Review - Yu Yu Hakusho

Have you recently played a 3DO Multiplayer game? Want to write a review? Post it here!

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Review - Yu Yu Hakusho

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:57 pm

** This game was released exclusively in Japan **

A recent extended play session with this game has changed my long standing view of it. No longer the average title it appeared to be in quick bursts, it is now (in my opinion) a very poor game whose flaws accumulate with any kind of lengthy play. Not only has it easily cemented itself in last place among 3DO import fighters, but perhaps even overall (although I do confess that I’ve never actually played the retail version of ‘Shadow’, just a demo :lol: ) What is it that makes this game so bad?

The licence perhaps? It is true that licenced video games have a history of spotty quality (usually below average) Getting by simply on popular source material is the rule of thumb, with game play taking a back seat. But wait … aren’t both Sailor Moon and Ultraman (3DO import fighters) also licenced games? Yes … but with several strong points besides. Again, in my opinion, I could not find any strong points with this title. When viewed strictly as a 2d fighter, it’s flaws pile up beyond acceptableness. Here is a quick breakdown of it’s main offenses …

The roster is awful! The characters failed to impress me at all. Besides being graphically underwhelming, their size is too tiny for sure. Worse, your selection is limited to just 4! :shock: I kept thinking that as I progressed more would have to become available … but no. 4 is all for the main game …ridiculous! :evil:

The graphics are lousy! The characters, though plenty poor, look like gems when you compare them to the backgrounds. Ugly and washed out, with the added insult of being some of the most boring and unexciting backdrops I’ve ever seen in a 2d fighter! Oh, and if you think they’d make up for it in sheer variety you’d be wrong. 6 is all that is available.

The artificial intelligence is severely lacking.
Tough AI rarely shows it’s head in this game. Though special moves are executable, even on a standard pad, there is absolutely no need to use them. All you need to know is how to do jump kicks and throws. Corner trapping is also a very effective way to win (yes it is cheap to be sure, but I feel little guilt when little effort is made to avoid it) Did I mention that the contests are essentially 4 against 1? The default difficulty setting is an insult to any halfway serious fighting game fan!

There are a number of lesser offenses too, though still plenty annoying. Far too much lengthy and crappy animation (explains where the focus went instead of on game play :evil: ) Poor audio, with the screams and grunts of the combatants battling with the spotty soundtrack (m-e-l-l-o-w) for worst offender. And the overall kiddish look of the game, which I picked up on early thanks to the blue haired child and her friend birdie that greeted me on the menu screen, is lame. :roll:

More of a chore to play than anything else, Yu Yu has no business being on the shelf with 3DO’s many great fighting games. Not recommended at all! :evil:

-Trev
Last edited by Trev on Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:27 am

I put it in for the first time today - didn't find it too bad - but it's only 1 1/2 hours in and I've finished it on easy and medium (I think - I don't read Kenji!) nuff said!
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:44 am

I think the fact that you could finish it in 1 1/2 hrs, on medium, and the very first time you've played it, speaks to the truth of my complaints about the poor AI. The only other possibility? We've mad skills! 8)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:07 am

This game sucked, I got it and was ecstatic combining one of my fav old animes and the fabulous 3DO. Then I played it, once. This is a poor poor excuse for a game. You wanna good YuYu game, get the first one for the Super Famicom. It's not your regular fighter but it's prob the best of the YYH games for home consoles.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

ATARI5200
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ATARI5200 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:09 am

What games does Trev like? Omg! Do u really even like the 3do? What are some of your favz or should I look forward to reading more of your reviews?

IMO reviews of 3do games takes a liberal amount of unbiased discretion. One can not review a game in light of the current happenings within the gaming community. Nor can games be weighed against whatever a reviewer may have wanted or expected of this since "been" released titles.

Reviews need to be evaluated as if the games just came out w/ a splash of integrity for a platform we openly admit to being found of (at least I'm sure of my position).

I mean these games aren't competing for marketplace superiority and dominance, nowadays (or are they?). Retro-gaming is the cultish aspect of the landscape. I'm not suggesting reviewers "over hype" games as they may have been upon initial released, rather objectively analyze a games pro's and con's with insight on gameplay and replay value.

Other then that the couple reviews that I have read at this point seem to be taking a huge crap on 3do games, which is puzzling seeing that this is 3DO Zone. Or does the zero, actually represent "no love" for the system?

I'll admit there are a lot of horrible games for 3do. Off the top I'll say quarantine, quarterback attack and dr. hauser, at least IMO. Yet, if I decided to review them (and I'm sure some will ask, "where's ATARI'S contribution?").

Those answers are to come... until then, I'll read more posted commentaries as not to spoil a collectors desire to seek out 3do's seemingly unsubstantial catalog. Lastly, I'll post my reviews shortly after reviewing (review) threads of games that I liked.

I think I'll look for Slam-n-Jam/Madden or RETURN FIRE.... HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:33 am

ATARI5200 wrote:What games does Trev like? Omg! Do u really even like the 3do? What are some of your favz or should I look forward to reading more of your reviews?
Keep reading to find out ... there are a lot of them. :wink:
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:52 am

ATARI5200 wrote:Other then that the couple reviews that I have read at this point seem to be taking a huge crap on 3do games, which is puzzling seeing that this is 3DO Zone. Or does the zero, actually represent "no love" for the system?
I think we try not to blindly love everything that's put in front of us, unlike some other communities.. *cough* Jaguar *cough* :lol:

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:08 pm

Zing! :lol:
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5