Review - Powerslide Beta

Have you recently played a 3DO Multiplayer game? Want to write a review? Post it here!

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Gir Draxa
3DO ZERO USER

Review - Powerslide Beta

Post by Gir Draxa » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:14 am

First and foremost, I will point out that sound was not active in this beta. However, I have sampled the sounds and music that was to have been used in the game. It did show alot of potential.

In game control was still early in development, but definitly seemed on the right track with the Rally feel, including a drift effect. Flightstick and steeringwheel are optimized for already (however, this needs to be turned on in your CD image, it is not enabled standard in the Oldergames edition). Menu interactivity seemed to be nearly done. Mostly just needed the info for each car & track finished.

Some funny effects do happen in this beta visually. First, and most easily noticable... your car has no tires. hmm... Hover racing? Who needs 3DO to get WIPEOUT? We've got POWERSLIDE! heh.

Second, while the beta does allow for two players to try to play it... player 2 cannot lag behind at all, as player one controls all the environment.... stay still, and the world will drive away and leave player 2 in the void, watching the polygons around him race away with player 1.

Well, being a racing game fan, this was a treat to get to try out. The potential for this one was quite high, and realisticly, it could be raised from it's level by programmers of sufficent tallent. Most of the tools and program pieces are already on the disc.

Virtually unknown to the average 3DO gamer until quite recently, this one sort of got lost in the shuffle behind the announcements & cancellations of bigger name games like Ultimate MK3, and of course the M2 fiasco. However, as any good game manufacturer will tell you, 3rd party support is essential to selling your system. Elite was trying to put it's best foot forward, after releasing the meager title VIRTUOSO, but got it caught in the door slamming shut on the 3DO.

Kudos to Oldergames for publishing this one. I'm sure it'll be treated as a novelty tech-demo to most, and their special pack-in game will get a lot more play, but to me, its still quite cool. I'm sure if someone wanted to they could take the time to enable even a few of the disabled levels & features, they make a slightly more fun title out of it. Even so, its still quite enjoyable.

I'm including a video with this review of POWERSLIDE so that you may all sample what this game really is like. Hope you enjoy!

Drax
CEO of The (in search of a home) CD-i & 3DO Collectives

Just slightly behind at being ahead of our time!

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:36 am

Nice one. I'm looking forward to this the most. The scenery in the snow and country side section looks amazing! Is it difficult to play? You and the Oldergames guy seem to struggle...

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:33 pm

The 2player mode looks very funny.
And what's that Elite logo in the Powerslide video?
It's the same as in the shooter Hybrid for PSX.
Max Steiner rules.
I've got to have it.

Gir Draxa
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Gir Draxa » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:39 am

I honestly think 2-player mode was an afterthought at this stage. They seemed to concentrate their efforts on 1-player mode first.

Drax

Gir Draxa
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Gir Draxa » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:42 am

oh, sorry, didn't notice the other posting.

Actually, there isn't much to the controls. I did a spin out a few times just to show the gameplay (and to notice the car still has no wheels. heh), it does seem the car has a slight drift though, either by design, or just by conincidence. Plus there is one segment on the city track that for some reason, you can spin wildly out of control for just a tap any button.

Again, Powerslide really is a tech demo at heart, but still pretty cool for short term fun.

Drax