Games to get you through

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Games to get you through

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri May 11, 2012 2:56 am

I recently lost someone very dear to me and have withdrawing into my newly built PC, setting up programs and playing games. I just finished AVP and beat Space Marine the other day. When my grandfather passed away I withdrew into Wolfenstein on the 3DO.

Have any of you used games to get you through tough times?
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri May 11, 2012 4:49 am

Yikes! That's no good. I'm sorry to hear that. :(

Thinking back, I am sure games have helped me in that manner, but I can't put my finger on anything specific or during a timeframe in particular.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri May 11, 2012 5:40 am

Sorry about your loss 3DOExperience. Like Austin I also can't think of one game in particular, but gaming in general helps me deal w/tough times. Probably the best example, off the top of my head ... the day I lost a job (the only job I was ever let go from) I bought a Gamecube & Zelda WindWaker which helped cheer me up quite a bit. Maybe I'll think of more examples and add to this thread later ...
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Fri May 11, 2012 10:47 pm

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Everytime I need to get my mind off of things (quite frequently), I play NES games. It's the only thing I keep going back to time after time. It brings me back to childhood, times I didn't have to worry about much of anything.

If anyone was ever looking for a more modern game to imerse themselves in for a long time, I'd have to recommend Fallout 3.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:01 pm

Bad news again Friday. Using Shenmue. I think Wolfenstein would do a better job though.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:08 pm

3DO Experience wrote:Bad news again Friday. Using Shenmue. I think Wolfenstein would do a better job though.
Sorry bout your recent bad news. :(

I love Shenmue, but Wolfenstein is probably better if you are looking to take out some agression.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:34 am

Wolfenstein lets me zone out, no real thought needed. Just point and pull the trigger.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:38 am

I don't remember any games. When my sister died (many years ago now) the company I worked for gave me compassionate leave, and they wouldn't let me come back for two weeks. (I was begging to come back after one!)

Anyway. I cleaned my car. To within an inch of it's life. Engine bay, inside, outside, obsessively. Clayed, waxed, polished, wheel rims taken off, the whole damn thing. I just zoned out

At the time this car was 7 years old and had been in a crash. (and repaired before I bought it)

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:32 pm

Personally i have lots of "issues" and quirks people dont care to deal with, so i have very few friends, and none of them within 4h by car. Being unwillingly long term unemployed (2,5 years total employment and im 34 now, but have completed 4-5 long and complete job trainings over the years) makes every day very long, very boring and very depressing.. Games are what keeps me going on so far.

So whilst i havent really lost anyone dear recently, games certainly helps making the day shorter and keeps my mind occupied.