I hate not having the internet

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

I hate not having the internet

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:23 pm

Since we are moving in 2 1/2 months or so, my wife and I decided to save some money and drop our land line phone and the internet. I miss it. :(

The thing is, for the longest time I neve had it. I would go to my in-laws, the library, coffee shop, etc ... I would sneak a peek at work, and take my laptop anywhere I could get a signal. I was content for the most part.

Now that I've been spoiled having it at home to look things up on a whim, downloading all sorts of time wasters, etc... I feel it has become less of a "want" and more of a "need". I don't like it. :evil:

I miss instatant Netflix on my Wii! I miss not having access to this forum daily! I miss no longer being the 2nd highest poster. :wink:

Once we get situated in our new home, we'll get it again. I hate being hooked on electronic stuff (save videogames of course) Oh well, at least I still don't have an ipod.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:27 pm

I don't want to sound patronising but, and because I worked in Internet since 1994 and at Uni before that, I cannot believe it is possible not to have it.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:33 pm

You'd be surprised some of the things people don't have that you'd think would be common place. I'm always amazed when I call customers from work only to find that they have no answering machine/voice mail. Or going to my gradparents and seeing no microwave on the counter.

The internet is too useful though and (for both my wife & I) really needed for secular work. So yeah, this will only be temporary.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:35 pm

Ban request is on hold I assume? ;)
Good luck Trev, I don't have a microwave either.
My voicebox uses a 12 seconds long Ren & Stimpy audio file, before the *beep*

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:44 pm

I'll get my ban request in 7-10 business days. :lol:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:54 pm

Do you want me or 3DO Experience to issue it? *

* Not picking me will result in a ban request.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:36 pm

I choose Devin or Bas. :wink:

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:09 am

No Microwave? But how do you cook? LOL j/k I have pork chops and mashed potatoes last night... and this morning. Got a DiGiorno in the oven right now.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:26 am

I dont have a microwave myself. I hate microwave food. I make everything in the oven or on the stove. Mushy food is for cats. :)

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:51 pm

3DO Experience wrote:No Microwave? But how do you cook? LOL j/k I have pork chops and mashed potatoes last night... and this morning. Got a DiGiorno in the oven right now.
I love cooking. I use everything, except a microwave. With my new kitchen:
http://mikkai.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/game0675.jpg
http://mikkai.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/game06792.jpg
I make perfect hot salads, rustic sauces, vegetarian burgers,
pizza, au gratin, etc... without flavor enhancer, without oven ready meals.

Tatsumaru
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Tatsumaru » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:01 pm

Since my microwave broke one month ago, I think I ate nothing but ramen noodles so far.
Seriously, the tecnology pretty much made me a slave of it, It's so fuking hard to live without the internet and stuff like the microwave that saves so much of your time. :(

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:28 pm

3DO Experience wrote: I have pork chops and mashed potatoes last night... and this morning.
Pork chops for breakfast ... gross! :P You sound like my wife, she has been known to eat odd things for breakfast (tuna for ex)

@Tatsumaru ... careful, too many salty ramen noodles can lead to kidney stones. :wink:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:20 pm

Asians, like Koreans, Japanese and Chinese, from my first hand experience of them, have just crazy breakfasts. Rice, yes rice, for breakfast. Not Rice Krispies either, boiled rice. And soup, and dumplings, and sea weed. It's just madness i tell you. The Japanese also have Natto Beans, which are basically gone-off soya beans. I call them snotty beans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natt%C5%8D

One time when I was trying to educate them (all of S.E. Asia) in the proper food to have for breakfast, in that way only the British can, with a lovely bacon and egg sandwich, they had the audacity to ask me: Can you eat that? Heathens.

Americans make good bacon, scrambled eggs, coffee and English Muffins. God knows where they come from, since I'm English and our muffins are generally horrible but the memory of US breakfast was soiled by the breakfast taco. Which seems to be last nights sick in a bit of badly cooked pancake and wrapped in tin foil served just about the temperature salmonella needs to gestate.

I'd love to know how they make scrambled eggs in the US. They are generally like bits of abused rubber here in the UK.

I once, while in Israel, with a hangover, had cooked sushi for breakfast. Yes, cooked. That's all there was though. I asked for unleavened bread but they didn't see the funny side.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:21 am

1. These are not simple porkchops, they have lots of sauce made with green peppers, onions ect...

2. Yes us Americans sure can kick up a good mouth watering breakfast, complete with "English" muffins, I think they are what the English call bread muffins.

3. To make scrambled eggs you simply put your frying pan on medium heat, let it get all the way hot, and then crack the egg into it. You must scramble the eggs before they completely cook up, otherwise it's just a fired egg that you chopped up. If you want them fluffy crack the eggs into a bowl and then add a little bit of milk and a pinch of salt. (both to taste) Then pour and scramble.

Don't forget to grease you pan, preferably with butter.

4. Yes breakfast tacos and breakfast burritos are gross, however you might like my version.

Make more tacos than you plan to eat for dinner, save some of the ingredients and soft shells for the morning. Re-cook the meat and add some non-fluffy scrambled eggs. Fry up some bacon. Open a soft shell place your meat & egg mixture in, put the bacon on it and then top as you would a normal taco. This probably sounds nasty to a lot of people right now. :lol:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:02 pm

Nope. No idea what a bread muffin is either. Muffin to me is cake. Which possibly where my stupidity kicks in.

I love breakfast.

I have to go to Las Vegas in September, a place I wasn't hugely impressed with. I like 'homely' places where people are proud of what they are. Everyone seemed disinterested in vegas

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:19 am

A muffin here is like a little cake, English muffins are nothing like them. So both your and our 'muffins' are most likely the same.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:47 pm

ooooh. You live and learn. English muffins and Bagels are ace in America. Light fluffy and yum. Stodgy and hard in the UK :(