School Rant and advise?

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

School Rant and advise?

Post by phatrat1982 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:09 pm

Ok so I am currently enrolled in a BS Degree program at UNK I am going for a major in Broadcasting. First snag, they are dropping broadcasting as a major and reducing it to a minor. Adviser tells me it is ok I am locked in cuz I enrolled before the change as long as I don't take more than 5 years to complete my degree, I am just getting back into school after being out for 10 years so I have been easing in and had it planned out to take 6 years because these first two semesters were part time only for me and now this screws up my whole schedule.

Not too big of a deal cuz at least I get to keep taking my major and don't have to change that for now. Picking a minor on the other hand that is turning into the most complicated an confusing task ever put before me.

I know what I want to do but they don't have a program that offers that just bits and pieces here and there spread across 3 programs.

So I have narrowed it down to 3 options, Visual Communication, Multimedia, or Theater.

Multimedia offers two classes I really wanna take, Electronic Cinematography and Multimedia Directed Study (basically a class that works with the theater majors to make a tv show or short movie)

neither class is offered in my major.

Visual Communication offers several classes I would like but no more than 2 can overlap and it just so happens 2 classes do in fact overlap so that puts me right on the edge there so it should be ok problem is it requires several art history classes and I just barely passed my first art history class and it was an intro class. I am not ready to take a more advanced class of something I almost failed. especially when a, my financial aid is dependent on my grades, and b, my GPA requirements to stay in my major are strict.

Theater. Theater offers a lot of cool options that I would love to get in on except I really have no interest in acting, costume design, or theater history but those are all required classes. Still the directing class is one I really want and the chance to participate in actual productions would give me real experience I can use as a filmmaker.

So all I need to do is decide which minor to settle on and figure out if I can still take those other classes I want as electives maybe.

This is the reason why I put off going to school for so long, too many choices it makes my head spin.

6Months ago I was decided on MM then a month ago got to looking at it and changed my mind and switched to VC now I am leaning towards theater.

Need some help or I am gonna, oh can't pull my hair out don't have any of that, then I am gonna have to resort to taking it out on the cat.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:53 pm

Pick one yourself. Be genuinely awesome at it. let it over take your whole life. Enjoy what you're doing. Then buy me a Ferrari for this awesome advice. What ever you choose, become obsessed by it, and see the obsession as a positive thing. Good luck.

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:04 pm

yeah it was more a rant than anything. I am probably gonna to with Theater as my minor because it makes the most sense. I just hate them changing things around on me and messing up my whole plan.

Even if I was rich there is no way I would ever spend my money buying a foreign car. I'm a Cadillac man.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:20 pm

How the hell are you going to buy me a Ferrari if you go into theatre? I mean, think about it.

Calavera
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Calavera » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:10 pm

3DOKid wrote:How the hell are you going to buy me a Ferrari if you go into theatre? I mean, think about it.
:lol:

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:38 am

I am not going into theater I am going into movies.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:41 am

You mean these kinds of movies? :lol:

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:08 am

A tin cup or moderate comfort with the phrase "Just not in my eyes, okay?" might help, then.

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:00 am

after many months of wrestling back and forth I decided to go with the theater for my minor. I decided I can still take the two classes from the other minors I was interested in as electives.

College is so different than I expected it to be high school was a nightmare I was glad to be rid of, but college is great. I just wish I had gone earlier in live but hey you live and you learn right.