James Cameron

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

James Cameron

Post by phatrat1982 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:04 pm

Just watched The Terminator again today and I gotta say every time I watch it I think damn this guy knows how to make a good movie. Then I ask myself what went wrong?

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:42 am

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:55 am

Damnit, I can't find an awesome Terminator facepalm.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:41 am

What did go wrong?

knightintosh
3DO ZERO USER

Post by knightintosh » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:22 am

His movie-making skills are still fantastic, the actual ship sinking hour of Titanic and Avatar prove that to me.

Unfortunately his story writing skills suck these days, Titanic and Avatar prove that to me.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:46 am

Avatar really irritated me. It was just a bunch of tree hugging hippy crap.

Dr.Enceladus
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dr.Enceladus » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:12 pm

...ok, group huuuug everyone. :lol:
...eat well, stay fit, look good, feel great - die anyway...

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:15 pm

Do you mean what went wrong with Cameron's later films or what went wrong with the Terminator franchise?
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

knightintosh
3DO ZERO USER

Post by knightintosh » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:39 pm

I actually watched the first Terminator last night on BBC One... and it breaks my heart to say this, but I personally don't feel it's stood the test of time too well :shock:

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:14 pm

3DO Experience wrote:Do you mean what went wrong with Cameron's later films or what went wrong with the Terminator franchise?
Both actually. For one, sue me but I hated Titanic and Abyss *ducks out of way of ban hammer*

Avatar was good, except for some minor things like the 85% ripping off of Fern Gully but hey whatever.

The other thing is how he is now a major advocate for 3D technology when he should be focused on making good films instead of pushing crap I really want to go away on everyone.

Last, yeah what the hell was up with that Terminator Salvation and that lame TV show?

Although I did like Rise of the Machines.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:43 pm

He did a good job on True Lies, it wasn't for everyone being a comedic love story action flick. But it still was mainstream enough to get a Golden Globe and nominated for an Oscar. The problem was after that he wanted to make an epic love story and gave us Titanic. Most women loved it, men hated it, and hated it even more because women wouldn't shut up about it or Leo and forced their men to endure a three hour movie that was about matters of the heart.

After that he became interested in TV.

What went wrong with Terminator was Cameron wasn't involved with anything since the second film. Hence the suck-fest that was T3 and the series that FOX used to try to over-write that horrible film by literally jumping over all of the events that would have led to it. But since this was just to get people to go see the forth movie the show had cheesy writing until they sunk money into to during the second half of season two because the release date for T4 was closing in. And then FOX does what FOX always does when a TV show gets good, they cancel it.

Cameron has been talking about properly done 3D movies since the nineties, remember T2 3-D Battle Across Time? And as for Avatar, people only bash it because of the hype it gets. People always reference movies that it "ripped off", hello NONE of those movies are original. They are just working from a common story theme, hell dances with wolves is based off of something that actually happened right here in America. Of course the same people never seem to tell us where the whole entire-planet-being-a-brain was stolen from. The 3D work on it was superb, it's just as it should be unobtrusive. After a few minutes you forget any wow factor. The only problem I had was when the floating seeds were too close any my eyes would try to focus on them, those should have been removed.

And as a follow up I know some people don't like 3D. Yes the glasses are uncomfortable for a lot of us, and can make your eyes hurt because of the way they sit on the nose, they need to change the style of them. But it seems that no one is maintaining a quality control on the 3D either. My multiplex has one screen that is really out of whack, hence why some say "it doesn't work with my eyes" and I've been to other places where it's too dark. The problem isn't the movies (except directors who actually think in-your-face is fun) it's the theaters.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:53 pm

3DwhO wrote:I actually watched the first Terminator last night on BBC One... and it breaks my heart to say this, but I personally don't feel it's stood the test of time too well :shock:
Well, there haven't been too many films of this calibre since it was released. So maybe you're looking to Twinkle for inspiration? Right?

knightintosh
3DO ZERO USER

Post by knightintosh » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:24 pm

3DOKid wrote:
3DwhO wrote:I actually watched the first Terminator last night on BBC One... and it breaks my heart to say this, but I personally don't feel it's stood the test of time too well :shock:
Well, there haven't been too many films of this calibre since it was released. So maybe you're looking to Twinkle for inspiration? Right?
Don't get me wrong it was still ok, but just not as good as I remember. There's many films which can stand the test of time a lot better, T2 being one of them :)

As for the comments above about 3D, I too find that it depends on the cinema. Those floating pieces of ash were fine for me, looked like they were filling the cinema which, after a whole movie which looked like a sumptuous window into another world, was a lovely touch. Cameron's team are behind the 3D for TF3 coming up and I saw the trailer for it in my local Odeon and Odyssey cinemas.

I could take or leave 3D, apart from Avatar where I think it's integral, but the trailer for TF3 simply blew me away! In the Odeon it did anyway. In the Odyssey cinema it was still good but not as "3D". After all the 3D movies I've seen these last few years, only Avatar, How To Train Your Dragon and the TF3 trail have impressed me to the point where I think "THIS is what 3D is meant to be about".

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:37 am

Ok I did like True Lies I always forget about that one though. Honestly Titanic for me anyways, was not about how everybody wouldn't shut up about it cuz I can usually tune that stuff out. For me I honestly hated the movie. It was boring. But you gotta understand we were poor, when I saw poor I mean white trash trailer house in Kansas no money for shit poor so movies like Titanic always touch a nerve when I see over overindulgence of the rich and how they mistreat poor folks. Also I am not into true stories so much especially tragedies. But the main problem I personally have with it is how over the top they made it. Yeah it was a big shit but I have seen lot's of Titanic movies.

I should stress I liked Avatar, except for the 3D I have poor vision I can't even see 3D and so that is one reason I am against it and yeah I remember James always being into 3D since then and even more so now, which is what I was talking about it's like dude come one movies can be good if they have good stories he should know that.

Basically I was just reflecting and venting a little not really trying to bash the guy just more reflection I guess.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:38 am

I can't vouch for the original Terminator, but I watched portions of T2 a few months back and I can say that it still holds up pretty well.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:38 pm

T2 holds up much better than the original but they both past the test of time.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:57 pm

I've seen Logan's Run, 2001 A Space odyssey, Black Hole, The Fog, Star Wars IV, Soylent Green, Terminator 1, Blood Beach and bunch of others, and quite honestly, in a lot of ways they much much better than the endless boob-jobbed, liposuctioned, teen-angst but in their 30s crap we get today. I'm sure the majority of films and games are made for a brainless demographic that doesn't exist.

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:26 pm

Terminator 2 - 20 years ( July 3 1991 - July 3 2011)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4mWyeVitNQ

knightintosh
3DO ZERO USER

Post by knightintosh » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:55 pm

Loved this little addition to the BBC News site:

http://www.digitalhen.co.uk/news/technology-13159616

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:25 am

NikeX wrote:Terminator 2 - 20 years ( July 3 1991 - July 3 2011)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4mWyeVitNQ

awesome!

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:46 am

I remember seeing T2 on it's release in the UK. My brother and I went to see at the local Odeon Cinema in Burton. It was the first 'cool' film we saw at the same time as everyone else, and I still love it to pieces. (We never got to see other films of it's ilk until much later: Robocop, Aliens, Salute the Jugger, although that may have gone straight to video :)