ITT: Confessions of video game addicts

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

ITT: Confessions of video game addicts

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:36 am

Ok people time to give up your stories that you are ashamed to tell.
Did you spend the money you were going to use for Mother's Day on a new game? Trick a younger sibling into trading x-mas presents? Or maybe something erotic...

:twisted:
Last edited by 3DO Experience on Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:05 am

What did YOU do?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:18 am

Trev wrote:What did YOU do?

Exactly what I was thinking. What happened 3DO Experience? That last sentence in your post is obviously your way of saying that you have something you want to tell us.
As always, pics are appreciated.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:19 am

i know what she did
she made this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rD0rhWn8sU
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:40 am

lmao.

I once convinced my younger sister to use her birthday money to buy a used copy of excitebike. I was quite young back then though. And she ended up liking the game, err I should say I convinced her she liked it. I guess thats not too bad though.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:31 pm

Strip Tekken.

It's not hard to tell when a girl fancies you when she gets drunk and agrees to playing strip tekken. Especially, when she didn't even know what Tekken was. I won the first two rounds controlling the game with my feet, just bashing away, which was a failed attempt to rest her fears that I was 'really good' at tekken and i merely wanted her naked. But she did that girl thing where an earing counts as item of clothes anyway.

Beats strip poker, since with poker i don't even know when I'm winning.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:50 am

I have a few confessions I can make. The more others contribute the juicer they’ll get. But right now, since the game room is slowly getting worked on all I can think about are games. When I’m at work I feel like I’m going through withdrawal, really. I wondered many times before if I was starting to have a problem but now I know I do. I find so many extra systems and I keep boxes from third party rumble packs and other junk.

I thought getting rid of redundant items would be a good help to the problem but when I put together the things I’m going to trade all I think about is the other stuff I’ll be getting in return. I don’t just collect, I play but there is never time to finish things as I keep getting more. All I could think about at work today was the possibility of getting a TurboDuo.

Oh and Will, you'll notice we often where an extra necklace and more rings than normal when we play strip anything. :D

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:30 am

You don't have a TurboDuo already? What the hell? Your collection must be quantity over quality.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:54 am

No I have the TG-16 and wanted only the CD add-on for the longest time. But trying to find just the CD set without another TG-16 (and not being a complete rip-off) is a pain.... it's time to break down and get the Duo...

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:16 am

3DO Experience wrote: Oh and Will, you'll notice we often where an extra necklace and more rings than normal when we play strip anything. :D
Bloody B.A.Baracus

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:36 am

In 2002 or 2003, my parents wanted me to go back to school. They gave me a few hundred dollars to take a few classes at the local community college. Well, about two weeks prior to classes starting, I went to the school, cancelled the classes and got a refund. I had good intentions with the money, but like always, it ended up quickly being spent on food and games.

A year or two later, I was rear-ended. Nothing too damaging, just some serious scuffs that I thought would require a paint job. I went and got a quote from a local shop equating to about $450, and the person that hit me ended up paying me that amount under the table. Well, my Dad expected me to get the car "fixed" with that money (he bought the car, for the most part, so I understand the expectation).. And, again, I had good intentions on actually doing so.. but I kept putting it off, and in about a week's time that $450 was gone, again spent on food and games. Mostly games.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:35 pm

:shock: You dropped out of college to buy video games!?! Oh it was community college... that's like not going to after-school clubs. Still, wow.
Last edited by 3DO Experience on Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

tinman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by tinman » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:50 pm

Couple of things to feed I did to feed a former addiction

*Drove 1-2 hours in the rain late at night with the girlfriend and a headache that would knock out a pod of whales to buy a what would be regarded as a Australian specific NES game from a guy in the suburbs who had advertised in a trading post. I think I only ever played it for a total of 10 minutes

*Organized for my boss to "meet" someone in a MacDonalds car park to pick up a less than official game for me when I was unable to do it as I was stationed 6 hours away and working. According to my boss it was all very clandestine and secret squirrel. This is in the early days before I became accustomed to ebay.

*Bought Flying Nightmares in a retail shop for $110 in 1995-1996. Again haven't played it yet and from some of the comments I've read elsewhere I wasted my money. I think I also bought Mazer at this price as well. But I've played this more but still feel disappointed with my purchase

*After playing a demo copy at work, I hunted and sourced a genuine copy of Bikini Karate Babes for the PC. Again it sits in storage unplayed.

Probably minor on a scale of things :?

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:05 am

Whoops, wrong thread. Ignore.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:01 am

Ok time for another confession. This happened... yesterday.

I had put some money away this past week to buy some new winter footwear as well as a few other things. I spent it last night on video games. :cry:

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:23 am

3DO Experience wrote:Ok time for another confession. This happened... yesterday.

I had put some money away this past week to buy some new winter footwear as well as a few other things. I spent it last night on video games. :cry:
And when you slip and break your foot due to lacking a good pair of boots, you'll have plenty of time to play all your new games. :wink:
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:33 am

I hate you Trev. :lol:

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:17 pm

I'm doing it again right now. I just bought a Super Famicom game and now I'm looking through the sellers other auctions. OMG white Saturns! I already paid for the game but I want more! NEO-GEO CD!!! Saturn floppy drive! PC-FX! Famicom MODEM! I want sooooo bad I'm gonna cry!!!!

Ok, my dad wants to go for breakfast, I fear this is the only thing keeping me from buying everything right now.

No joke, I think I have a problem.

And I know I'm going to leave that page open when I leave.

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:17 pm

Cannot remember, but people still have a strange look, when they see me.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:14 pm

LOL you have repressed memories of video game madness!

I lucked out, kinda, my mother got on the computer and shut it down while I was out for breakfast so the page isn't up anymore. I'm still tempted to go back and buy. Last night I was looking at Saturn games in a UK website, I didn't put an order in because I was tired. I was up until 4am looking at game stores.

UPDATE: I went ahead and made two offers on some controllers (DC & SuperFami) I convinced myself that I had to get the boxed PC-FX and got myself out of it but seeing that yellowing had taken place behind the sticker so there was no way to fix that. Most of everything else I calmed down about during breakfast, he did have broken white Saturns that I could have used for just the shell but it was still $60 shipping to USA, that got me outta that pickle. I will be going back in a few weeks for three more games though.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:36 pm

Wait a min, did you ever get the Duo you had your eye on?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:09 pm

No, I still want one it's just that there were import costs and I'd have to use my step-down converter on it, he refused my best offer and I'd rather have one that has the TurboGrafx logo than PCE. Price really does help curve my purchases, but I always nickle and dime myself to death in the end.

I've made several purchases since I came here, some were a single game others we a few games.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:35 pm

Ok, I'm going to take this into a more serious note here. I see alot of negative context on being a video game addict going on here. I just want to say this. If you truly feel like this is a very negative thing where it is hurting your life and you are completely out of control of your actions, please try to get some help. There may be a bigger issue at hand, like OCD or something similar. Maybe I am just taking this more serious than the issues at hand really are, but I do see this discussion going on in two threads at the moment. And If anyone really does need help with an issue, I hope that I could persuade them to at least look into getting an appointment to make sure that an unknown condition is not affecting them. Nothing should take over someones life to where it could be ruining it. Do you have an obsession, or does your obsession have you?

Sorry to go all serious like that. But I felt it needed to be said. Maybe I care too much, but thats the way I am.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:15 pm

Thank you for your concern Bry. I started to wonder if I might have an addiction when I ordered a bunch of homebrew Atari 2600 games. When I made the poll I thought I could have an issue. Now that I have gone on vacation I know it's become a problem.

I mean I can't stop. I feel like I need these things. That if I dont get them now they won't be around later. I think it comes from both seeing places like Game Stop letting you trade in old games for credit and then they destroy them! Gone forever! In my hometown there was a diner and they always had a Donkey Kong Jr. cab. One day I go in and it's gone. I ask what happened and they said it wasn't being played enough so they took it to the dump! THE DUMP!!! I've passed up sooo many opportunities because I hesitated. I could have bought as many copies of Cheetah Men 2 as I wanted, still in the shrinkwrap for $25 each. You know how much they go for now? $400+

The PC-FX I can live without, I should have bought the Famicom modem. I am in the process of buying a mouse for the Dreamcast. I will be spending $150 on some Nintendo items after others arrive and I bought that book I had on my thumb drive. I am going to try to stop buying, I'll have plenty to play with and between that, cleaning the game room and reading that 600+ page book I should keep things under control.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:08 am

Feeling better today and last. A friend of mine is always trying to get me to celebrate x-mas early with her and she got me last night. We exchanged presents and I got a Wii and a DS game and haven't player either of them yet. I feel calm, but mail might be coming in tomorrow... game mail. Dunno how long this will last.

OK back to the reason I started this thread. Tell me your dirty secretes! Another from me before they start getting too naughty. I have spent more money on video game stuff for myself than I have on x-mas presents for others. And this is not the only year I've done it.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:42 am

I used to keep track of how many games I bought each month. I've lost track, but it was always at least a few every month.

The thing is (like you) prices do tend to drive my purchases. I might buy like 8 or 9 games in a month, but if I can do it for less than $50 than I don't think its a big deal. Conversly If I were to only buy say two games a month, but they were brand new releases at like $60 bucks a pop than I might think twice.

I'm at the point now though were I've a number of games I've owned for a while but have yet to play. So they are still essentialy brand new. I'm hoping hitting my back catalog will tide me over these next few months.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:29 pm

Expy's making me think I should actually go ahead with my scouring the flea markets and putting older stuff up for sale online idea when I move back home. I've had multiple TG-Duos and people do ask.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:51 pm

But uh, to be honest, it really does sound like you have the addiction going. Think about how this is affecting you, is all I can say. That and it's easier to keep yourself out of a position to commit an action than it is to keep yourself from committing that action.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:01 am

Send one of those Duo's my way! Seriously.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:49 am

Had, past tense. Honestly, I often price things up to keep the more exotic show pieces, but even at $250 I sell the Duos quickly. I'll try to seek out an affordable one for you.

Hell, if I get good at this, maybe I'll open a thread for requests and you people can sticky it. Gonna have to wait a couple of months at least, until after my move.