Life on Mars - was the US version necessary?

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Life on Mars - was the US version necessary?

Post by mattyg » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:48 pm

Okay , I hope there are some fans of this show out there or my post is going to look pretty stooopid.
The UK version of this show was perhaps IMHO one of the best TV shows ever .........period.
It outperformed even my previous best two ever Brit shows Edge of Darkness and The Singing Detective.
Which brings me to the point in question was the US version necessary?
So far the storylines have followed the original closely - usually a good thing but this time I'm not convinced - does it do anything but change faces and location? I thought it had the potential to add a new slant but I'm worried now either way.Should it continue to follow the original storyline or does it take the other easy option and turn into just another formulaic cop show?
An old friend of mine is actually a published TV critic and put this spin on it - the UK version he said was like The Sweeny meets Doctor Who whereas the US one is more like Starskey & Hutch meet Quantum Leap.
We know that both the original producer (David E Kelly) and the actor to play Gene Hunt (Colm Meaney) were both sacked by the studio after the US pilot was screened to test audiences but I have to admit Harvey Keitel is doing a fine job in the role.
I think it's an interesting debate and one that can also be applied to video games - do we benefit from updates and sequels?
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

Beef Supreme
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Beef Supreme » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:06 pm

so far i like the us version better . but it's also the one i saw first . if i saw the uk one first i might feel differently . but the us version makes more sense to me since i'm in the us and can understand all the slang and 70's refrences , i don't understand 50% of the uk slang and refrences . i also think the us version has a better soundtrack , and it's much higher budget . either way it's a great show and a unique idea which is why i like it in the first place .

Beef Supreme
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Beef Supreme » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:06 pm

so far i like the us version better . but it's also the one i saw first . if i saw the uk one first i might feel differently . but the us version makes more sense to me since i'm in the us and can understand all the slang and 70's refrences , i don't understand 50% of the uk slang and refrences . i also think the us version has a better soundtrack , and it's much higher budget . either way it's a great show and a unique idea which is why i like it in the first place .

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:09 pm

Our culture here is a fusion of American/British with our own nuances thrown in so the cultural references in both are familiar to Australians.One of the great advantages of the US version is that its made more people aware of the existence of UK one. Not a bad thing . I also find the American version a little dumbed down with cetain elements of the story being "telegraphed" to the viewer more so than the Brit series.
Great to see another fan though!

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:52 am

I can't comment -- but obviously I will.

The last British TV shows i could bring myself to watch were Black Adder and Red Dwarf. (and the later episodes of the latter were touch-and-go)

For some reason I can't stand watching my country men on TV anymore (Mr Jeremy Clarkson is the exception but only because he needs to be Prime Minister.)

When I switch on the TV or watch a film, I turn into a total racist. I want to see Americans, some Australians, perhaps some Japanese, certainly foreigners but no British. Under any circumstances. Hugh Grant is probably to blame and Kate (I'm a god now) Winslett. In fact the only British celebrity I want to see on TV right now is Jade Goody. And that's only to make sure she is actually dead and it isn't a Max Clifford PR stunt. (which I suspect it is)

Battlestar Galactica is the bestest of all best TV shows. Now there is a couple of British actors who have sneaked into that too but they hide it well. In the case of Lee Adarma I really thought he was from the Americas, I nearly exploded with surprise when I heard him speak. And the there is Gaius Baltar but he sounds like me (apparently) and I kind of like his character, I certainly like Tricia Helfer he hangs around with.

Weirdly I've only ever watched a few TV Series to completion but Edward James Olmos has appeared in a third of them.

Can anyone tell I'm bored?

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:48 am

It's funny you say that - my wife will generally turn off anything English and most Australian programs ( her father was a huge Brit comedy fan)
She would much rather watch US shows - then I point out all the English & Australian actors. Me ......I don't care if its good I'll watch it. I've had this discussion with a playwright friend of mine and we absolutly agree on the increased quality of US productions - Dexter , Life , Battlestar (yes he's a sci-fi fan) etc
But Life on Mars was something different and special- like I said I haven't felt that way since Edge of Darkness & Singing Detective.
The current Dr Who is also brilliant - and for its time Blakes 7 was the most intelligent sci fi on the box.
But back to the question are remakes necessary? The Office works (thanks to Steve Carrel) but many have failed the translation across the pond.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:13 pm

dont worry guys Life on Mars has been cancelled

there wont be a 2nd season

i never saw it, so i dont care either way
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:46 pm

I am now wondering if the story arc was completed - the UK version was always going to be 2 seasons only and had a very powerful ending.
It always a great pity when shows with specific plots are cancelled before the creators wind them up properly.
Babylon 5 nearly suffered the same fate when its cancellation was to occur a year earlier than planned so its final arc was messy and rushed just so its creator could at least finish it for the fans. The final irony was though that it ended up getting a reprieve and an extra series went ahead.As a result it too was messy and simply made up chunks of earlier arcs that just didnt fit properly.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:13 pm

they were given enough warning so they could change somethings to end the show with a true series finalle

here is the blurb i read it from
Breaking: ABC cancels 'Life on Mars'
Mar 2, 2009, 09:53 PM | by Michael Ausiello

Once again I get attached to a show with the word Mars in the title. Once again I'm mourning its premature demise.
Multiple sources are confirming that ABC has canceled my beloved Life on Mars. Per an insider, the network recently advised the show's producers that it would not be ordering a second season. The heads-up will allow them to make this year's season finale a series finale, thus leaving no questions unanswered.
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:25 pm

Thanks for the heads up Lemmi!
The guys in the UK told the network over there that it was only ever going to be the 2 seasons so both were commissioned straight up. The series was so popular that it has now spawned a spin off series with the same coppers surviving the transition into the eighties!

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:37 pm

Oh and in answer to the question: It probably wasn't. Imagine a UK remake of Miami Vice.

Sunny: By-eck, that lass is a proper tart th'knows.
Croquet: Aye - that she is lad. C'mon then our kid. Get in my XR3i before ya teas are ready.
Sunny: Oh alright then gaffer. Let's be off. We'll ave a pint down the dog-n'-duck.
Croquet: Make mine an 'arf.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:07 am

aye guv but I've just gotta do the bill thing an chase some crims up the Thames inma canal boat- jus save that arf 'till darts.