How can you confuse this for a CD-i?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

How can you confuse this for a CD-i?

Post by Devin » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:31 pm

This is one running thread I've found time and time again... "Is the 3DO the same as CD-i"!

How on earth did the two ever get confused? Surely the market back then wasn't quite the same for 3DO as it was for the CD-i. Although I can vouch that the price point was probably the same!

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:41 pm

i have seen similar threads in my day, i think it might have to do with the fact that the CDs look alittle alike and the fact that many people dont know much about the 3DO or CD-i

ive seen threads started that would say " will Cd-i games work in my 3DO"

i remember when they had infomercials for the CD-i, i think i even have one saved on a CD somewhere

i have a nice collection for both systems :)
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:43 pm

This happened to me in Gamestation in Cambridge. I went for a look around and it was when they had just started doing retro games. I was informed by the wise young sage behind the counter that the Cambs store was to be a flag ship for retro. So I said "Do you have any 3DO stuff then?" At which point he got excited, took me over to his little display cabinate and pulled out a copy of Wand of Gamelon. :roll:

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:47 pm

Don't those punks in Gamestation know anything!?!

At least they're enthusiastic about the whole thing I suppose! Think it was around four years ago when Electronics Boutique was still around they did a relaunch of retro stuff. I'm reliably informed this was a mass sale of stock from telegames! Not that I'm moaning, picked up a Jag with loads of extras for £30. No 3DO stuff though.

They seem to go through these 'retro phases' don't they! In truth ebay is far cheaper these days :roll:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:02 am

...that is a sad state of affairs.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:28 pm

Maybe because early on, both Cd-i & 3DO were focused on being more than game machines. Both had 'interactive' in thier names. Much of the early software were not games, but other titles. For 3DO, it was Software Toolworks informational cds, the Learnign Cube cd's, video cd's like Toon Time & Woody Woodpecker, etc.. Both machines ultimatley turned their focus more towards pure gaming consoles (cd-i later than 3DO) but by then it was too late.