Chrono Trigger

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Chrono Trigger

Post by Trev » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:38 pm

Long story semi short ...

I've wanted to buy this game for my DS for some time now. I've pretty good memories playing it on the SNES back in the day. Well, when cleaning my gameroom I discovered I already own it! :shock: It is in a psx complation disc I have (Final Fantasy chronicles I think its called?)

Thoughts on game? One of the classics of the genre? I'm reserving final judgement til I beat it, but so far I'm digging it! :)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:28 pm

ive wanted to try chrono trigger for along time but the price was way to high and mine have to come with all paperwork which adds more to the price (dont care about the box)

but right now im playing Zelda : a link to the past on my GB advance SP for the first time and i love it
i think the 2nd zelda on the NES killed the joy of zelda back then and i skipped this one for about 18 years :D
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:47 am

I've tried playing it on multiple occasions but couldn't get into it. I don't think it's a bad game.. I just can't bring myself to get into *any* role playing game these days (and actually, the last 10+ years or so).

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:51 am

It's one of my fav games of all time. A note though, if you can find the DS version cheap, get it. PSX version suffers from load times

EDIT, just noticed you said you were already playing it so the load times must not be bothering you too much.

I put many many hours into the DS version, maybe just as many hours as I put into it when I had it on SNES. When it comes to people's favorite RPGs of the era, it's usualy FF6 or this game.

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:51 am

It's one of the few RPGs I genuinely like (the others being the Mario RPG games and the Earthbound/Mother series).

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:26 pm

People really overblow the load times. Sure, it's assy that they're in there in the first place, but when I finally picked up a copy they weren't that bad.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:43 am

When you are used to the SNES version, load times steal from the nostalgia. But I have not played CT on PS. I think FFVI on PS felt brutal with load times and even some of the sounds were different. But this is going from memory many many years ago. GBA version of FFVI, believe it or not, is my go to version. It has all the bugs from the snes version fixed. The bugs made the game too easy. There was something wrong with the way stats were used if I remember correctly. OK, enough rambling.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:43 am

I'm at the end boss now. I swear I must have delivered at least 9000 hp of damage and the dude is still standing! :evil:

Maybe I'll knock him off tonight.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:43 am

One of the best parts of the game is that when you beat it, you can play New Game + keeping your stats and playing through getting all the alternate endings. Some of them are quite amusing.