3DS

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

3DS

Post by BryWI » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:57 am

It's fun! Any questions?

Been playing with it a for a while today and while I do have some complaints. It's mostly a nice system.

I will complain that the shop and web browsers are not added in yet. but soon i hope.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:23 am

I'm curious to hear your overall thoughts (both good and bad).

On a side note, I had a hangover day last weekend and made the spontaneous (probably poor) decision to buy a DSi XL. I do not think I will be getting a 3DS any time soon in that case, haha..

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:26 am

Some of the 3D effects are weird on the eye, like looking at some of the Mii characters and some of the menu effects.

I just played Samurai Warriors Chronicles... the 3D effect on the game is SWEET. The Depth illusion it gives is cool.

I must say though, gaming a long time on thing for me is not possible. I do feel an eye strain but it could be that I did not get much sleep last night and might not be directly related to the 3ds. It also seemed that my eyes had to get used to it a little bit.

The 3d camera app... fun! After you take a picture you can adjust how much the two images are seperated and it really gives the magic eye 3d effect but even better with no eye crossing for 15 mins just to see it.

As for more of the negatives, it is a little small. I have big hands and it seems the L and R triggers will be hit more with the middle of my fingers but it hasn't become a problem yet. I haven't really needed too much action on those buttons yet.

I do fear how long some of the buttons will last on it. I am very careful with my systems though. My original DS is still working fine. The L and R buttons seem to be clicking some very small buttons. and the way the select, home, and start buttons are... they are like buttons underneath a flexible panel? I'm not sure how to describe it, but I would think that it could wear out with time. But im not going to beat the thing to death. It really should last a long time, I just know some people drag their systems to hell and back. Time will tell to see if we see reports of people's buttons breaking.

I hear DS titles on it look a little blurred. I've yet to see how that fares though. I will probably test that before I go to bed and report the results. I am sure it cant be as bad as people are making it out to be. You have to realise that it has to stretch it to the higher resolution display. but there is a way to make it display in the original resolution too. I will report in on results probably tomorrow.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:46 am

saw this system played on jimmy fallons show about 5 days ago, and i think i will stick with the GBAsp system
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:52 am

about DS titles... When you run them normaly they are stretched out but still in the same aspect ratio. Obviously it doesn't use the full screen of the top half. It is a little blurred but not outrageously bad.

If you hold start and select while you tap the ds game on the system menu it will run the DS game in it's original resolution. It's very crisp but too small imo. Im pretty sure nintendo put the option for original resolution in to show people what happens when run the DS games in the original resolution on the screens. I dont think I could play it with the screens that small. I am ok with how it looks on the screens though. I still think it looks better compared to the original DS hardware.
Lemmi wrote:saw this system played on jimmy fallons show about 5 days ago, and i think i will stick with the GBAsp system
The big dilemma about this system is that nothing will capture the experience of playing it first hand. If you ever see a 3ds instore unit, give it a try once just to see what it is like.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:38 am

It's kind of like running GB games on a GBA.. You can run them stretched (and they don't look quite as good as on their original hardware), or you can run them shrunk a bit at their default resolution, but they look too small for the size of the screen. I figured that's how it would work.. It doesn't make me feel so bad about getting a DSi XL recently, then! :) :D