Ranting at a Magazine

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Ranting at a Magazine

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:55 pm

It seems to me that this blessed generation, the generation that changed gaming and was the precursor to what we have (suffer?) now, is being purged from history.

Recently Edge magazine (which for my ranting level is tantamount to me reading the Guardian Newspaper or watching channel 4 news) pictured a timeline of gaming generations.

Completely missing between the endless Nintendo, Sega and Sony consoles was of cause the 3DO and Jaguar. Despite the fact the two consoles forged the current casual/multimedia/online thinking for the past 15 years. Likewise both have been missing from Retro magazines, Retro forums and generally retro gaming.

I remember spewing at Retro gamers coverage of Pitfall games as the ignored the existence of the Atari Jaguar entirely.

Why is it? So strong is the love for Nintendo/Sega/MS/Sony that even NeoGeo is blinking from existence.

Makes me mad!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:59 am

A dissapointing and far too common oversight. :(

doctorclu
3DO ZERO USER

Post by doctorclu » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:24 am

Well this is why I like taking my Jaguar to Anime conventions where they have big video gaming rooms... so I can show off the Jaguar!

I first saw a Dreamcast in that environment, and made me fall in love with it, and I now have an extensive collection, and I have seen people just look in amazement of a Jaguar! The mythical, the even Vaporware sometimes... Jaguar!!

Oh but naturally the Jaguar was far from Vaporware. And I know the Ed0 was also not, but I would like to see one in action one day. So... take your system and show it off in video game rooms!!

Retrofanatic83
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Ranting at a Magazine

Post by Retrofanatic83 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:35 am

Sadly gaming is going that way. The 3DO had an aesthetic quality way beyond the various revisions of the 360 or PS3 for me original FZ1 I mean. It looked like it was the future..the lights the overall quality look and feel of it. The original imported playstations and saturns had it too. I wished I had the half a grand or so required to get one and that is what is missing. I feel the jaguar and 3DO created an anticipation/ambition (albeit largely unfulfilled due to commercial failure) that is gone now. The new xbox is just this one but better. The playstation is same. Nintendo now carve and succeed in their own semi niche area of the market. Sega are gone hardware wise. My kids play on old systems but I know I'm getting old because I feel this way about the current new stuff. I like it but its nowhere near as cool as the systems I have mentioned. Not will much if any of it be working reliably in two decades time. Think about how attractive the s famicom or neo geo aes were/are.