Need help ripping music files from a 3DO CD

4DO & Freedo, we have tried playing some 200 games on them - if you have a question we might be able to help!

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Lance_89
3DO ZERO USER

Need help ripping music files from a 3DO CD

Post by Lance_89 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:17 pm

I am searching for a method to rip game music from a 3DO game, without the need of playing it through and cap it manually. With some searching I found this site:

http://www.freedo.org/forum2/index.php? ... opic=718.0

There I read that you would need an un-cdrom tool and 3DO aifc to wave converter. My problem is that I can't find the software on the net. Does anyone know where to find it, or have some similar method/software that works?

Help greatly appreciated!

GuruMeditation

Post by GuruMeditation » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:19 pm

Thank goodness for the Internet Archive, eh? :D

http://web.archive.org/web/200304072032 ... cd-rom.zip

Welcome! :)

Lance_89
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lance_89 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:26 pm

Thanks so much for you help!

I figured out that you were supposed to place the bin file on top of the exe file. It didn't extract any songs though, neither did the other program that was on the site. But then again, the actual game might not have any songs that are that easy to rip. I tried the game Montana Jones. Will try some other title later and see if it works better.

I didn't expect such a fast answer, thanks once again! :)

GuruMeditation

Post by GuruMeditation » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:34 pm

Ah, sounds like you're a Windows kinda person. Whenever I used that program, I always used it from the Windows command line.

http://web.archive.org/web/200310071851 ... uidev2.htm

Lance_89
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lance_89 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:23 pm

Is MS-DOS accessable on the windows XP or do I need to create an MS-DOS floppy disc in order to reach the MS-DOS Prompt?

I tried the commandline application found in Start\Programs , but it didn't work regardless of how I wrote the commands. It just couldn't execute the program.

As I earlier mentioned, I managed to start the application by dragging the Montana Jones.bin to the unCD-ROM.exe file. The program started up and began reading all the files on the image file. It was displayed in the same way as the guide. But suddenly the application just shut down and left me with nothing. I have played through the entire game, so the image shouldn't be damaged.

Do you have any theories? Would it work better when used via MS-Dos Prompt, or does my technique of dragging it also work for extracting files?

I have tried to download the unCD-ROM application a few times, but it always ends the same way, if I drag the image file to it.

GuruMeditation

Post by GuruMeditation » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:27 pm

Ah - now that's something I haven't tried myself. Last time I used un-cdrom I was using WIn98. I've never had a problem running older programs under the Windows XP command line though (which it sounds like you're doing). I'll have to investigate when I've got time, (un)fortunately, the pub is calling as it's a sunny day! I'll give it a try ASAP and get back to you.

Also, it might be worth you looking for a program called "3DO Commander". I do have it, so if you can't find it I'll upload it for you - but as I say, it's time for beer, so it'll have to be in a day or two. hehe

Although, I'm sure someone else here could help too. :wink:

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:43 am

unCDrom should work from the windows command line. create a folder on the root of your hard drive. stick the exe and ISO in that folder. the ISO has to be mode 1 2048 bytes/sector iirc in order for the program to understand the image. You should just have to navigate to that folder on the drive you used then use the command line, "un-cdrom.exe game.iso"(or whatever the exe and iso files are named). but then you will still have to find the audio files and then process them a certain way.

I have an old text i made that is prolly slightly outdated and i swear I posted it to this board before but the search function on this board is very.... lacking. So I guess I will post it here again.

---------------------------------------------------------------
I didnt get zstream reader to work for me until recently. but this was another method I had used to use to do some rips. This is an old text i made so it might need some updating. If someone has some text on proper use of zstream reader, that might be more useful than this. But here is what I wrote in the file...

------------------------------------------------

Seems doing this will sometimes require alot of playing around to get it to work. but i will try to give you a quick run down.

this site has many 3do utils...

http://madroms.free.fr/3do/

now..

first you have to get the actual files from off the discs. You can use uncdrom. there was also a nice windows based utility linked on the boards @ http://cdinteractive.co.uk/3do/forum/viewtopic.php?t=80

then you need to figure out which files are the music files. usualy they are labeled or are in a music folder.

sometimes these files will have an exstension, sometimes they wont. You might have to rename them with an extension to get some of the converters to work. There are a couple converters on the site i linked. You just might have to trial and error to get one of them to work. the converters are...

aifc2raw
unpackaif
zstream reader (not seeing this one the site right now)

I really have only got aifc2raw to be useful for me though. What i will do is rename the file extension to *.aifc if it is not already named that. (side note: if the file is already just an aiff or aif, try seeing if you can get it to play in sound forge first or something like that. It might not actually be compressed then) I will then run it through aifc2raw and it should output a raw file. The utility is command line based and will actually let you name the file whatever, but make it a *.raw.

I usualy take this file and load it into soundforge. When loading a raw, you have to manualy set the options for loading the file. Start with these settings...

sample rate 44,100
16bit pcm
signed
little endian(intel)
stereo

Before attempting to play the file, turn your speakers WAY DOWN. If it's wrong settings or the file didnt truly compress, the sound will be a ton of very loud static. The audio representation will show this also by being a complete peaked sound wave. It could damage your speakers. IF it plays, you have to make sure it plays at the right speed or sounds right. If it plays at the wrong speed, it's usualy a sample rate issue. but you might have to play around with the options.

Once you get it right, you can save it as a WAV file and you can do whatever you want with it from there.

This will only work when the music is actually cd audio and not just using the 3do sound system. I think 3do could also have something that was midi like... but i really dont know that for sure. If that is the case, i wouldn't have any idea on ripping that music unless you do it the analog way.

Well i know this info is probably all jumbled up and maybe confusing, but i hope it helps you out a little bit. The process can be very time consuming. it can be hard to figure out where you went wrong because it could be a wrong soundforge setting or the file just didn't uncompress correctly. Lots of variables to play with. Good luck.

Lance_89
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lance_89 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:10 pm

I must thank you all for trying to help me.

For the extraction of files, I have tried both "3DO Commander" and "OperaFSReader". They give the same exact result in terms of filetypes and size. Among the files I manage to extract, there aren't any wav or aifc/aiff files.

There is a system folder, containing an audio directory. But that only contains an aiff file with the title "sinuswave". Other formats are either unknown just displayed as "files" or ends with ".ALLCELL", ".ALLSND" , ".map" . There are also some ".rom" files and scripts but that is irrelevant for music I guess.

Have you ever stumbled on a filestructure like this and what should I be looking for? BryWI says that it's pretty much trial and error, that I should try and rename suspected files to ".aifc" and then run them trough sourceforge, but which files should I start with? All of them are pretty small around 300-500kb.

I have been thinking that "ALLSND" might stand for "All sound", since the files are named like the levels, Egypt, England and so on...But then again, there is almost to many of them to be that.

Could it be that the sound files are embedded much deeper into the filestructure and that the extraction applications can't reach them?

I am open to suggestions and theories, since I really want this soundtrack. I have tried to cap it manually, but the music is frequently disturbed by noise/speech or dropping framerate in the 3DO emulator. If there is any way to extract/convert the music to wav, then I would have the music clean.

I will kepp on experimenting. If you would like to give it a shot as well, I am trying to extract music from the game "Montana Jones".

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:02 am

I would try messing with zstream reader using the files that you suspect is the audio. That program sort of uncompresses the audio from a certain compression scheme. I dont quite remember it all though since it has been a while. I dont think I have that game, otherwise I would look when I get enough spare time.

Lance_89
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lance_89 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:20 pm

I tried to extract the music earlier, but the zstreamreader could only pick up various audio files, located specifically in an archive named "Audio".

I didn't succeed in finding any music files with the right extension. It is almost as if the files are deeper imbedded into the system files of the game and needs to be opened up further in order to expose the music. This is just an unconfirmed theory that I have, since I am pretty new at this.

I would be very thankful if someone more experienced than myself, took a look at this. Did try to rip the music from the game while playing, but there are so many places in the game that either can't be ripped without vocals or has serious issues with emulating the sound properly.

If it isn't a violation against the forum rules and someone wants to test their luck, I could upload an imagefile of my Montana Jones CD and post the download link here?

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:45 am

yeah that would be against rules.

Axelord
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Axelord » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:51 pm

I found all the audio as .xsnd files, named right by the levels in the particular game I was looking at. Anyone know what to do with these? The aifc2raw converter says they're not aiff-c files even after changing extensions.

To simply test the converters, I ran through a couple other games and found .cpc and .bgm sound files. Only the BGM file ran correctly through the converter to a .raw, but then I was unable to find anything that would play it. Audacity, VLC, winamp, CDex, all failed.

In my search i did come across the programmers resume for the 3do sound company but I'm hesitant to ask him anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.