xbox port

4DO & Freedo, we have tried playing some 200 games on them - if you have a question we might be able to help!

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

incrediclint
3DO ZERO USER

xbox port

Post by incrediclint » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:23 am

So I'm working on porting freedo to xbox, I'm not sure how well it'll run but figured I'd try it out anyway. It's slow going though, trying to ressurect coding knowledge I haven't used in years. Once I get past the cryptic coding (to me anyway) of the core though the rest should be smooth sailing. :)

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Re: xbox port

Post by pitsunami » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:56 am

incrediclint wrote:So I'm working on porting freedo to xbox, I'm not sure how well it'll run but figured I'd try it out anyway. It's slow going though, trying to ressurect coding knowledge I haven't used in years. Once I get past the cryptic coding (to me anyway) of the core though the rest should be smooth sailing. :)
Hell yeah!!
Thats a great project,keep us posted and if you need anything xbox dev related let me know.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:11 am

Too bad I don't have an Xbuick. I really wish someone would try porting it to wii even if it ran slow. Good luck with your port!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:12 am

As I recall it already ran on Xbox right? I remember I got burned on the forums buying a xbox / 3DO controller adapter. They took my money and never delivered so I never modded my xbox to run it.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:22 pm

I would definitely like to see an XBOX 3DO emulator. If not Freedo, then FourDO when it's finished. I have my doubts that it's fully doable, but then again, PlayStation emulators run great on the XBOX, likewise with N64 emulators (when the games work, anyway).

swaaye

Post by swaaye » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:37 am

Freedo seems like it would be far too demanding for Xbox. I have no idea why it's so demanding. Maybe it does lots of low level emulation?

PS1 and N64 emus use high level emulation that's much less authentic to the old hardware but far faster.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:24 pm

If I remember correctly you had to be running Windows on a modded xbox but I was told it plays perfectly.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

incrediclint
3DO ZERO USER

Post by incrediclint » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:10 am

Project is on hold until the xbox I ordered gets here. Seems the 2 I have now cannot be used for debugging xbox apps so I had to try to get an xbox older then the ones I have now. Should be here in the next couple of days though.

incrediclint
3DO ZERO USER

Post by incrediclint » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:17 pm

Update:

Got it running on xbox now. Input is working and loading game ISO's works. Tested Real Pinball and Trip'd, both running at 10-15 fps.

No sound yet. No UI yet. Still lots of room for optimization.

I actually played Trip'd for while. Need to test some more demanding games still.

incrediclint
3DO ZERO USER

Post by incrediclint » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:12 am

Updates on my port of 4DO/Freedo to xbox:

Added UI to load iso's from HDD.
Loading games from the DVD drive works. (tested with cd-r's, nothing else)

So everything is basically working and needs refinement. The speed is still not acceptable and I don't think there is any more speed to be gained outside of the core.

Might be releasing a pre-alpha soon!

incrediclint
3DO ZERO USER

Post by incrediclint » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:14 am

swaaye wrote:Freedo seems like it would be far too demanding for Xbox. I have no idea why it's so demanding. Maybe it does lots of low level emulation?

PS1 and N64 emus use high level emulation that's much less authentic to the old hardware but far faster.
Freedo is all low level emulation. I can't seem to find any way to speed it up either, thinking I might need to look into doing some HLE to get acceptable performance on xbox.

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:55 am

Nice! :)

incrediclint
3DO ZERO USER

Post by incrediclint » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:34 pm

Well, I haven't managed to get the speed up and curretly only 1 game is even close to playable (Trip'd).

So I'm looking into implementing some HLE to take more advantage of the xbox's GPU. Until then, the project is on hold.

incrediclint
3DO ZERO USER

Post by incrediclint » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:15 pm

Released some alpha versions over at Emuxtras.net if anyone is interested.

GuruMeditation

Post by GuruMeditation » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:58 pm

I just gave this a try, and I'm impressed. It won't be replacing my FZ-1 just yet, but I hope you and JohnnyDude continue to work together for a really good 3DO emulator, regardless of the host system. 8)

I'd really like to be able to play my 3DO collection on my living room Mac Mini, instead of being surrounded by hardware and game cases (I have a dedicated games room for that, complete with Space Invaders light switch!) :lol:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:45 pm

GuruMeditation wrote:I just gave this a try, and I'm impressed. It won't be replacing my FZ-1 just yet, but I hope you and JohnnyDude continue to work together for a really good 3DO emulator, regardless of the host system. 8)

I'd really like to be able to play my 3DO collection on my living room Mac Mini, instead of being surrounded by hardware and game cases (I have a dedicated games room for that, complete with Space Invaders light switch!) :lol:
Picture of switch wanted.

GuruMeditation

Post by GuruMeditation » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:58 pm

:lol:

Austin

Post by Austin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:16 pm

That's quality work there. :D

PAUL B
3DO ZERO USER

Post by PAUL B » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:52 pm

I wish someone could port games from other consoles to run on 3DO,like crash bandicoot,Gran turismo n stuff,would love that :-)