Just some relevant info about me, for those who care.

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Anonymous

Just some relevant info about me, for those who care.

Post by Anonymous » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:03 pm

Its come to my attention that some of you think im either trolling, or trying to be unecessarily argumentative and abrasive here on the forums. Its nothing new to me as such in life, but more people have put it towards me one way or the other here on the forums, so im gonna try and give a quick explination.

I have aspergers syndrome. I function very differently from most people when it comes to reading other people, undertones, inuendoes and such. My brain is wired entirely differently from most. Some scientists sees it as a disability, whilst others see it as a diversity. I am therefor very blunt, straight forward and direct with my opinions. This is not to offend anyone, or to alienate others. It is simply to try and be as clear as i can about something.

However, since people have a hard time either understanding aspergers syndrome, take it seriously, or see it as nothing else than an excuse on my part, i will limit my activity on this and other forums, because im sick and tired of being accused of being a troll, argumentative etc when all i try to do is voice my opinion. it makes me sad and drains a lot of energy to not be able to be myself, without being perceived as a troll, douchebag or whatever you wanna call it. I am actually a quite friendly and empathic person who is always willing to help where i can. I simply have a hard time with socially common communication.

For those interested in what aspergers syndrome is, wikipedia has a pretty good article that should explain my behavioral patterns to you guys. Especially the part where it explains how an aspie's neurological brain layout is very different from the neurotypical one, which most of you possess. You can find it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

In no way shape or form have i tried to upset, be unnecessarily argumentative or abrasive towards any of you. I hope you can believe that. I simply have a very difficult time to communicate with people who are more into socially accepted queues, undertones, norms etc, and am therefor (perhaps to some overly so) blunt and honest. I know i can come across as strongminded and rigid, but that does not mean i require everyone to share or be convinced by my opinions. I simply share them. But since that seem to be a problem to a growing number of members here, i will limit my input as i dont want to be a problem.

Best regards,
grimm
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:12 pm

Feel free to comment, i appreciate your honest opinion even if its not "positive".

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:25 am

I don't post as much as the others here, but I do read just about every post. I don't know why a few people have jumped on a band wagon of type casting you as grumpy. I think it might have something to do with the username you picked. Who knows. I can't know what everyone is thinking. It's also not easy to detect sarcasm in text. What I mostly wanted to say though... I don't really read your posts as grumpy. I have no problems with your contributions here.

Of course this is coming from someone who feels at times like they don't fit in here (yes I am talking about myself). It's probably just me and my personal issues thinking that way though. I can't think of any specific reasons at the moment why I thought that way in the past. I mostly just read more than I post these days. When I do post, it's mostly of the comic relief postings. I sometimes wonder if my "funny" posts get on anyone's nerves.

But yeah, I see no problems with your postings. You have not offended me at all with anything. I don't think you have offended anyone really. I think others were just joking around. Perhaps it's an unwanted joke and I could see why.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:25 am

I am familiar with Asperger's and i don't really see that in your posts.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:26 am

Thanks for sharing grimm. I really wasn't aware of aspergers syndrome, but found it interesting to read a bit about it.

Of course it's your choice to limit participation, but I hope you reconsider. We need more active participants around here, not less. (same for you BryWI)

I think your honest and articulate explanation is more than suffcient to clear the air. I personally feel like I can understand your posts better now. :)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:00 am

sneth wrote:I am familiar with Asperger's and i don't really see that in your posts.
Im not sure what you dont see in my posts, Asperger's, or the stuff i mentioned others do. But either way, then you know it is a very wide diagnosys, and two with AS _can_ be eachothers opposites, even if most share certain traits, so it doesnt always show even if you know it.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:39 pm

grimm wrote:
sneth wrote:I am familiar with Asperger's and i don't really see that in your posts.
Im not sure what you dont see in my posts, Asperger's, or the stuff i mentioned others do. But either way, then you know it is a very wide diagnosys, and two with AS _can_ be eachothers opposites, even if most share certain traits, so it doesnt always show even if you know it.
This is precisely why I've always disliked the term "Asperger's Syndrome". It's such a broad and poorly-defined label that its usage does far more harm than good, from what I've seen.

But we don't even need to take into account the definition-less nature of Asperger's Syndrome to explain what sneth commented on, because very little of a person's personality comes out in textual notes. Communication is 70% visual, 25% vocal, and only 5% verbal (which is what we have on discussion boards). As the saying goes: "Online, no one can see your eyes twitch."

Anyway, possibly this is because I generally avoid general discussion forums, but I've never noticed any particular problem with either your posts or with others' reactions to them. So yeah, I'd rather we saw more posts from you rather than less.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Agreed Martin, i dont like the term either, but it does help with regards to getting valuable "tools" from healthcare, the unemployment agency etc here in sweden. Such as free councelors to help you cope with people's reactions, teach you social skills, social communication in particular etc. In regards to employers, you can get help with finding employers who are willing to adjust to YOUR needs, rather than you adjusting to them. It is invaluable. Sadly our "new" government are dismantling these systems, and after new years, i no longer get these benefits which i truly need to find employment it seems. I got my diagnosis quite recently, and it has helped me understand why people often have problems with me, and these problems have lessened now that i can explain to them i have a clinical diagnosis explaining why im different. They seem to understand that better, than that if i was just different for the sake of it, for some reason. People are pack animals, and reason as such i suppose.

So in essence, yes i agree with it being a poor definition of a wide variety of traits that differ from the norm, but it also is a help to have this diagnosis in regards to government agencies and healthcare. My friend in USA, her son also has AS, quite different from mine, but he also gets some benefits from the state that helps him function amongst other better than without them.

Thanks for the feedback so far people, of you who have bothered to reply, it seems most of you DO NOT have a problem with me, and that these people who do seem to be in the minority. This is good to hear and shows that my efforts do work. Thank you.