The "Intro-Phenomenon"

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Jones
3DO ZERO USER

The "Intro-Phenomenon"

Post by Jones » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:08 am

Back in the middle 90s, a game intro seemed to be somehow an indicator for the overall quality of the game. The longer the better! I remember magazines advertising for games with the length of their intros.
I was *amazed* by the cinematic intro of "It came from the desert", delighted by the whole little movie of "The killing game show" and "Superfrog". And then: "Microcosm" had a 7 minutes intro! And it looked so realistic! Wow! I needed to get that game!

These days I am bored. I play games like "Superfrog" or "Microcosm" and the first thing I do is skipping the intro.
Honestly, who wants to wait 7 (!!) minutes before one is able to play?
Aside of that, the (prerendered) intro quality gives no information about the machine's processing abilities, despite back then's opinions - after all, it's prerendered. Things have turned somehow, the perspective back then might have been distorted.

I want a fancy start screen, nothing more. Back to the 80s! :)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:23 am

When you watch the (what is) astonishing Microcosm introduction these days, you realise that modern PCs and Games Consoles are throwing around graphics real-time better than they could render them back in the 1990s.

I agree though. Microcosm was a must buy game because of the Intro. But it was Psygnosis and we should have all known better. Shadow (looks good in attract mode on the Amiga) of the Beast was another one of theirs. :)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:45 pm

Lost Eden was the first 3DO game that came to my mind. A stunning (and long) intro. I still enjoy watching it to this day.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:00 am

I always think of Shockwave.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:38 am

Shockwave 2 as well.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:44 pm

Wasn't the intro to Starfighter pretty (overly) epic? It's been a while since I have played that one.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:34 pm

BryWI wrote:Wasn't the intro to Starfighter pretty (overly) epic? It's been a while since I have played that one.
Well, it certainly has a l-o-n-g intro.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5