Review - Saishou racing law

Have you recently played a 3DO Multiplayer game? Want to write a review? Post it here!

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Review - Saishou racing law

Post by Trev » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:13 am

** This game was released exclusively in Japan **

As if the title didn’t give it away, this game is heavily Japanese. It’s also another horse racing game, which actually makes the first sentence a bit of an understatement. It is so Japanese, that I couldn’t even progress from the menus! This is a first for me (and hopefully a last) as far as imports go. I really should’ve known better from what little info I could gather on this title, as well as my prior experience with Winning Post. So my disappointments are really my own fault. But that doesn’t mean I won’t criticize this game.

With an intro that made the horse and rider look more like an automaton ala Syberia, I wasn’t quite sure what to expect from this title graphic wise ... and time hasn’t made the answer anymore clear. This is, without a doubt, the most unplayable 3DO game I’ve ever experienced! It has menus on steroids! It makes Winning Post and Paddock Note pale in comparison when it comes to sub screens. Menus which lead to more menus, which lead to more (lather, rinse, repeat) This must be beyond deep for this niche genre! :shock:

Again, I confess I couldn’t even figure out how to view a race. Each section I clicked ( 7 books and a trophy) led to menus. They didn’t even have the occasional picture based icon. Trial and error simply produced more menus swamped in Japanese. To rub salt in the wound, a couple of them I couldn’t even back out of and I had to reset the multiplayer. Oh, and the load times are rather annoying as well. :evil:

Image Image

No highlights to report on. A few still pics were all there really was besides foreign dialogue. The music was an all over the place mix. Piano that could have been yanked from a romantic mini-series, cartoon type jingles, maybe a tv theme song, a broken record or two … pass. :roll:

There may be a good game here if you can read Japanese. But as for me, I regret buying it. It shows up sometimes, usually quite cheap. But if you must have a horse race game on the 3DO, go for Paddock Note instead.

Only for the absolute most hardcore 3DO gamer … which I guess (surprisingly) I may not be. Oh well, off to the glue factory ...

-Trev
Last edited by Trev on Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Plissken
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Plissken » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:18 pm

Do you know if this game uses mainly hiragana/katakana alphabets or relies heavily on kanji? In the first case, i may give you an hand on the menus (but not on the rest, my japanese isn't so good)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:55 am

Thanks for the offer, but it really isn't the sorta game I'd wanna plunge that deep into. As far as imports go, I think I'm gonna try tackling Policenauts next.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:37 am

Love the reviews man, keep them coming.

When I see a new review, I usually get up from the desk, grab a drink, sit back down and enjoy the read. :wink:
Good stuff.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:28 pm

I appreciate the kind words bitrate. :)

I realized I'm inching up near 50 ... should probably plan something special for it.

AlexSan der Move

Post by AlexSan der Move » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:08 am

Another name of this geme - Keiba Saishou no Housoku(Winners Take All) - 3do

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Sun May 29, 2011 1:50 pm

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun May 29, 2011 2:13 pm

Only available on the M2! :wink:
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun May 29, 2011 5:51 pm

:lol:

jameskingama123
SPAMMER

Post by jameskingama123 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:20 pm

:lol: