3doh - GNU/Linux 3do emu

4DO & Freedo, we have tried playing some 200 games on them - if you have a question we might be able to help!

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

guaripolo
3DO ZERO USER

3doh - GNU/Linux 3do emu

Post by guaripolo » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:05 am

Hi, i'm developing a "new" 3do emulator for GNU/Linux...in fact, it's based on freedo and got some ideas from 4do (i.e how to get freedo working). This one is written in C, and uses SDL for audio, video and input. Also got an optional OpenGL video rendering that enables nice stretching.

I've written it with portability in mind, it can be easily ported over almost any SDL platform. My initial idea was porting it to Dreamcast, but then i saw that freedo isn't really a speed demon. Anyway, maybe an android port will be the next step.

The repository of the emu is in:
http://code.google.com/p/3doh/

i've released no binary yet, mainly because there's some little things that i want to finish, but there's the code if you want to build it yourself.

blabla
3DO ZERO USER

Re: 3doh - GNU/Linux 3do emu

Post by blabla » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:09 am

Welcome to 3DO ZONE guaripolo !
I don't use Linux/GNU oses often but i'm sure some Linux users here will like 3doh :)
An android port will be very cool, I can't wait for it !

guaripolo
3DO ZERO USER

Post by guaripolo » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:27 pm

thank you!

I always liked 3do, i remember the first time i've seen Fifa International Soccer intro, it blowed my mind!
Let's see if there's some way to improve performance in freedo, i have a low end notebook and it runs at 45-50 fps in 2d games. NFS is the slowest game that i've tested, about 22 fps ingame. Maybe some profiling can show us the slowest parts of code, i.e. improving the 3x3 matrix/vector product can give about 2-3 extra fps in nfs.

blabla
3DO ZERO USER

Post by blabla » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:49 am

guaripolo wrote: Let's see if there's some way to improve performance in freedo, i have a low end notebook and it runs at 45-50 fps in 2d games. NFS is the slowest game that i've tested, about 22 fps ingame. Maybe some profiling can show us the slowest parts of code, i.e. improving the 3x3 matrix/vector product can give about 2-3 extra fps in nfs.
I don't think you will be able to run 3D games at full speed on low-end devices unless of course you can rewrite the emu with an HLE approach.
Plus NFS was ported to PS1 so i don't think that's worth the time.
Maybe we can request the Retroarch team to port 3doh to their engine ?
Retroarch is the best multi-emulator out there and i can already play Sega 32X games on my android tablet thanks to them !
Apparently what they do is that they take the code source of one emulator and then they add it
to their program as a core. Your emulator must be the perfect candidate for them since it uses SDL/OpenGL.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:04 pm

I'm a Linux user (and an Android one) but I'm in America on with work at the moment. When I get back, next weekend, i'll have a look. I'm actually quite excited by this. It would be nice to have a play of 3DO games on Android while I'm on the train :)

guaripolo
3DO ZERO USER

Post by guaripolo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:36 am

well, seems like it was ported to libretro

https://github.com/r-type/libretro-3doh

:D