Neogeo CD

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Neogeo CD

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:29 pm

So, I have a 3DO (you would hope right?) a Jag CD, 32x and now I want a Neogeo CD. Yes -- loading times. But it seems a good way of getting a nice neogeo collection without the $$$ of the AES system.

I want one. I saw one boxed in Japan for about £100. But I can get one on fleabay for £130 and free shipping if i buy twenty games. Games are about £3 to £6 each. I'm tempted... I'm tempted.

Anyone got one? thoughts?

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:04 am

The Neo CD is a great system.. That is, provided you stay away from certain types of titles. Namely, fighting games. If you stick with the action games, shooters and arcade racing/sports games, you should get plenty of enjoyment out of it.

The system really does get a bad rap for it's load times. Well, let me clarify on how this works because it's really not as bad as they say:

- Every game has an initial load sequence that I'm assuming loads a crapload of data into memory (The system has a lot of working memory). This intial load can take up to a minute, sometimes two. People really complain about this, but I don't mind it for games that fall into the next category.

- For most early games, after this initial load sequence, there will be NO loading for any part of the game thereafter. It will play just like the MVS arcade game! AWESOME. :)

- For many later titles and fighting games, there is the initial boot load sequence, but there are often almost equally long load sequences between matches. In the tag team fighters, even BETWEEN ROUNDS (Terrible when it's three on three). NOT SO AWESOME.

So, that's basically what you are looking at.. There are a ton of games that have tolerable load times, and some of the earlier fighting games (the original Fatal Fury and Double Dragon) are more than tolerable, too. I personally keep my Neo CD around for the action games, and there is plenty of them!

Oh, I forgot to note, the controllers are neat, too. They take a minute to get used to, but use a tiny joystick with actual microswitches. Also, if you feel like shelling out the money (roughly $40 USD, not sure what that equates to in your money), get one of the Neo Geo Controller Pros. It's basically a small arcade stick by SNK for the Neo-Geo CD. They are great sticks.

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:00 am

I have a CDZ, which cuts down the load times a bit, but they're still pretty bad in a lot of cases. Smaller, older, games play great. But if you want to play King of Fighters on it or anything, don't even bother.

All in all, I think I would have been better off buying a consolized MVS.

I do love the controllers, though, and would probably use them over the arcade sticks that come with the AES.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:05 pm

Thanks chaps, I appreciate the insight. So, what 10 games would you recommend?

Austin

Post by Austin » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:45 pm

Ten, huh?

(Numbered just for the sake of having ten)

1. Metal Slug
2. Metal Slug 2 (Even with the loading it's still great)
3. Puzzle Bobble (Bust-A-Move)
4. Ninja Commando (unique vertical shoot 'em up)
5. Viewpoint
6. Sonic Wings/Aero Fighters 2
7. Sonic Wings/Aero Fighters 3
8. Windjammers/Flying Power Disc
9. Top Hunter (side-scrolling platformer)
10. Crossed Swords (hard to describe, but awesome)

Plenty of others, but I'd have to look at a list or something to name them off. I even enjoy quite a few of the mediocre ones (Ghost Pilots for instance). Even if they suck, you are still getting perfect ports of early '90s arcade games. ;D

OH.. If you buy a Jap system, the region mod is very easy to do. It will enable most games to be played in English, even if they originated from Japan.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:58 am

Good to see viewpoint in there. I have the PS1 version, and I've played the Neogeo version on emulator. I like it but people say it's too hard :)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:12 am

Viewpoint is awesome. Played it all the time in the arcade, still want the MVS cart.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Austin

Post by Austin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:22 pm

Yeah, Viewpoint IS awesome.. It's probably my most-played Neo-CD game, even though it's extremely difficult. I've only ever finished the slimmed-down Genesis version. I've never been able to complete the Neo or PlayStation versions, and I consider myself to be pretty good at shooters. :shock:

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:26 am

You know, I COULD get you some cheap MVS carts.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:00 pm

PM sent.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:13 pm

Saw it. Meeting my arcade dealer next week

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:51 am

So I bought a Japanese Neg Geo CD :)

Sonic Wings 2
Crossed Swords
Viewpoint
King of Fighters '94
Samurai Shodown 1 & 2

I would have gotten more of the recommended list but they aren't so easily come by.

it's on 3 - 5 days EMS :)

Scarlettkitten
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Scarlettkitten » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:53 am

Wicked, Viewpoint is excellent on the Neogeo 8)

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:03 am

Love my Neo CD - due to downsizing the AES is going but in many ways I prefer the CD (at least the game prices and availability).

Last Resort is a fairly cheap must have title
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG