Damn business trips.

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Damn business trips.

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:09 pm

I travel with work. All over the place. It can get you down. Take tomorrow for instance. Tomorrow I go to Mauritius with work to do business.

For those unfamiliar with the place. Here is the barron industrial complex's wikipedia page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauritius

and here is a typical picture. Although it doesn't all look like this. Sometime it looks better. More dancing girls :)

HA!!!

Expect lots of updates and pictures. Seriously, I'm doing work here. 20 years ago I hacked into my universities computer system, got kicked off of the network and I've been selling that story ever since. It finally paid off. That's right kiddies - crime pays :) I guess it's down hill from here. Oh well. I love coconuts.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:58 pm

Hahaha, that's awesome.. :)

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:52 am

I'm dating a French girl and going in for an interview as a bar manager on a cruise line. Life sucks indeed.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:33 am

Sucks to be us.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:23 am

I've been working half days and getting paid full, plus today I spent most of the day at work watching videos on my iPod... but it's cold, cold, cold !
You guys suck.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:41 pm

Wish I could work half-time get paid full.
Life is ace eh?

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:43 pm

What exactly do you do, 3DOkid? As far as I could glean from past posts, you're some kind of IT security analyst?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:53 pm

Mobius wrote:What exactly do you do, 3DOkid? As far as I could glean from past posts, you're some kind of IT security analyst?
Technical / Sales stuff. I work for a silicon valley start up, and what I do is technically selling bleeding edge network security equipment. We have regular sales guys, but because the technology is pretty geeky, they employ people like me to sell it to geeks within companies. half what I do is actually powerpoint, the other half is installing, consulting, advising and evangelising the technology. It's good because I get to show-off, and present and things to audiences and groups, which I enjoy, but I also get to do hacking stuff. It's a pretty neat job -- and I've been lucky to get it. Especially this one. The region I cover is UK, Ireland and Africa.

Sometimes for delicate/sensitive/difficult jobs I get sent to do the work, like this job. Not because I have any special skills but because I work for the manufacturer and people prefer it that way.

I was real lucky, I joined the industry in 1995 just when commercial internet was taking off and people were trying to sell basic Firewalls to corporates. And had this tale of hacking my Uni network and getting kicked off.

The hack was perfect. I wrote a substitute telnet client for Windows 3.1 (in Turbo Pascal in case you care) that harvested passwords from people logging into the UNix system. The Unix system was where they got their email and stuff. It worked flawlessly. Well, almost flawlessly, it did blank the DOS screen before it started unlike the real Windows Telnet Client but no-one seemed to notice that.

No, it wasn't that, that got me busted.

It was the typical (patent pending) 3DOKid giggling around and showing off at how clever he was that got me caught. I also, slightly, used one account I had harvested off of my arch-nemesis (A guy called Tim) to send emails out on his behalf (with his name) to his male tutors asking for anal sex. Something Tim apparently didn't appreciate. How was I to know? I thought he looked like the type who would enjoy that kind of thing.

The reason I did this was Tim had gotten drunk some weeks before this incident and had been acting like an idiot, and threatening to beat-me-up and stuff, making fun of me - i was (am) kind of geeky/nerdy/ugly right? He was just an ass really. I think in America you would call him a jock-bully or something. I wasn't entirely a geek I was part Equalizer: Don't get mad, get even. (Edward Woodward)

A couple of weeks later he shot at me with an Air Rifle. He missed by the way ;)

I wasn't pure as driven snow either, we had an ongoing feud.

I also got kicked off of the network for hacking NASA. basically I went on a MUD (Multi User Dungeon) on this Unix system, MUDS were a precursor to MMORPGS, and got chatting to this guy who gave me a username, password and IP address for a machine on the internet. SO, like an idiot I logged in to discover it was a NASA FTP server. The password and user name were restricted. NASA contacted the uni, the uni contacted me, they asked me where I got the login, I told them everything I could, and I got a 3 month network ban for my trouble.

...not that it mattered as I had about 40 user names and passwords from the University system I harvested with my fake telnet client, i could still login any time and look for files, (I used to love the Tiff files and JPGs NASA would make available for download) make an ass of myself in MUDs, just no email. I could still post on NNTP servers like rec.games.video.3do mind you :) Many of which are still readable on the web :)

I did a lot of this type of thing. inspired genius, followed by big mouth, followed by big trouble. The brain I have isn't bad, it's just the mouth and communication bit glued to it that let me down time-after-time.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:28 am

It was hellish this job I tell you. hellish.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:17 pm

I love your college story!
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"