NeoGeo appreciation thread...

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

NeoGeo appreciation thread...

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:10 pm

So, I finally got my NeoGeo CD to work. And the load times aren't bothering me all that much at all. It's still considerably quicker than the endless adobe updates my PC seemingly needs, or 300Mbs of download my PS3 seems to insist on every time i insert a disk.

Plus my expectations were pretty low on the CD load times :)

It somehow, is more arcade in the home than the Saturn, PS1, DC, PS2, Xbox, PS3 and so on, have ever managed. I should have gotten one of these years ago :)

I'm try to compare Samurai Shodown on the 3DO to NeoGeo, it's pretty much the same so far, only it feels 'more right' on the Neo Geo...

tinman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by tinman » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:36 pm

I "get" your 'more right' comment regarding SNK games on Neo Geo consoles. This is despite one of my personal greatest achievements on the 3do is completing Samurai Shodown on Arcade setting-probably redundant by other peoples standards. :oops:

Current Neo Geo CD work in progress is completing Samurai Shodown II, although my console is in storage and on the other side of the country. :roll:

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:52 pm

I've never owned any Neo Geo hardware (except the Pocket Color which I stupidly didn't hang on to) so I can only comment on games I've played either in the arcade or on compilations. Some of my favorites (in no special order) that quickly come to mind are ...

Blue's Journey
Metal Slug series
Puzzle Bobble
Samurai Sho.
World Heroes

I'll probably think of a fair amount more ...
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:57 pm

I love my Neo-Geo CD.. I tend to steer clear of games that have lots of loading between levels though, unless it's Metal Slug 1 or 2. Speaking of which, it's about that time I bust out my system again..

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:15 pm

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:26 pm

So we all know Neo-geo MVS cabinet is the best thing to ever exist on the planet. That's obvious. If you were born you know that. If you don't know that you may technically not be alive. You may want to get that checked out.

I'm using this tomorrow.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:57 am

Neo Geo takes the top spot in my retro gaming.
I'm a neo gamer first and foremost.

While my collection has trimmed down over the years, I still have a bookshelf fulll of just AES and MVS.

It's also one of the most underrated handheld systems too.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: NeoGeo appreciation thread...

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:33 pm

3DOKid wrote:It's still considerably quicker than the endless adobe updates my PC seemingly needs...
Really mine always wants a new update but they download in less than two seconds. I hate loading times but I've gotten more used to it over the years of all the 3DO love. As far as NEO-GEO games go they will always feel more "right" on a NEO-GEO system than a 'perfect' port. I think the timing is the reason, they way you come down from a jump and all that.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:41 am

3DO Experience wrote:
3DOKid wrote:It's still considerably quicker than the endless adobe updates my PC seemingly needs...
Really mine always wants a new update but they download in less than two seconds. I hate loading times but I've gotten more used to it over the years of all the 3DO love. As far as NEO-GEO games go they will always feel more "right" on a NEO-GEO system than a 'perfect' port. I think the timing is the reason, they way you come down from a jump and all that.
Perhaps a small exaggeration, however adobe doesn't have a juggling monkey to amuse you while it loads :)

It should.

I remember loading games from Tape Cassette, which wasn't exactly nippy, and to be fair Floppy Disk wasn't all that great either. I always wanted a Microdrive for my Sinclair/Timex although even now I couldn't tell you why though :)

Still, the loading times on this NeoGeo are no where near as bad as the unwashed Internet masses would have you believe. Even being serious, loading up something like Resistance Fall of Man 2 on the PS3 is much more irritating because it's so slow.

Between the 3DO, NeoGeo CD and Jag there is a richness to the 2D games which makes them a pleasure to just watch. I've played a lot of PS1, and its 2D is second fiddle.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:31 pm

3DOKid wrote:I've played a lot of PS1, and its 2D is second fiddle.
Oh great, another one of those PS1 hater. :P
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:37 pm

I'm being subjective. ban request.