise limited experience. I believe the best collections are ones that reflect their owners. Your collection should say something about who you are. I know people collect for many different reason and some of those reasons have been mentioned in this thread, money, greed, pride. I actually wouldn't knock any of those reasons to collect. I think they are all valid. Like someone else said earlier, if someone works hard for their money they should be able to do whatever they want with it. I however do not collect for any of those reasons. (Though they can be perks along the way.) I collect because I love what I'm collecting and....

ILUV3DO!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:59 pm

For me I do have to hate some collectors. I hate the ones that buy tons of stuff just to have it. I now understand if you buy something and never play it, I used to say I hated that but some games and controllers just suck even though you like the way the look or have always wanted one. But those I hate are the ones who collect just to have it in order to say "look I have this, you don't, I don't care about it and you do but you'll never have it because I rock so much". They REALLY piss me off !

If you don't care about something than don't buy-and-tease you jack off !
People like that can bite my tit, and they always have something just stuffed at the bottom of a closet that I want that they won't trade or sell ONLY because that means you're envy will slightly decrease.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:22 pm

3DO Experience wrote:For me I do have to hate some collectors. I hate the ones that buy tons of stuff just to have it. I now understand if you buy something and never play it, I used to say I hated that but some games and controllers just suck even though you like the way the look or have always wanted one. But those I hate are the ones who collect just to have it in order to say "look I have this, you don't, I don't care about it and you do but you'll never have it because I rock so much". They REALLY piss me off !

If you don't care about something than don't buy-and-tease you jack off !
People like that can bite my tit, and they always have something just stuffed at the bottom of a closet that I want that they won't trade or sell ONLY because that means you're envy will slightly decrease.
Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Or is it contextual?

desiv
3DO ZERO USER

Post by desiv » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:27 pm

I have to admit, I've never heard that particular colloquialism either.
And google search gave me some very interesting reading ..er.. I mean results (of course I didn't read them...), but not that helped with the localization of that phrase..

desiv

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:59 pm

desiv wrote:I have to admit, I've never heard that particular colloquialism either.
And google search gave me some very interesting reading ..er.. I mean results (of course I didn't read them...), but not that helped with the localization of that phrase..

desiv
Of course you didn't read them, you looked at them ;)
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:10 pm

I've been researching this for an hour and still no explanation. I'm going to try using two hands in a minute. ;)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:04 am

it's like "kiss my ass" could be good or bad depending on how you use it.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:41 am

kissing mine is widely considered bad.

desiv
3DO ZERO USER

Post by desiv » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:47 pm

I will NOT even go to the obvious "widely" reference!
I'm so above that type of comment.. :roll:

And er.. what was the original topic again? I have no idea how we got here.

Oh well, back to research.. I mean work..

desiv

p.s. Oh yeah, resentment towards collectors!! It's such an obvious path!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:09 pm

desiv wrote:And er.. what was the original topic again? I have no idea how we got here.
you'll notice that happens a lot here :wink:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:09 pm

...and as soon as we find out who is responsible for most of the derailing, we will ban his ass. :wink:

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:00 am

his? ok I'm safe.. for a sec there I got scared

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:57 am

Shhh. They haven't noticed.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:14 pm

collectors are tossers.
i've been collecting for a good while now..

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:42 am

This is one of things that put me off retro gamer magazine in the UK. Rev Stuart D**k-splash Campbell came on the forum and declared all collectors tossers.