Your first 3DO, where did you buy it and for how much?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Your first 3DO, where did you buy it and for how much?

Post by T2KFreeker » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:14 pm

Yeah, just wondering guys, what's the stiry?

I got the FZ-1 about a week after it released at Game Dude. I worked there so I was able to do a "Pay It Off" deal with my boss. Paid the full $700.00 for mine and even got a second controller to boot! :lol: I so remember playing the Hell out of Crash N' Burn and just in general being wowed over the demo disc as I loved the Batman clip and the look of Jurassic Park Interactive. My next game was Dragon's Lair. Then there was Escape From Monster Manor that I paid $69.99 for at EB when it released. :shock:
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:22 pm

After eyeing the 3DO for months, I finally picked one up in late '95. I got the original FZ-1 model, and besides Crash n' Burn it came w/a couple other titles (Jurrasic Park, Interplay demo, and some other stuff I can't remember) I paid less than $200 for it all, and to this day it probably remains the best value for the buck I've ever had. Years laters I traded my older FZ-1 for the Goldstar model (a move which I have since regretted)

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:23 pm

I got my FZ-1 in August '06. About a week after my birthday I was looking for crap to buy and I've been wanting a 3DO since a few months before. I managed to snag one on ebay for somewhere around $60-$75. It was the FZ-1, 3 controllers, 11 games and 4 demo discs.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:26 pm

@Trev; Ahh, the Goldstar unit. What is yours doing that is pissing you off? I may have a fix for you to get it running up to snuff again. :twisted: Nothing a Sledge Hammer won't fix, I am sure! Seriously though, I used to repair these things.

@Tancred; Nice to see new fans of the older systems show up. Looks like my prediction about Retro Gaming becoming the status quo is coming true.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:26 pm

1997 from funcoland for $70 with 5 games
the Goldstar system was $39.99 and is still working flawlessly

edited because of dead brain cells
Last edited by Lemmi on Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:32 pm

@Trev; Ahh, the Goldstar unit. What is yours doing that is pissing you off? I may have a fix for you to get it running up to snuff again. Nothing a Sledge Hammer won't fix, I am sure! Seriously though, I used to repair these things.
It seems to be making quite a bit of noise lately. Sometimes games won't load the first time I pop them in. I've also had an occasional game reset midway through :x The cd drawer seems to be getting finicky too ... sometimes it spits out the game, othertimes I can't open it! I've actually never had trouble w/it all these yrs., but perhaps age is fianlly catching up with it. That, or I just play it too much :wink: Maybe I should try the FZ-10 w/it's flip top lid ...

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:45 pm

T2KFreeker wrote:@Tancred; Nice to see new fans of the older systems show up. Looks like my prediction about Retro Gaming becoming the status quo is coming true.
I'm only 18 years old and as a kid I only had a SNES and an original game boy. I got a PS2 about a year after it came out. I had to get a new one about a year and a half later because its a piece of shit console with a worthless laser that can't read diddly squat. Around December '05 I didn't really have much interest in my PS2 for quite a while and my buddy was telling me that maybe we should get Dreamcasts because they're pretty cheap and don't require any modification to play bootleg games. For an unemployed short on cash student, it sounded like pretty good deal to me.

So yea, since December '05 I've picked up 2 Dreamcasts, a Saturn, 5 Genesis', Sega CD, Sega 32x, Gameboy color, an N64, a Jaguar, and this 3DO. I still have my old gameboy but my folks sent away my SNES to a relative in Ukraine so I bought myself an FC Twin recently. I also have a Power base converter to play Master System games on the Genesis but only 1 Master System game so far (Lord Of The Sword). The N64 and Atari Jaguar I never touch. And I don't play the gameboys either really but the other consoles I play fairly frequently.

I also picked up another Saturn and another Genesis just recently. It was a cheap auction and both consoles were untested. When I got them they both worked normally. I'll clean 'em up a bit and try to sell 'em.

Getting into old school consoles was a great decision for me as I've been having a ton of fun. My PS2 is pretty much collecting dust as I've barely been playing it.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:48 pm

The Octagon Shopping Center in Burton-upon-Trent. The day after the UK Launch and I paid the full whack £400.00. Or as many people put it "How f**king much?!?!"

I got Super Wing Commander and Total Eclipse. Both of which I still have to this day.

:D

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:33 am

Oh no! Only 100 topics in this forum, and we're already starting to recycle thread ideas!

http://cdinteractive.co.uk/3do/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:36 am

Mobius wrote:Oh no! Only 100 topics in this forum, and we're already starting to recycle thread ideas!

http://cdinteractive.co.uk/3do/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24
haha man i smoked to much pot in my youth and my memory sucks, im always alittle off when i try to remember the past
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:00 am

My bad, sorry about that. Bound to happen sooner or later. :oops:

Dryden
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dryden » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:08 am

I got my original FZ1 at a game trading store in '94 ... cost me about $400 in cash and my SNES w/ around 10-15 games trade-in.

Gir Draxa
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Gir Draxa » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:08 am

Heh, I pawned a 32X and games for $150 cash (practically the launch of the 32X), and bought the 3DO and 20 games from a guy in the 2nd year of it's life. Intresting side note, I lost the 3DO on pawn, but later bought it back for $5 and $1 per game. LOL

Drax
CEO of The (in search of a home) CD-i & 3DO Collectives

Just slightly behind at being ahead of our time!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:29 pm

Heh, I pawned a 32X and games for $150 cash (practically the launch of the 32X), and bought the 3DO and 20 games from a guy in the 2nd year of it's life.
32X for 3DO ... sounds like a good trade to me! :) I sold my 32X on Ebay a few yrs. ago ... of course I ended up buying another one a couple yrs. later. (the plight of a collector ... can't let things go. :roll: )

fish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by fish » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:19 pm

I got a Goldstar 3DO in late 95 for £299 and it was bundled with FIFA. I wanted one ever since its UK launch a year earlier as my uncle had an FZ-1. I think I paid £150 with my Amiga 1200 used as a trade in. I felt that the Goldstar was inferior to the FZ1, I had problems with one or two games and it's fairly ugly in my opinion, lol! So now I have an FZ1 and FZ10

klogg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by klogg » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:55 pm

I got a FZ-1 later'94, used. It came with NFS, Gex and Road Rash. I paid for that $700. Yes, that's a big number to pay for a used system, but the price of the 3DO here in Brazil in that time was about $1000.

I made a horrible mistake selling it by end'96, just to buy a PSX. That error keep haunted me until some years back, when I buyed the system back, for merelly $20. Now I have 2 consoles, and my collection of games keeps growing and growing.

BTW, is far bigger now than was on that time. 3do games are cheap now, but pretty difficult to find.