World Cup 2014

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Walter_j64bit
3DO ZERO USER

World Cup 2014

Post by Walter_j64bit » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:10 pm

Today USA vs Ghana I cant wait to see the game I don't have ESPN so I'll have to wach the on Spanish-language television station Univision. It's no big deal, as long I can see the game. :P

Walter_j64bit
3DO ZERO USER

Re: World Cup 2014

Post by Walter_j64bit » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:04 am

It's half time USA 1-0 Ghana :) say did anyone see Joe Biden? He's at the game!

Walter_j64bit
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Walter_j64bit » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:01 am

USA 2-1 Ghana. Ghana played a good game! :D

Walter_j64bit
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Walter_j64bit » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:05 pm

The UK plays today I'm going looking at this game. P

Walter_j64bit
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Walter_j64bit » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:43 am

I can't the only one in the world watching the games?

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:32 am

You're not Walter. But, unfortunately, I have zero interest in our own (considered the best in the world) football leagues and only very limited interest in international football.

Because my GF is more interested than I (maybe more patriotic?), she requested I sit down one evening and watch the first England (vs Italy) match with her. Cynically, I predicted a 2-1 result to Italy > England. I didn't think we would be "destroyed", but just a little outclassed. And we were, unfortunately.

I know that the England vs Uruguay match was on last night. I had a mate around, so I caught a glimpse of the pre-kick off build up, whilst preparing pizza for dinner. I said to my mate "It'll probably be 2-1 to Uruguay". Ermmm. Anyway.

England have a decent football team, but in the grand scheme of things, we're just not in the same league as the main Euro teams (Italy, Spain, France, Germany, Netherlands - regardless of Spain's surprise knockout btw) and certainly not in the league of the primary SA teams (Brazil, Argentina... Uruguay etc).

The problem we have, specifically in our country, due to Football being our primary, major national sport, is managing expectation.

We have this massive football league of varying divisions, with Premier League teams hailing from Manchester (United & City), Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool etc. All of our England team members play across most of these teams here in England. However...

A lot of these teams are successful due to the influx of international talents from all over the world, of which they too, will be attending the World Cup for their own country's benefit. Take England vs Italy. One of the goals against us was scored by Mario Ballotelli, formerly of Manchester City fame - one of T H E biggest teams in English Football. I'm sure the England fans loved that. England vs Uruguay: both goals against England scored by Luis Suarez of Liverpool. Another big English team. Again, I'm sure England fans enjoyed that too.

Anyway, glad to hear that the US are holding their own. Maybe David Beckham's influence over at LA Galaxy may have helped? I wouldn't really know :mrgreen:

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:14 pm

the only reason i know the World Cup is happening is because of Sportscenter and Jimmy Fallons tonight show, and when they talk about it i hit the mute button
i played a half semester of soccer in P.E. during highschool and during the last month i broke a guys leg with my leg and since then i dont think ive seen a soccer ball in person :)

i was so pissed off because the injury to my leg kept me from playing Hockey a real sport for awhile :P
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

BEARD!
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BEARD! » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:14 am

I've watched every game so far. This has been a great World Cup, the best since France '98 if it keeps going the way it's going. England's elimination has been the highlight as usual :)

Walter_j64bit
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Walter_j64bit » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:24 pm

LOL, I was thinking I was talking to myself! :P
@NeoGeoNinja
Maybe David Beckham's influence over at LA Galaxy may have helped? I wouldn't really know :mrgreen:
I'm not sure about him all I know is the women love looking at him, :roll: All I've seen of Beckham is him running around in his underwear in TV ads. :roll: Anyway I grew up with Soccer thanks to older bro he'd played goalkeeper at the local family center then in the early 80's my Dad had orders to move to the UK we lived there for three years in a town called Saxmundham. "Football" was everywhere :wink: but I didn't know about the World Cup unlit alter my Dad had orders to come back to the US.
Because my GF is more interested than I (maybe more patriotic?)
I get this, I'm same way when the US plays. I like to watch the UK team I know I'm going to see a good game that day.

@Lemmi
the only reason i know the World Cup is happening is because of Sportscenter and Jimmy Fallons tonight show, and when they talk about it i hit the mute button
i played a half semester of soccer in P.E. during highschool and during the last month i broke a guys leg with my leg and since then i dont think ive seen a soccer ball in person :)

i was so pissed off because the injury to my leg kept me from playing Hockey a real sport for awhile :P
That must been a Hell of game to seen that day! Two leg injury's in one game!

@BEARD!
I've watched every game so far. This has been a great World Cup, the best since France '98 if it keeps going the way it's going. England's elimination has been the highlight as usual :)
I'm glad this World Cup don't have the awful referee's they had in the last World Cup! :shock:

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:20 pm

I caught the majority of the Ghana vs Germany match, last night.

I was completely caught off guard, as were Germany; Ghana were excellent! :!:

Walter_j64bit
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Walter_j64bit » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:50 am

Did anyone see the USA game lastnight?! That's was an awesome game! Now we have to win next game!

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:57 pm

Walter_j64bit wrote:Did anyone see the USA game lastnight?! That's was an awesome game! Now we have to win next game!
Yeah, I saw glimpses of it.

You did really well. Was a good match. Shame about the equaliser from Portugal, in the closing minute though :roll:

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 pm

That Italy / Uruguay game was almost unwatchable.

How can professional athletes be such pussy's? Not only does everyone flop, but they grab parts of there body that were not even touched.
They need more refs or replays to get these people out of the game.

I'm fine with biting, at least that is a real injury.

Walter_j64bit
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Walter_j64bit » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:20 pm

sneth wrote:That Italy / Uruguay game was almost unwatchable.

How can professional athletes be such pussy's? Not only does everyone flop, but they grab parts of there body that were not even touched.
They need more refs or replays to get these people out of the game.

I'm fine with biting, at least that is a real injury.
:lol: It's all over the TV news here, the biting. That player is getting charged with assault! :roll:
Floppers do ruin the games for everyone.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:01 am

I'd rather watch paint dry.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

Walter_j64bit
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Walter_j64bit » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:30 am

My thoughts on the USA vs GER game, in my best comic book man voice!
Attachments
comic-book-guy-worst-post-ever.jpg
comic-book-guy-worst-post-ever.jpg (20.59 KiB) Viewed 29876 times

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:45 pm

YES!

the USA lost, now i hope the news guys can shut up about this boring game :wink:
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Walter_j64bit
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Walter_j64bit » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:49 pm

I'm disgusted my team didn't make it but it was a good game that was played. I'm out of here the World Cup isn't any fun when your team is not playing. I'll have to wait for World Cup 2018!
Last edited by Walter_j64bit on Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Walter_j64bit
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Walter_j64bit » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:52 pm

Lemmi wrote:YES!

the USA lost, now i hope the news guys can shut up about this boring game :wink:
D'oh! There's World Cup 2018!

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:56 pm

Belgium vs USA was an absolute snoozefest.

However, those last 20 mins of Extra Time were superb!

Initially, I actually felt (by half time), that the USA didn't 'deserve' to go through, as their 3rd part of their game just fell flat every time (i.e. their ability to finish). But, by the time we'd got half way through extra time, my opinion completely shifted and I actually felt that it was actually the US who deserved to go through.

It's just a shame they couldn't have played to that standard in the 2nd half of the game, initially... :|

Walter_j64bit
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Walter_j64bit » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:50 am

NeoGeoNinja wrote:Belgium vs USA was an absolute snoozefest.

However, those last 20 mins of Extra Time were superb!

Initially, I actually felt (by half time), that the USA didn't 'deserve' to go through, as their 3rd part of their game just fell flat every time (i.e. their ability to finish). But, by the time we'd got half way through extra time, my opinion completely shifted and I actually felt that it was actually the US who deserved to go through.

It's just a shame they couldn't have played to that standard in the 2nd half of the game, initially... :|
I Have to Agree, the last 20 mins was best of the game, the first and 2nd half it was like the US was asleep at the wheel. :roll: