Review - Takeru

Have you recently played a 3DO Multiplayer game? Want to write a review? Post it here!

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Review - Takeru

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:25 pm

** This game was released exclusively in Japan **

Image Image

This anime title is basically a digital comic book. Despite the Japanese, I managed to enjoy it a fair amount. Obviously I didn’t know the story but the interesting artwork made it fairly easy to follow along, and frankly I didn’t really care about the plot anyway. This disc is eye candy only. Not much to it really, but here are my brief thoughts.

The lead character, besides being a nominee for worst haircut ever, seems to have all he needs to embark on an exciting quest. The ability to shoot fireballs ala Ken from SFII (he’s even dressed just like him), mechanical seahorse riding skills, plenty of charm over the ladies (is licking girls the Japanese equivalent of hand shaking?), and a rodent like dog sidekick. Again, I have little clue about much of this game. :lol:

Image Image

Colorful, but mainly still, there are plenty of frames to look at (this is a long disc to view from start to finish, thankfully with a bookmark option) Occasionally the title does things to mix it up a bit like shaking the screen, panning and scrolling, fades, zooms, etc … I appreciated the attempt at variety. On the audio end, all speech is done via bubbles. No problem, but there is also limited music. Much of the title lacks a musical score, making the parts with tunes all the more welcome. None of the tracks are outstanding though, and the limited selection means they repeat.

Control couldn’t be more simple, as any button press flips the pages (the game won’t turn them for you lazybones :wink: ) You will be doing a lot of turning though with dozens of scenes in dozens of chapters.

A fine idea, that obviously would have benefited more with a well known story. Apparently there is a pc game with the subtitle ‘Letter of the Law’ that has been regionalized with English dialogue, as well as some puzzles. (possibly even including the making of clips that are found on the 3DO version) I have not played it yet though. Probably too culture specific for Panasonic to bring over here, it is still easy enough to find when you compare it to most 3DO imports (although a tad overpriced I think) Average overall, but for a 3DO importer an “average” import is usually quite good. 8) Do I recommend? Sure, it will give you a laugh at least if nothing else.

-Trev

P.S. Curiously, my copy didn’t come in a jewel case but in a sleeve (similar to the demo discs) Not sure if this is it’s only packaging or not.
Last edited by Trev on Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:41 pm

I kind of enjoyed this too. Nice review. I guess I could work on a translation and pop it on YouTube or something.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:49 pm

3DOKid wrote:I kind of enjoyed this too. Nice review. I guess I could work on a translation and pop it on YouTube or something.
Really?!? That'd be cool! :)

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:07 pm

It's a Buichi Terasawa comic, the guy who did Space Adventure Cobra, pretty much the only manga/anime property I could ever get into. Guy's got an imagination and the willingness to draw a lot of female butts.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:37 am

I saw this in an issue of EGM and wanted it. Years later I got a copy and still find it pretty cool. Still looking for a complete copy.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:52 pm

Just played this "game' and I have to say both trev and vance are spot on (did the three of us just agree on this!)

I found it interesting from a cultural point of view and it is probably about as interesting as video comic book will get.

I kinda enjoyed it

and yes he does know how to draw the female butt well!
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG