G.O.G. closed

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

G.O.G. closed

Post by Trev » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:29 am

https://www.gog.com/

I'm sad. :( This was (by far) the easiest, quickest, and most hassle free site I've ever found for legit downloads.
Last edited by Trev on Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:57 am

bye bye to a site i never heard of
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:42 pm

Funny you should mention this, I heard a rumor through the rumor mill that its more of a publiicty stunt and they are re-doing the site. Nothing really says on there that they are closing for good. It looks like they are just treading close to the idea that they are closing down for good but not completly saying it. The wording is carefuly done.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:40 pm

BryWI wrote:Funny you should mention this, I heard a rumor through the rumor mill that its more of a publiicty stunt and they are re-doing the site. Nothing really says on there that they are closing for good. It looks like they are just treading close to the idea that they are closing down for good but not completly saying it. The wording is carefuly done.
And it's working a treat right? I mean, much like Lemmi, I had never heard of this site, but this is second or third time I've seen it mentioned. To spite them, and their successful marketing ploy (should it be that) i still won't buy from them through spite.

(yes, cutting my nose off to spite my face is a plausible course of action!)

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:29 pm

GoG, even recently, has been advertising like crazy. With all the money they dumped into advertising, it wouldn't surprise me if they went bankrupt. Then again, like hell I'd shut down at that point.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:11 pm

Their marketing guy deserves to do well if that is the case. takes balls right?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:25 am

come on... it's gog, yes lets pay someone money in order to download games that you are allowed to download for free in the first place. I hope they stay closed.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:26 am

They had several exclusive choices you couldn't find elsewhere. Plus full documentation w/bonuses, 100% compatibility, no virus threats, etc... lots of other perks too that came w/being a legit site.

I hope they show up again in some fashion or another. If not, I may have to reconsider my digs in Cairo ... :wink:
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:42 am

Trev wrote:They had several exclusive choices you couldn't find elsewhere. Plus full documentation w/bonuses, 100% compatibility, no virus threats, etc... lots of other perks too that came w/being a legit site.
Yep.. full ripped mp3 soundtracks with every game (even the ones that didn't use CD audio back in the day, like the earlier Apogee games), scanned manuals, compatible on modern systems without having to dick around with them for five hours before getting them working, etc. etc. You also get a game package that you can back up and store (no DRM).. I better get to doing that in case they are going down for good. :(

I signed up on gog.com almost a year ago and have bought titles on and off since. A lot of the Apogee stuff from back in the day, the Descent series, Shogo, the Earthworm Jims (Which are cheaper on gog than Steam), and a good bit more. I don't agree with a lot of their prices ($10 for old DOS games or bad Windows games), but the ones that are $6 are reasonably priced considering the bonuses (Yes!! A soundtrack to Raptor!), and they do have holiday sales like Steam does where games go 50% off or more (these are the times where I've gotten most of my games).

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:17 pm

Well it's not closing down... Very dumb marketing/business move to do what they did. I can't wait to see all the complaints rolling in. I can't be bothered to monitor them though.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:40 pm

Trev wrote:They had several exclusive choices you couldn't find elsewhere. Plus full documentation w/bonuses, 100% compatibility, no virus threats, etc... lots of other perks too that came w/being a legit site.

I hope they show up again in some fashion or another. If not, I may have to reconsider my digs in Cairo ... :wink:
Just a minute. Games come with, what was that word? Yes, that's it: "Documentation"?

Are you in the closet, or any small storage space?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:55 pm

:roll:
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:58 am

Glad to see they aren't going away. :)

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:35 am

Trev wrote:Glad to see they aren't going away. :)
but now you have to pay $20 per download :lol: :P

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:52 pm

$5.99 is the most I've ever paid (they do have some @ $9.99) And they are always running promos, sales, package deals, etc ...

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:55 pm

Trev wrote:$5.99 is the most I've ever paid (they do have some @ $9.99) And they are always running promos, sales, package deals, etc ...
hahaha i had no idea they sold games, i was just making a funny (i had never seen the site before this thread)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:40 pm

You should check it out Lemmi.