3DO newbie and new to the forums :)

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

benny32
3DO ZERO USER

3DO newbie and new to the forums :)

Post by benny32 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:05 am

My interest in the 3DO came out of nowhere. I found a JVC X'Eye (sega genny/sega cd combo system) at a local Goodwill for cheap and picked up some cheap games to play with it. It was a lot of fun checking out all these abandoned obscure (dont shoot me :) game consoles. I am a huge genny fan.

As for the 3DO, I stopped by my local GameTrader and they have some FZ 1 consoles, controllers, and a crapload of games. I had always written the 3DO off as a failed peice of garbage primarily for its games (dont shoot me :) I have never played a 3DO before though.

Theres something really awesome about the fz 1 console design that has drawn me to buy one. I'm pretty sure the gametrader has some hidden gems in their 3DO game stock as well.

Anyways, this is a really nice forum. Its nice to see their is a group of fans for this console. 3DO has become synonimous with failed consoles.

It is interesting how Sony seems to be following the 3DO marketing model. We shall see how this ancient curse plays out in todays market. PS 3DO is more like it haha!

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Re: 3DO newbie and new to the forums :)

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:32 am

benny32 wrote:My interest in the 3DO came out of nowhere. I found a JVC X'Eye (sega genny/sega cd combo system) at a local Goodwill for cheap and picked up some cheap games to play with it. It was a lot of fun checking out all these abandoned obscure (dont shoot me :) game consoles. I am a huge genny fan.

As for the 3DO, I stopped by my local GameTrader and they have some FZ 1 consoles, controllers, and a crapload of games. I had always written the 3DO off as a failed peice of garbage primarily for its games (dont shoot me :) I have never played a 3DO before though.

Theres something really awesome about the fz 1 console design that has drawn me to buy one. I'm pretty sure the gametrader has some hidden gems in their 3DO game stock as well.

Anyways, this is a really nice forum. Its nice to see their is a group of fans for this console. 3DO has become synonimous with failed consoles.

It is interesting how Sony seems to be following the 3DO marketing model. We shall see how this ancient curse plays out in todays market. PS 3DO is more like it haha!
Welcome dude, but Sony isn't following 3DO's marketing strategy, only price, there is a difference. The 3DO had good games at launch and did better by volume, even though Sony has brand recognition. The 3DO has an excuse as to why it failed, unknown system in a huge war between Sega and Nintendo that dominated the market in every way. The PS3 will fall because Sony is arogant and stupid at this point.

Buy that FZ-1, it's a good system and a fun as Hell play.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

dawid22
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dawid22 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:46 pm

T2KFreeker wrote: The PS3 will fall because Sony is arogant and stupid at this point.
I really do hope that you are right! Remember how arrogant Nintendo was when the N64 launched? ...they then saw their backsides. Now we have the Wii. I reckon Sony needs to be taught a lesson. All that really needs to happen is for MGS4 to go to the 360 and it's chips for the PS3. I want the Sony back of the PS1 days. I think the PS1 was a awesome console!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:14 pm

Sadly, success can often make one cocky. Sega's success w/the Genesis led to errors w/the 32X & the Saturn. :( Nintendo didn't learn their lesson w/SNES either. They focused more on their come form behind victory, than the early beating they took. The result ... N64, and the beleif that Nintendo told us what we wanted, rather than listening to what we wanted. Sony is doing that now, telling us we want Blu Ray, and other extras. :roll: I honestly beleive that the Wii & 36O will dominate this generation. Maybe then the Sony of the PS1 days will return...

Congrats on nabbing a 3DO ... there is a bunch of great software waiting for you! :D

benny32
3DO ZERO USER

Post by benny32 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:41 pm

what are some rare or good titles to look out for?

I'll take a list with me when I go through the 3do game bin :)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:50 pm

What type of games do you like? 3DO has a great selection of 1st person titles, fighting games, sports games, and space shooters. Other genres, like racing games & rpgs are smaller, but what is present is cream of the crop (Need for Speed, Road Rash, Lucines Quest, Guardian War) This system also plays host to a nunber of 'edutainment' tiltles too, if your looking for something different.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:54 pm

benny32 wrote:My interest in the 3DO came out of nowhere. I found a JVC X'Eye (sega genny/sega cd combo system) at a local Goodwill for cheap and picked up some cheap games to play with it. It was a lot of fun checking out all these abandoned obscure (dont shoot me :) game consoles. I am a huge genny fan.

Benny! Welcome to the forum. The 3DO failed? When did that happen? ;)
I'm always the last to know!

My blog has a list of some 170 odd 3DO games with a rarity comment as usually the last line. http://fz1-3do.blog.co.uk

Off the top of my head and trying to remember the ones on here people won't mention:

- Snow Job is good.
- Dr Hauzer (Japanese import) is good.
- All the onrail shooters are fun if you take everyone else on earths criticism with a pinch of salt. (Novastorm, Pyramid intruder)
- Virtual Camerman is good clean, wholesome family fun. ;)

Have fun and again welcome!

3DO Kid!

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:53 pm

Hmm, well there are the obvious ones like Road Rash, Need For Speed, and Super Street Fighter II Turbo. I also have to add to the list that AD&D Slayer is awesome, a perfect merging of Dungeon Crawler and FPS, alot less FPS though, which is good, especially if you like Dungeons and Dragons. Killing Time is creepy, Trip'd is a cool little puzzle game, D is just awesome, I can even recommend Crash N' Burn. I actually like the cheesyness there. If Platformers are your thing, Gex is always a laugh and a classic title period.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

benny32
3DO ZERO USER

Post by benny32 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:41 am

What a great community! I'm really glad I found this gem of a site. This site is officially bookmarked.

I dont know about you guys, but I love reliving classic game consoles. Especially ones which were too expensive (699$ LOL). I'm not too fond of current gen consoles and the last console gen (ps2,xbox,gc) was frankly disheartening. Gamecube dissapointed, xbox was mediocre fps, ps2 was all anime.

Turns out less powerful consoles, and limits to devalopers, brought out the unique talents of game devalopers. Now game engines are thrown around like a mcdonalds happy meal. Back in the 90's, devalopers had to be inovative in their use of console technology, bringing us memorable titles which best of all.... LASTED! Almost every game released today has a two week fun period and then its over, nada, nothing to see.

Modern gaming noobs would probably spit in disgust at the graphics in systems like Saturn, 3do, Sega CD, Jaguar. I however, like to enjoy games for their achievements at the time of their production.

I'll let you guys know if I find any rare gems. I think I saw a 6 button 3do controller there too :) I dont know if that is a rare item, but its getting picked up soon hahah!