What's your 3DO story?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Mobius

What's your 3DO story?

Post by Mobius » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:01 am

How, when, and why did you originally buy the 3DO? Were you a deep-pocketed launch adopter? Did you buy it cheap as it was going down in price and fading from the mainstream? Or were you late to hop aboard?

Personally, I was pretty late to the show. Several years ago, I was on a video game collecting kick. But I wasn't attracted to rare, sought-after games or quality import titles. No, I liked the stuff that everyone else had passed off as "crap". I already had a Virtual Boy, and I was determined to build a collection of "failed" systems.

Why? I don't really know... But I think there's something incredibly satisfying about taking a system that most people have never even seen in person, let alone played or owned, and really digging into it to find its hidden gems. Every system has some redeeming quality about it, whether it was a marketplace success or not. Add to that the interesting histories and stories behind many of these pieces of hardware and software, and maybe it becomes a little easier to see the appeal. I've been playing games most of my life. Some of my earliest memories are playing my older brother's Atari 2600. So it's fun to dig into the hidden corners of a hobby I've enjoyed for so long.

In July 2000 (as my old posts to rec.games.video.3do tell me), I hit up eBay and bought myself a 3DO. At the time, I knew almost nothing about it. I wasn't aware that there were multiple models of the system. Hell, I didn't even know how many buttons the controller had! But the 3DO was a "failed" system with interesting hardware to tinker with and a ton of games to explore.

So I began reading 3DO fansites and asking questions on usenet. By the time the system arrived, I already knew far more about the 3DO than I did when I bid on it, and I was eager to dig in. I ripped open the box and I was pleased to discover that I had bought the FZ-1 model. There's something appealing about its form-factor -- it has a sophisticated look to it, contrasting the more prototypical video game console look of the FZ-10. Further inspecting the system, I was intrigued by the fact that it used standard ports for all of its outputs, rather than the proprietary plugs. It even had an S-video out! This was a classy system, indeed. I could definitely see the influence of the "multiplayer" aspect. This wasn't just a game console...

I don't remember the first game I tried, but it was probably Theme Park. Out of the games included in the auction, several were PC classics that I fondly remembered and was looking forward to playing again. The aforementioned Theme Park (I had loaned my PC version to a friend and never got it back!), The Horde, The Incredible Machine, and Star Control II all fell into that category.

Whichever game it was, I was eager to try out my new 3DO. I hooked the system up, turned it on, and popped in the first disc... And nothing. No matter how many times I opened and closed the tray or how many different discs I tried, I always got that damn logo instructing me to put a disc in the tray! Crap. I had been scammed and was sold a broken system! I tinkered for a while, but it was not to be. I fired off an angry e-mail to the seller, telling him I discovered it was broken, and demanding my money back. Naturally, I didn't get a reply.

Well, with a busted system (a bad laser, maybe?), I didn't have much better to do than the same thing I do with every video game console I buy -- open it up and see what makes it tick. But, oh! Now that I look a little closer, I think I might see what's wrong. When the tray is closed, there's a bit of a gap between the bezel and the rest of the case. Something's out of whack.

So with it open, I looked at the drive mechanism and, sure enough, the pieces weren't all lined up the way I figured they probably should be. But, a little bit of careful prodding and nudging wasn't getting everything back into place. Finally, I just gave everything a good hard push, and there was a satisfying "Pop!" and everything snapped into place. I quickly reassembled everything and tried again. And glory of glories, I had a working 3DO!

I sent another e-mail to the seller, letting him know that I had fixed it by opening it up and putting everything back into place, and that I no longer needed my money back. I received his relieved-sounding reply shortly thereafter, in which he lamented the poor treatment UPS gives its packages. Whether it really was UPSes fault (and it very well could have been, given the nature of the problem) or if he sold me what he thought was a broken system, I'll never know. But frankly, it doesn't really matter. He got his money and positive feedback, and I got my shiny new 3DO.

That's my story. What's yours?

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:16 am

nice story Mobius

i remember reading about the 3DO from the videogame magazines i bought in 1994 when the system was dropped to $599 from the $699 start price and i remember thinking i will never own one of those and just kept playing NHL Hockey on my Genesis

Then 3 short years later my story starts when Funcoland/Gamestop now opened in my area in March of 1997

It first started with the Sega CD2 model, my first CD based system and the system that started my videogame collecting frenzy.
then i moved onto my 2nd CD based system the 3DO Goldstar system 1 month later (i still have the receipts from my purchaces from Funcoland)
on April 8th 1997 i bought my first system along with the games Slayer, Ballz, Shockwave2, Dragons Lair, Quarantine, and Pebble Beach Golf for a total of $71. I then found a brand new FZ-10 system at Media Play for $43 the last one left and from 4-8-97 to 10-3-99 i collected 53 games from fleamarkets and various videogame stores that were liquidating their 3DO games.

i also found a rare gem of a system in the garbage during this time and that was the Philips CD-i 220 system with 2 controllers and 12 games :D i thought it was an old VCR with metal parts i could use/fix. the only problem with it was the door wouldnt open i fixed that by just taking the top off and manually ejecting the game when done :D

Then the dark silent years appeared from December 1999 to April 2002 i wasted 2 years playing Everquest and didnt collect anything but Levels and Platinum

After that phase was over i discovered EPAY and the flood gates opened up and when all was said and done i had collected all the US released games and tons of accessories even the 3DO wheel

well thats all for now my hunt and peck typing style is making my eyes blurry :D
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:06 am

September 9th 1994. I was there. Of cause. I'm 3DO Kid :)

I was a release day (UK) early adopter. £400, which equates to about $800 US at the moment, at the time I think it was closer $700.

There is a UK magazine called Edge which was new back then. It was terribly well written, nice paper and lots of fancy pictures. I was sold on the images of Shock Wave. Specifically this one:

Very similiar anyway.

I'd never seen anything like this before on a computer system. I had been a Atari ST fan and an Amiga fan.

Armed with £300 of my own money and £200 of my sisters money I bought one. Cash. On the day of release. With Total Eclipse and Wing Commander special edition.

About 4 or 5 years ago I started looking for 3DO stuff and there wasn't much. The 3DO collective was kicking around and some other stuff but nothing too profound. I eventually opened a Freedo Compatability website

http://will20970.tripod.com

Which was even less impressive than the blog ;)

After ramping up my collection a wee bit - I decided on opening a blog.

dawid22
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dawid22 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:14 pm

Got mine last year, 2006, from a guy that needed money. Payed about $110 for the console, 2 controllers and 15 games :D

fish
3DO ZERO USER

I got the ugly Goldstar one in 1995

Post by fish » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:28 pm

I first got blown away by the 3DO when my uncle got an FZ 1 around the time it was launched in the UK. I had never heard of the machine and was amazed at what I saw! I was gutted when he said how much it cost (£400 I think), so I knew I couldn't get one. About a year later the Playstation and Saturn were released, which made 3DO's drop in price (still £300! and it was the Goldstar one). I got the 3DO Magazine and after reading the first few pages decided to spend all my pocket money and trade in my Amiga.

It was a pretty exciting time to have a 3DO as the M2 was planned as an add-on, which would have been out at the end of 96, but it never happened and the 3DO died. Games became very difficult to get hold of and when I couldn't get the last games (Olympic Soccer, Lucienne's Quest etc) I decided to trade it in for a Playstation, just for the new FIFA's and Resident Evil. I was never really impressed with it, Need For Speed 2 disappointed me when it came out, Wing Commander 4 was decent. But I've always believed that the Playstation flattered to deceive and did a damn fine job judging by how many sold!

I lost interest in gaming for a while, but once I got on the internet and discovered ebay a few years ago I knew I had to get one, I was amazed how easy they were to get hold of. I got the FZ-1 as it is by far the most elegant looking and have never looked back since!

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:50 pm

I've had my release 3DO since '94. I also have 3 Japanese Fz-1 which cost me shipping and an FZ-10 with VCD card. Also Japanese!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:21 pm

After months of drooling over pics of all the hot EA & Studio 3DO games, I finally got my FZ-1 in late '95 or early '96 (can't remember exactly). I got a real good deal, and the system came w/a couple games also. The first time I played it, my jaw dropped. (This was one of only two systems to have ever done this, the other being Dreamcast) The games were so amazing looking! I quickly forgot about my Genesis, and went to work collcting as many games as I could. The nice thing was that in 1996 3DO games were still readily available in all the stores, but because of the PSX, Saturn, and the imminent arrival of the N64, they were quite cheap. I got so many great brand new games for uder $20. I anxiously waited for the arrival of M2, only to see Matushita turn it into a kisok machine :x The next few yrs I moved on to newer machines, but my 3DO remianed hooked up for nosatlgic play. Than, like many, I discovered Ebay, and my collection grew considerably. With the discovery of the 3DO Zone forum, I look forward to continuing my fun w/my 3DO.
Last edited by Trev on Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dryden
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dryden » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:44 pm

Interesting site ... I figured I'd register and start here.

My introduction to the 3DO was in the summer of 1994. I was working at a VHS rental store in an outdoor strip mall at the time, when a video game trading shop opened in the unit next door to ours. I used to walk over there at lunch and play Rebel Assault on the demo unit.

By the time Thanksgiving of '94 rolled around, I begged and whined for $300 USD out of my father as often as I could bend his ear, angling to convince him to go get it before the Christmas rush. The $300 was just enough to cover the difference, after also having to provide a little of my own money out of pocket, on top of the complete trade-in of my SNES with around 15 games. That night I took home an FZ-1, two controllers, Twisted and Road Rash. For Christmas that year, I asked for nothing but 3DO games from every relative I figured would buy me a gift, so received a few more titles as the holiday season went on.

The week after I got my 3DO and nice library of titles, I saw Doom on a 386. :roll:

I essentially traded that 3DO in 1996 in exchange for a few months room and board with a friend -- I had my own 486 and the Internet by then, so I figured I had no more real want or need for the 3DO anymore.

In 2005, after suffering withdrawal pains from having not seen Star Control II in nearly 10 years, and mostly being completely fed up with the same old rehashed crap made today, I purchased an FZ-1 off eBay. I still pick up games here and there when I can find a bargain or when a title that catches my eye comes up on eBay.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:07 pm

Bumping for those of us who joined after 2007. :wink:
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:17 pm

I thought there was another thread like this one already? Could have sworn I've answered this one before.. :?

Hm, anyway, I got my first 3DO in the late '90s, I think at the end of the school year in '97 (May/June-ish). It was a Goldstar unit. Up to that point I didn't know much about the 3DO, other than I wanted one (I wanted everything back then, haha). My Mom was a schoolbus driver then, and my younger brother would ride along with her in the afternoons. He was very talkative, and spoke with a wide variety of people. One of them was a teen looking to sell his 3DO. My brother gave me the guy's information, and with permission from my parents, I withdrew what little savings I had (awesome parents, eh?), and I gave my Mom the money to buy the system for me.

It was a nice package, costing all of $65 or so, with a CIB system and a handful of games, like Bladeforce, Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Gex, Shockwave, and Fifa. The next couple of years I built a pretty hefty 3DO collection, and got to try out a lot of different titles. Since this was only a year or so after the system was officially toast in the marketplace, everything was cheap, even CIB. It was a good time to be a gamer..

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:26 am

Austin wrote:I thought there was another thread like this one already? Could have sworn I've answered this one before.. :?

I wouldn't be surprised if there was ... since I've been on my bumping kick, I've seen lots of similar posts (including some of my own) Plus I think I remember your story. Oh well, it's still nice to have some new chat even if it is familiar. :)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:33 pm

There is at least one more of these Austin. When was your 3DO cherry popped?
3DO Experience [size=75][i]via When was your 3DO cherry popped?[/i][/size] wrote:I had seen the 3DO for sale in Electronics Boutique for a while. It was in a city about an hour away so I couldn't go drool everyday. I saved my pennies, all 700 (600?) of them and got mine shortly before x-mas. I know it had to have been late Oct thru Dec because there was snow. When I bought it there wasn't as big a section as was devoted to SNES. I didn't have a whole lot of choices but I saw Escape from Monster Manor and it hadn't been on the wall the last time I was there. It looked different so I bought it with the system. I think it cost me an extra $60. Well worth it though! It was a while before the next time I got back. The next games I bought were Space Hulk, the box blew me away and Quarantine as I had heard it was good. Those were the days.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:10 am

3DO Experience wrote:There is at least one more of these Austin. When was your 3DO cherry popped?
Wow, and I didn't even tell my story in that thread? I must be tripping or something.. I thought I posted about it before, haha...

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:06 pm

Austin wrote:
3DO Experience wrote:There is at least one more of these Austin. When was your 3DO cherry popped?
Wow, and I didn't even tell my story in that thread? I must be tripping or something.. I thought I posted about it before, haha...
You must be tripping ... I thought I recognized the story, what does that say about me? :P

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:17 am

There could be other threads.

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:42 am

MIGHT AS WELL THROW...
my 'story' in here for the hell of it. It's not often anybody actually WANTS to know how I came by my 3DO, eh? :wink:

-

So, the story is a bit cliché to a point (the friend with the 3DO blah blah blah) but bear with me.

So yeah, had a friend who owned a 3DO. He wasn't rich or anything, so at that point, I did't really know how he came by this console. Ended up round at his one time after 'playing out' (remember that?). He invited me in to play whatever. Turns out he had this thing called a 3DO in his room. Never even heard of or seen one of these before at that point (like 94). Anyway, he had certain gems with it that we played: Need for Speed, Road Rash, Total Eclipse. Yeah: I was impressed. In future, I made it a point to somehow end up at his so we could 'inadvertently' play it. I definitely enjoyed it more than he did :P

But, how could I get one for myself?

Well, instead of taking that 'I saved up/swapped all my consoles & games' route, I just asked HIM outright: "What would you swap for your 3DO?". I think he was shocked that I cared THAT much, especially with Saturn & PS1 on the horizon and, to be honest, I don't think I expected anything to come of asking, but it was worth asking the question

Would you believe though, I DID score his 3DO and all his games (still own it all to this day). But how?

Ok. He wanted to swap his 3DO for my 'Diamond Back' BMX. These were all the rage here in the UK at the time and he wanted mine because it was a desirable bike, a Diamond Back no less (not quite a Mongoose, but still good). So yeah, we did the swap.

Slight technicality he was unaware of: Ummm... it wasn't 'actually' a Diamond Back. It was some sort of Raleigh I acquired off a mate on the cheap beforehand. I'd removed the unfashionable Raleigh stickers and replaced them with Diamond Back ones acquired form a local bike shop. Looked cool, but all in all, the whole bike cost me £30 :lol:

The best bit: it was stolen from him within a fortnight! Guess that was a 'done' deal then? I remember it happening too! Some randomer came up to us when we were hanging out one afternoon, admired his bike, and asked if he could have a go. And boy, did he go. Gone even. Like, forever *sigh*.

Anyway, I later found out that my friend had scored the 3DO through a divorce. When his parents split up (messily!) and they went their separate ways and the 'kid' ended up with the games console. Bless.

It's all down to fate in my book 8) :)

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:48 pm

Geez, poor guy...

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:23 pm

Martin III wrote:Geez, poor guy...
My thoughts also ...

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:54 pm

WELL, TO PUT CONCERNED MINDS...
at ease, I bumped into this old friend many years ago and thought it would be cool to drop into conversation "I still own that 3DO btw!"... to which he replied "What? What's a 3DO?".

When I embellished that it was that games console you had when we were kids he was still a bit hazy, but sort of knew what I was talking about.

Yep. Definitely better off in my hands guys. Still enjoyed, looked after and loved to this day...

andybthedj
3DO ZERO USER

Re: What's your 3DO story?

Post by andybthedj » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:58 pm

I grew up in Waterford, Michigan. This town was home to a place called Video Gamer. They rented out games for every system imagineable. I even rented CD-I games from this place. Anyway. I rented a 3DO system and Crash & Burn. It was $30 a night with a $300 deposit! I was blown away! But I could never actually afford such a magnificent piece of equipment. That was until about 1996. I bought that same 3DO I had rented for $150. At that time, Electronics Boutique, Babbages and FuncoLand were all trying to get rid of their 3DO stock. I was buying games by the boatload for just $10 a piece! I even had the rare game gun! I had amassed this 3DO treasure! Then in 1998 my house burned down along with my 3DO warchest. Now, I've been steadily trying to rebuild my collection. I picked up a 3DO FZ-1 at a used game shop with a handful of games for about $200. I just picked up a copy of Snow Job for $70! And the game gun? HA! I guess I can forget about getting that again.

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:01 pm

andybthedj wrote:I grew up in Waterford, Michigan. This town was home to a place called Video Gamer. They rented out games for every system imagineable. I even rented CD-I games from this place. Anyway. I rented a 3DO system and Crash & Burn. It was $30 a night with a $300 deposit! I was blown away! But I could never actually afford such a magnificent piece of equipment. That was until about 1996. I bought that same 3DO I had rented for $150. At that time, Electronics Boutique, Babbages and FuncoLand were all trying to get rid of their 3DO stock. I was buying games by the boatload for just $10 a piece! I even had the rare game gun! I had amassed this 3DO treasure! Then in 1998 my house burned down along with my 3DO warchest. Now, I've been steadily trying to rebuild my collection. I picked up a 3DO FZ-1 at a used game shop with a handful of games for about $200. I just picked up a copy of Snow Job for $70! And the game gun? HA! I guess I can forget about getting that again.
WELCOME TO 3DOØ DJ...

Great story, although, sorry to hear about the fire devastation. Yeah, I'm afraid that not all 3DO games can be had on the cheap anymore. Although, as with most systems, many of the good ones can still be had at great prices :)

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:58 am

andybthedj wrote:I grew up in Waterford, Michigan. This town was home to a place called Video Gamer. They rented out games for every system imagineable. I even rented CD-I games from this place. Anyway. I rented a 3DO system and Crash & Burn. It was $30 a night with a $300 deposit! I was blown away! But I could never actually afford such a magnificent piece of equipment. That was until about 1996. I bought that same 3DO I had rented for $150. At that time, Electronics Boutique, Babbages and FuncoLand were all trying to get rid of their 3DO stock. I was buying games by the boatload for just $10 a piece! I even had the rare game gun! I had amassed this 3DO treasure! Then in 1998 my house burned down along with my 3DO warchest. Now, I've been steadily trying to rebuild my collection. I picked up a 3DO FZ-1 at a used game shop with a handful of games for about $200. I just picked up a copy of Snow Job for $70! And the game gun? HA! I guess I can forget about getting that again.
I wouldn't be so sure. I got my 3DO Gamegun, not too long ago, for $37 shipped on Ebay. Not long after that, I saw another guy got some insane deal - I think it was the Gamegun plus six 3DO light gun games for $50 plus shipping. Granted, the gun doesn't pop up very often so you have to keep a patient eye out, but it's hardly unattainable.

I'm surprised you wanted to get Snow Job again that badly. Like most point-and-click adventures, its replay value is pretty much nil.

Oh, and welcome to the boards!

andybthedj
3DO ZERO USER

Post by andybthedj » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:59 am

I wouldn't be so sure. I got my 3DO Gamegun, not too long ago, for $37 shipped on evilbay. Not long after that, I saw another guy got some insane deal - I think it was the Gamegun plus six 3DO light gun games for $50 plus shipping. Granted, the gun doesn't pop up very often so you have to keep a patient eye out, but it's hardly unattainable.

I'm surprised you wanted to get Snow Job again that badly. Like most point-and-click adventures, its replay value is pretty much nil.

Oh, and welcome to the boards![/quote]

Thanks for the welcome! I'll have to keep my eyes peeled. The last gamegun I saw was on amazon for about $230. As far as Snow Job, I really enjoyed that game when I was younger. And I still do.

andybthedj
3DO ZERO USER

Post by andybthedj » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:18 pm

Of course I can only enjoy SnowJob with the music turned OFF. :)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:08 pm

andybthedj wrote:Of course I can only enjoy SnowJob with the music turned OFF. :)
Snow Job has an "interesting" soundtrack ... from the consistent "look out" lyrics of the opening track, to the 3DO stock music that plays in the arcade ... yep, "interesting".

I also enjoy the game, although I'm a big fan of the genre in general. Snow Job had some interesting ideas, and took some chances. Not everything worked out, but it tried.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:14 am

What I dislike about the music in Snow Job isn't so much the tunes itself as that there's so few of them, and that they loop so frequently. I played through the game with the music on just so I could take in the full experience, but I definitely felt the urge to shut it off more than once.

The good thing is, unlike shmups and RPGs, point-and-click adventures play pretty well without music, and thankfully Studio 3DO gave us that option.

Retrofanatic83
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Retrofanatic83 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:42 pm

I'd seen it on bad influence tv show in UK and a bit of it from magazines and in a local store they had one set up and I wanted it lots but never got one until about a week ago. Multi region thing and fact ntsc machines are faster plus I have used the seller many times so I bought and unboxed but very nice and clean FZ1 and waited patiently for it to arrive and when it did it all worked perfectly except my pal copy of alone in the dark wont run in it. Can anyone help me out and advise if the optimised pal version just won't run on an ntsc console/japanese one or if I have a dodgy disc?

knightintosh
3DO ZERO USER

Post by knightintosh » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:21 pm

I can't remember exactly what got me interested in 3DO, it may have been a Channel 4 Equinox programme on videogaming, which had some amazing footage of Madden and Road Rash. I started collecting Edge for its first year but once Playstation was announced all other systems may as well have been dropped. I still insist there was some sort of "arrangement" between Future and Sony...

Anyway, due to the cost I never got it the first year it was out here in the UK ('94), but I was in Scotland visiting family the summer of '95 in a wee small village called Crianlarich and my dad and I went all the way to Glasgow one afternoon on the bus and walked up what felt like the longest street in the world to get to playtest a FZ-1. It looked so awesome in the glass case and I wanted one badly. That Christmas I sold my old GameBoy and gave the money to mum & dad and they put it towards the 3DO (I think they wanted to make sure I was serious about it before they forked out for it) and for my birthday a few days in advance I got WCIII and Pebble Beach, then Starblade with it on Christmas Day (FZ-10).

By this time I'd collected 3DO Magazine for a year and was super hyped! But even then I could tell it wasn't being marketed or priced right. It was being treated as a piece of consumer electronics like a new kind of TV etc, very dear with hardly any marketing for the early adopters, then it'd come down in price, marketing would kick in, there'd be 3rd party support by then and it'd take off... but unfortunately that never happened and it should've been marketed as a new console firstly but that wasn't the idea behind it, and I can see why it came out the way it did. Reading the magazines now I can see so much potential it's heartbreaking...!

Anyway, I had it for a good few years then my pads broke. Gutted. My fondest memories are the many Saturday nights at a friend's house - him, his brother and me taking it in turns to play our own save games of WCIII for hours on end, jacked up on chocolate fudge cakes and fizzy drinks.

In 2011 I bought a FZ-1 and FZ-10 on eBay, intending to sell the FZ-1 but didn't as it was so cool looking, and went crazy on a spending spree, buying a couple of dozen games but only ever played about 5. After a year I had to sell the FZ-10 for the money and earlier this year, up to my eyeballs in debt I made some tough decisions. Sold the FZ-1 and the remaining games and my Wii U, worked loads of overtime, got into a Credit Union.... end of September and I'll be 100% debt free instead of paying off things monthly for years.

I'm the only person I know who'll be debt free (everything, not just the biggies that I had to sell my consoles for) so it’s going to be worth it all. And, unlike the Wii U, all along I've always intended to get back into 3DO :) but to do it properly this time, to buy a machine in great condition and buy only a couple of games at a time, like I would've back in the 90s if I'd been working and not at school. That way I know I’ll be more likely to build up a huge collection over time.

Sorry for the waffle, but there ya go, I'm just hyped! :D

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:58 am

Great story. You'll have to explain to me what "Sorry for the waffle" means; I don't think we have that expression on this side of the Atlantic.

The FZ-1 really is a cool-looking model, and the one I picked for myself. The FZ-10 is perhaps more sensible, but I'd never had a console with a front-loading tray before, and couldn't resist trying it out.

knightintosh
3DO ZERO USER

Post by knightintosh » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:30 pm

Substitute "rambling on" for waffling, basically sorry for going on and on :)

Yeah, I loved the FZ-10 & because it was the one I had all the way back then I assumed I'd sell the FZ-1 but once I had one... no way. It's beautiful! And even today it still looks awesome & very modern.