Sound problem with freedo 2.1 alpha english version.

4DO & Freedo, we have tried playing some 200 games on them - if you have a question we might be able to help!

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

daithi1101
3DO ZERO USER

Sound problem with freedo 2.1 alpha english version.

Post by daithi1101 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:25 am

Hi all I wonder if anybody can help me? I have windows vista 32bit and freedo 2.1 alpha, I can run the emulator perfectly and at full speed but my problem is there is no sound at all on any game! My machine specs are as follows:
windows visat hom eedition 32bit
intel dual core 2.8 ghz
3070mb ram
nvidia geforce 8600gt

I can run anything on this machine but as ofr yet i have no sound for 3do, its really annoying too as I was one of those people who shelled out £400 for the panasonic FZ10 on its release day :) Id love to get thi sworking properly so I can re-live some of those games.....

I have tried searching everywhere but as far as I can see most people have some sound.....

regads,

David.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:03 pm

I have not heard of people having no sound. Here's some ideas I have. Under the Sound menu, the top line I think is the volume. It should be at 100% , Make sure in windows vista sound mixer that you dont have the sound completly down for Freedo, remember vista has per app sound control.

It looks like FreeDO uses openal for sound. You didn't specify your sound card, which is really important to help you with your sound... :? If it's a stand alone card, go to it's manufacture site and get the latest driver from there. If it's a chipset on the mobo, Check your mobo manufacture's website, or who ever made your computer's website to see if there is an updated sound driver. If the driver is old, I'd try going straight to the chipset maker's site and getting the drivers from there. Sometimes the computer manufacturers are lazy about the sound drivers if they deem that nothing is broken. Another thing, you can try re-installing OpenAL from the OpenAL site. Vista came with it I believe but it wouldn't hurt. And finally, good luck.

daithi1101
3DO ZERO USER

Post by daithi1101 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:40 pm

Hi mate thanx for the response, my soundcard is a soundblaster x-fi. I tried installing freedo v1.7 and I had sound although it's a very choppy? I'll try ur ideas tonight when I get back and I'll update u with my progress.
David

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:24 pm

my SB X-Fi just completly stopped working. Not a fan of those cards anymore. Hopefully its not your card acting up. 1.7 didnt use OpenAL so it might have something to do with OpenAL. And 1.7 is choppy on Vista. I think 1.6 doesn't have the bug though. But 2.1 alpha works much better though.

daithi1101
3DO ZERO USER

Post by daithi1101 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:51 pm

Tried all you suggested but no joy! There is nothing at all sound wise. I have never had thi sproblem with any other software or emulator before now. Any ideas?

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:13 am

I can only suggest one last thing and it probably wont work or even be related, but try updating direct x. After that, you will have updated everything that the emulator could even be using.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/d ... 6652cd92a3

daithi1101
3DO ZERO USER

Post by daithi1101 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:38 am

I tried that too but no joy. I have 1.6.1 running with sound fine and its the only version that runs correctly, 1.7 and 1.8 run slower but with choppy sound whereas 2.1 runs 100% and looks best but no sound at all. My problem with 1.6 is that the full screen option looks pants on my flatscreen tv and as far as I can tell there is no option to change the resolution. I have fiddled with extrapolation but that doesnt cut it as Im playing my emulators through maximus arcade on my 50" plasma. Its such a pity because 2.1 alpha looks great in fullscreen as it keeps its aspect ratio. Every emulator Im running looks great except my beloved 3do. I'm also havein difficulties with freedo wrapper through Maximus but thats a story for another day. :(