What are some of your early thoughts on Skyward Sword?

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

What are some of your early thoughts on Skyward Sword?

Post by Trev » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:52 am

Visual style looks much better in person than it does in still screenshots. The bright colorful graphics have almost a ... chalk drawn look (not really sure how to describe it) It sorta seems like a hybrid between Wind Waker & Twilight Princess. Very nice imho.

Soundtrack, so far, I think might be the best ever. It sounds so rich and layered. Can't want to listen to the entire sountrack cd!

Control is pretty solid for the most part. What limited amount of combat I've done felt really good. I haven't had much experience w/the motion plus controls (except Wii Sports resort) but they are better than I expected.

Looking forward to playing it more on my day off tomorrow! :)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:01 am

I posted this on another forum the day after playing it. Still haven't gone back to it (been working on Halo Anniversary and some Jaguar games I received this week).

My thoughts on it so far:

Positives:

- Beautiful visuals.
- Interesting control scheme.
- Story implementation seems to work alright so far.
- Sound design seems to be solid overall.

Negatives:

- Way too much hand-holding. Nearly three hours into the game, I still have my "helper" character (i.e., the Navi of this game) bugging me every two minutes, completely stopping gameplay each time.
- Forced widescreen. Not ideal when playing on an older 19" TV.
- Some of the story elements are "meh". Maybe I'm just getting old, jaded, and this sort of thing doesn't appeal to me anymore.
- Beginning of the game is way too long, and it progresses way too slow on a first-time play. Recommendation: Don't play this for the first time with friends like I did. It will make for a really, really boring experience.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:54 pm

I agree that there is a bit too much hand holding. I don't mind a slightly less challenging Zelda game (wind waker is still probably my favorite) but I hope it does up the challenge a notch. Critics are saying this is the longest Zelda yet ... I hope some of that stems from a fair challenge.

Time for me to go boot it up now ...
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:39 pm

Early thoughts. The box looked cool when I saw it in the backroom at work. Have not played it yet.