Review - Another DOOM Review

Have you recently played a 3DO Multiplayer game? Want to write a review? Post it here!

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Review - Another DOOM Review

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:40 am

Yeah, I know that a DOOM review was done already, but I just tortured myself to get a fresh image in my mind to do this, so here's my take on the id classic DOOM for the 3DO.

Fans of the game are always arguing as to which version is the best from this generation. The SNES, 32-X, Jaguar and just think, notice NOBODY ever brings up the 3DO version in this conversation. Why, you might ask? I hope that my review covers what is here and really answers this question and saves another person from curiosity and innocence lost.
First of all, let's be honest, you really have to have been living under a rock not to have seen DOOM in some form or another over the years as it is easily one of the biggest selling video games of all time. It has ports an pretty much every console to release after the SNES and it usually runs really cheap as they are a dime a dozen. id had the right idea here; let's take Wolfenstein 3D and overhaul it. Instead of running around a castle killing Nazi's, we want you to run around Mars and kill Demons. Sounds fun? It is as long as it isn't the 3DO version.
Logicware and ART Data handled this conversion. Logicware actually did the music, and this really was a good thing as the soundtrack here screams at you. The reworking of the soundtrack really makes me want to love this game and I every once in awhile pop the game in just to make sure it really is as bad as I remember it. So far, the game has never let me down; it is. Usually speaking, graphics are not the most important thing to me in games as long as they are playable. To be honest, even if DOOM on the 3DO had lost more detail but was playable, I would be happy. To get6 the game to run at any deacent frame rate, you better get the magnifying glass out because you are going to have to shrink the screen down to the smallest, and then it still has problems. If you get alot of enemies on screen, as we all know happens in DOOM, get ready to just put the pad down as the frames catch up to the action. This should have been embarrasing as this game really could have been a huge seller for the 3DO and would have helped to sell units. I tell you this much, if I was Trip Hawkins, I would have sued ART Data for defamation of character for a console because DOOM really made the 3DO look like shit. We all know the system could have handled it too, look at Killing Time. Choppy in areas, but still very playable.
The controls here are actually quite responsive as long as the frame rate isn't getting in the way! Sad really. If you are goping to spend the time and money licensing a game like DOOM, you better be ready to do the work and get it running right. This is easily one of the worst versions of the game. Sadder still, it is one of the more complete versions of it's time. It has most of the levels and all of the monsters. It seems like such a waste though as you will never get to see it because the first time the game freezes momentarily and the screen goes all crazy when you are fighting a Hell Baron and you get killed because of it, you will know why my TV has a 3DO pad embedded in it like one of Batman's Batarangs!

Graphics: 3
Sound: 8
Controls; 4
Fun Factor: 3
Replay: 0 (Unless you are into torture.)
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:34 pm

you will know why my TV has a 3DO pad embedded in it like one of Batman's Batarangs!
I'm not sure why, but this line made me chuckle :lol:

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:28 am

Trev wrote:
you will know why my TV has a 3DO pad embedded in it like one of Batman's Batarangs!
I'm not sure why, but this line made me chuckle :lol:
It was supposed to, partly because you might be able to see it happening with this game! :lol:
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!