Resident Evil 5

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Resident Evil 5

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:25 pm

Anyone played this?

After MGS4, Killzone 2 and GT5 I'm somehwat jaded...

Is RE5 any good?

clive
3DO ZERO USER

Post by clive » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:30 am

Game kicked some serious arse :D

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:18 am

Better than 4?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:01 am

No. No isn't.

Remember 4? It was stinky. It was oppressive. It was horrid and it was scarey. Well, 5 ain't like that. It's Gears of War meets Resident Evil 4. It's another Weekend at Bernies.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:57 am

I liked Weekend At Bernies... well the first one.

4 wasn't scary though. I enjoyed it but it turned Resident Evil into another over the shoulder action game where you had more ammo than Rambo.

Well here's a review of RE5 done by my favorite reviewer:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... ent-Evil-5
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

Tears of Ash
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Tears of Ash » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:18 am

Resident Evil 5 is pretty fun.

I'll echo the popular sentiment though. RE5 takes the "evil" out of it. There's hardly any more puzzles, and it's not as dark. (it was never too terribly scary in the first place, but at least it was dark.)

While it's a fun game, I think they've left behind some of the fundamentals of the franchise in order to capture even more of the Western market.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:57 am

I've enjoyed everything the Resident Evil stable has released.

All the games, all the movies, with no exception.

That said, 5 isn't their greatest moment. I still stand by the original. Flawed but heart felt is my honest opinion of it. I love it more for nostalgic reasons probably :)

The problem is with 5 is this: when you are a 6 foot 2 inch tall (over 2 meters) muscle bound Marine, armed to the teeth with landmines, machine guns and guns and body armour and more guns, and you're backed up by a sharp shooting unlovable but can look after herself U.S. Marine type woman, you are not scared of a skinny looking black guy with a stick. No matter how ugly he is, or indeed becomes. You just cut him down.

In the original you were a skinny cop, all on your own, with an ineffective handgun and masses of belligerent zombies constantly in your way. Every door you opened you didn't know what to expect, and you had to keep running around that damned oppressive house, finding stuff and opening doors. It was a much slower pace and very much based on HP Lovecrafts Cthulhu Mythos (like Alone in the Dark and Dr Hauzer and D)

And in the 4th RE, they finally dumped all the intellectual stuff, and you were a slack jawed David Bowie look-a-like, looking after a slack jawed bimbo who would show you her knickers but wouldn't shoot a gun. The chances were in 4 was the zombie were more intelligent than the main protagonist but it worked. It became an action game. RE4 was dumber, but better.

In RE 0,1,2,3,4, Veronica you were up against it. you were in trouble. In 5, your in charge.

RE5 feels like you are the advanced point man on a U.S. lead invasion of Africa. Some-where waaaay behind you is the U.S. 1st Armoured Division and so you ain't scared of anything. RE5 is too dumb.

I'm the timid type see, so every resident evil was scary. All but 5. Plus steroids have made all the women in 5 ugly.

For 6 they want to humanise everyone again, slow the game down and pep up the story.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:52 pm

They have to bring Barry Burton back for me to start enjoying the series again. The original PSX one is my favorite and so far I've played almost all the RE games other than Survivor, the shitty gameboy ports, RE5, and the GC remake along with 0. Hell I even bought that light gun game for PS2 the day it came out. Dead Aim.

I liked 4 but I didn't feel like playing as Leon Kennedy.

I want to play Barry Burton. Barry Burton is the man. He is awesome. He s big, burly, and has a magnum.

I have THIS!
Jill Sandwich
Master of unlocking
I hope it's not CHRIS' BLOOD!
I'm gonna stay behind and examine THIS!

That is why the original RE is the greatest of the series.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:40 pm

UnholyTancred wrote:They have to bring Barry Burton back for me to start enjoying the series again. The original PSX one is my favorite and so far I've played almost all the RE games other than Survivor, the shitty gameboy ports, RE5, and the GC remake along with 0. Hell I even bought that light gun game for PS2 the day it came out. Dead Aim.

I liked 4 but I didn't feel like playing as Leon Kennedy.

I want to play Barry Burton. Barry Burton is the man. He is awesome. He s big, burly, and has a magnum.

I have THIS!
Jill Sandwich
Master of unlocking
I hope it's not CHRIS' BLOOD!
I'm gonna stay behind and examine THIS!

That is why the original RE is the greatest of the series.
Is of cause the correct answer.

The only real pity is we will never recapture the first time we played this.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:12 am

don't open... that door!

lol.

i was actually playing the DS version the other day. not bad really. Still have my ps1 CD too.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:32 am

Hell, when I even bought and read all the RE books for more Barry moments.
-Vladimir Lenin

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:43 pm

UnholyTancred wrote:Hell, when I even bought and read all the RE books for more Barry moments.
You're scaring me now. Stop.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:58 pm

Dammit. Typo. I meant to say when I was younger.

I was around 13-14 I believe when I purchased and read those S.D. Perry RE books. 2 were original stories and the others were novelizations of the game.

And I will stop scaring you. I didn't read her novelization of Resident Evil 0 :D
-Vladimir Lenin

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:08 am

I just played the RE5 demo on the 360.

Holy shit, Yahtzee was absolutely right in his review.

This game is the same exact game as RE4 except with improved graphics and a partner. I played the intro. It is exactly the same, scene for scene. Unbelievable!

I also find it interesting how Alone In The Dark 4 was universally panned and one of it's "flaws" that these corporate reviewers kept pointing out was it's real-time inventory system.

RE5 has the same thing but get's universal praise.

SCUZE ME?
-Vladimir Lenin

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:36 am

RE5 was definately an entertaining game to me..but nothing groundbreaking.

It just isnt Resident Evil anymore. Its the RE story in a completely new genre of gaming.

All this development time and all the advancements in tech, and Sheva (sidekick) is about as smart as my dog. Runs into walls and is constantly getting in my way

Still...for this generation its a hit