40%
Secret of Mana
60%

Total votes: 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

SNES RPGs

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:10 am

Ok I've never played either of these classics, sad I know, but for those who have, which should I play first? I don't want to play one, then play the other and feel like it isn't as good as the first.
Last edited by 3DO Experience on Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:25 am

Well I've only played Chrono Trigger, so I'm probably not the one to ask (I'm still gonna vote though :wink: )

Chrono Trigger has a truly awesome story, a great cast of characters, amazing music :D ... the game is HUGE too, so you'll be playing for a long, long time (even longer if you go for all the different endings)

Secret of Mana does intrigue me though for the co-op gameplay ...
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:16 am

They are both great. They are also both completely different kinds of games. Chrono Trigger is a more traditional J-RPG. Secret of Mana is more of an action-RPG with its own unique feel.

Personally, I'd go for the later.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:51 am

i havent played either game but i would say go with Chrono just because it costs a ton :)

right now im playing Zelda: A Link to the Past on my GBAsp again (like 12 times in a row actually) but now my name is "Fucker" so im paying attention to the text now again when playing the game :D
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:49 am

Lemmi wrote: right now im playing Zelda: A Link to the Past on my GBAsp again
Lol, I'm playing it on VC right now.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:15 am

Wow I heard Chrono Trigger was actually short. I wonder what it was being compared to.

As far as A Link to the Past, I'm not playing currently but I did get a copy for the Super Fami before it got a US release. By the time it was released in the states I had beat it twice. It was a little better being able to read the story, and the re-naming was clever. (When I bought it the game was listed as Zelda3 Trifoce of the Gods)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:50 am

3DO Experience wrote:Wow I heard Chrono Trigger was actually short. I wonder what it was being compared to.
Hmmm ... If you've beaten the game multiple times so as to know it by heart, didn't do any of the side quests, and settled for only one ending, than I guess I could see it being short when compared to some rpgs ...

Myself, I found Chrono Trigger to be pretty packed. I appreciated that the length seemed to be due to genuine content, rather than padded filler such as endless battles to level up. I guess that is what I meant by it being huge ... its the sort of game that you don't want to rush from start to end, but explore to the full.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:33 am

CT is short, I want to say it was about 10 hours long. But the replay value is outstanding. Going through the New Game+ mode to get all the endings is fun. I recommend picking up the DS version just for price and extra features, but the snes version is just as good.

I have not played Secret of Mana myself, but I KNOW Chrono Trigger is better! lol. It's a great game that I always keep coming back to.

Now, If you try saying you haven't played Earthbound.....

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:46 am

BryWI wrote:CT is short, I want to say it was about 10 hours long.
10 hours ... you must be thinking of Lucienne's Quest. :wink:

Seriously though, you've gotta have crazy mad skills ... CT is at least twice that long.

Btw, what does the DS version have in the way of extra features? I might pick it up, since it's selling on the cheap.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:43 am

sorry dude. i got mad skills yo. :) it might be twenty if you take you really take your time and its your first play through. But I can beat that game in the 10 - 12 hour range even more so when playing New Game+.

On the DS, There was an extra dungeon, it kind of stinks though. It's annoying fetch quest. It does contain an area though that will allow you to max out your characters in a couple hours. There is also a monster training/battle side game which is amusing for a little bit but really pointless. One of the nice things about the DS port is that it keeps track of the endings you have found so you know if you missed one. A beastiary and a music player was added too. And then also there was another ending added with a new final boss thats a little more difficult but not too bad. Also there is interface improvements and slight modernization in the controls.

I picked it up because I am a big fan of the game and it was like $20 at the time.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:59 am

Thanks for the info on the DS port. Sounds like my cup of tea. :)

BryWI wrote:sorry dude. i got mad skills yo. :) it might be twenty if you take you really take your time and its your first play through.
And it will be 3DOExp's first play through. :wink: Don't rush, really explore, do the side quests, go for as many endings as you can and you'll get 20+ no sweat.

I'm speaking from my own exp ... I only really played Chrono Trigger this past year (not counting when I borrowed it from a friend when I was a teen)

Like any game, the amount of time cuts down the more you play it. Like when I was a kid, the org. Legend of Zelda was epic! Of course now I can beat it in just a few hours.

Btw, my version of Chrono Trigger is on the Final Fantasy Chronicles disc for the Psx. A few extras (and load times)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:16 am

The prices on evilbay are crazy for Chrono. I'll have to look for it at the used game store in town. I've seen it a million times at garage sales but never wanted to play it, haven't been garage sale cruising this year... too busy. So far Mana is winning the poll.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:06 am

If you have a DS though, that version is excellent.. Or like Trev said, you can go for the cheaper PSX version.

Secret of Mana, if you are trying to stick with the SNES solely, is by far the cheaper of the two. I've seen carts go on multiple forums between $20 and $25 usually.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:02 am

I couldn't vote because it souned like you wanted to play the not as good game first. I would vote Chrono Trigger to make you play a game you should of not missed out on! :)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:25 am

You are correct, I want to play the not-as-good game first. I intend to play them both so feel free to vote.