I LOVE FINAL FANTASY

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

I LOVE FINAL FANTASY

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:24 pm

ooooh Just finished Crisis Core on the PSP. It really is jerking for those tears in final showdown but it was fun. It's nothing like Final Fantasy 7 to play but it preempts FFVII really well. It was awesome - I loved it :)

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:08 am

:O
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:49 am

been playing final fantasy 2 gba version lately on my DS here and there. I tried to get into FFV again but it just wasnt happening. FFVI though still has to be my fav. I could play that one over and over and not be bored. Stop making me talk about FF games lol.

OT: Chrono Trigger has been subliminaly calling my name lately...

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:13 am

I played FFVI on the PS1 recently. It's very very nice :) I keep meaning to give FFVII another bash maybe I will now I have played Crisis Core. I am going to get Final Fantasy (the original and II) on the PSP as well. I know it's not pure but people will complain if I lug my 32" CRT telly on to the train :)

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:35 pm

FFVI and Tactics are my favorite. I enjoy everything before VI, but I abhor VII and everything afterwards with extreme prejudice.

I own the Final Fantasy Anthology set for PS1 that includes FFV and FFVI. They're terrible ports in my opinion. Load times are godawful.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:08 am

Yeah I remember a friend had those ps1 ports... I was not impressed at all. I said I'd stick to the snes one lol. The gba port is actually pretty good. The music differs just a little bit on some songs but for the most part you can't tell the difference from the snes version. Well except for the aspect ratio that is, but that is minor. Anyone Play the DS FF IV Remake? I never got around to buying it, but i hear it is pretty cool. If they do the same for VI, i'm all over it.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:47 am

My PS1 is probably the best machine for these types of games. It's chipped see and I don't have a SNES and I can' play emulated.

I loved 6. The leap between 6 and 7 make me think that perhaps Luciennes Quest on the 3DO was definitely a stop gap.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:23 am

The only Final Fantasy game I ever "loved" was Crystal Chronicles go figure. Purists may cringe, but I just like real-time what can I say ...

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:05 am

I struggled with XII because of the realtime. I didn't like it. But Crisis Core does realtime battles well. I do prefer turn based. It's more strategic.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:57 am

BryWI wrote:Yeah I remember a friend had those ps1 ports... I was not impressed at all. I said I'd stick to the snes one lol. The gba port is actually pretty good. The music differs just a little bit on some songs but for the most part you can't tell the difference from the snes version. Well except for the aspect ratio that is, but that is minor. Anyone Play the DS FF IV Remake? I never got around to buying it, but i hear it is pretty cool. If they do the same for VI, i'm all over it.

Oi mate the FFIV remake is bitching awesome!!! It's a word for word and scene for scene remake just in 3D. I love it. It's fantastic. Tellah even calls Edward "a spoony bard". What more could you ask for?
-Vladimir Lenin

Karyyk
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Karyyk » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:06 am

I loved Final Fantasy until XI...all downhill from there I'm afraid. It barely resembles the games of old. If anyone is looking for an alternative, Lost Odyssey on the 360 gets my vote. It feels like Final Fantasy (which might have something to do with it being developed by Hinorobu Sakaguchi's Mistwalker and the Nobuo Uematsu soundtrack). There's even the obligatory Cid character (spelled slightly differently, for obvious reasons).

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:32 am

Lost Odyssey: Flashback Edition - Hey, look at that woman and child. Time for a flashback. Look at that horse. Time for a flashback. LOOK AT THIS BUSH WHAT THE HELL.

Anyway, I found the early FF games to be decent games for the time they were made in. The new ones I've liked and hated. FFX and XIII... way too linear. It's like going through one long hallway with no roof. I did enjoy XII because they had cities that seemed bigger than what needed to be there... ever notice that most towns have about 20 people and probably enough homes for five beds? XII added a badly-needed layer of illusion.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:52 am

FFIV and VI have to be my favorites, but I stopped after that. Fell out of it with RPGs in general in the mid '90s..

I did just start a new game of Suikoden (part I) on my PSP a few days back. First RPG I've played in a loong, long time, and it reminds me of what made the classic Final Fantasy games good (IMO). It may even get me back in to gear to finally give the other PS1 Final Fantasies a shot.. We'll see.