Xenoblade Chronicles

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Xenoblade Chronicles

Post by Trev » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:34 am

10 hours in, brief impressions so far ...

The scope of this game is very impressive. The world feels so huge, and unlike other games (say Twilight Princess for instance) it doesn't just feel like running through lifless terrain. Enviornments feel real, that art is good, the colors vibrant.

The combat, though initially confusing, it's very user friendly. It is easy, and quick, to switch up attacks at will. (I am using the classic controller)

The game is gentle enough, w/short tutorials that pop up everytime something new and important occurs up. Though I usually skip them, I appreciate it. They can be accessed at any time if you get stuck later. I also like how quickly health regenerates after combat, and that you spawn close by if you lose.

The voice acting doesn't bother me at all. I enjoy the accents!

The cut scenes are intense! There are perhaps a few too many early one, but you probably won't mind as you are getting accustomed to everything.

My gripes thus far are that certain things seem more difficult than they should be, such as equipping gear, and selling items. Mainly it is because the text is so small! Not sure why they used such tiny fonts, but it drives me nuts!

I also don't like that when you target an enemy, you can't use special attacks w/o losing the lock on them. What do you call it, z targetting? Anyway, it gets annoying during busy fights, w/the camera jumping and so much happening on screen.

Lastly, the side quests (though numerous) are pretty pathetic. Dull as dirt, and half the time you don't even know you completed one except that a pop up comes on screen telling you that you did. Very dissapointing for me.

Will update as I get further in.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5