Overclocking FZ-10 and the save memory upgrade

Got a problem with your 3DO? Ask!
bulletbob
3DO ZERO USER

Overclocking FZ-10 and the save memory upgrade

Post by bulletbob » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:20 pm

It's been a while since I have been on, but.....
I finally got back to where I can mod again. There's a few things I would love to do to my 3do.

1 is over clocking.
I think that pin 14 is the clock speed input. Is there a multiplier like the Dreamcast? Or can I link up a 25 MHz crystal to that pin with a 5v power input and switch? According to the arm60 manual the processor can handle 30mhz. Maybe that would be over kill for doom. Of course a few videos are on YouTube but no explanations on how to do it. Is there a schematic for the board on where to find the 5v? Search YouTube for 3do overclock or 3do pin 14.

2 is the save game memory expansion.
I have seen a few vids on people having soldiered a second memory chip with switch, piggyback style onto the 3do, but again no how to video or pics. I have a dead 3do laying around so the chip won't be hard to come by. Where is the chip? What does it look like ect..

I will be ordering the parts from evilbay. Any hints or suggestions welcome.
I promise if I can get it to work I will post pics.

BB
BulletBob is a character from the PC video game Blade Runner(1998).

You can call me Kris. I am obsessed with the 3DO.
Has anyone dumped the bios of the fz-fv1, fz-fv10 or fz-ems256 yet?

Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/user/krsboimo0o0o

bulletbob
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Overclocking FZ-10 and the save memory upgrade

Post by bulletbob » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:57 am

Well I made a little progress... I have not really done anything yet but take the top off and look around. There are 2 crystals the one by Clio has 25.04R41 on it. Maybe the 25 MHz for the gfx card. The second is by madam, it has 50.00KSS4M. I think that's the one I need to replace, no proof just a gut feeling. I would like to be able to run a switch between it and switch between stock and oc. But it seems easier to just replace the 12.5mhz with a 20mhz. I wouldn't want it going so fast the most games wouldn't play properly. But doom and need for speed could use a little speed boost or a lot in dooms case. Also I have no means of testing the MHz or what tool to use for that. I have a simple multimeter.

I do not know what the sram chip looks like so no dice there. Also I can't seem to find my broken fz-10 so I couldn't desoldier and piggyback them anyways.

I found a small electronics store that has my parts, crystals, flat ribbon cables and switches, so no evilbay :-) . I'll keep you guys informed of anything I can get done.

BB
BulletBob is a character from the PC video game Blade Runner(1998).

You can call me Kris. I am obsessed with the 3DO.
Has anyone dumped the bios of the fz-fv1, fz-fv10 or fz-ems256 yet?

Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/user/krsboimo0o0o

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:14 pm

Hey, welcome back. Hope you can make progress with it.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:20 am

Where is that thumbs up button?
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

13chuck13
SPAMMER

Post by 13chuck13 » Sun May 03, 2015 3:18 pm

bulletbob wrote:2 is the save game memory expansion.
I have seen a few vids on people having soldiered a second memory chip with switch, piggyback style onto the 3do, but again no how to video or pics. I have a dead 3do laying around so the chip won't be hard to come by. Where is the chip? What does it look like ect..
BB
Hi.
Here some details about NVRAM-memory mod for Panasonic FZ-10:
You need to solder second chip on IC350. Any kind of 28-pin static-RAM 8bit x 32K/256kbit is ok.

Bend both pins №20 (CS) and connect them thru simple switch with two resistors (10k).

Image Image

Also, the good idea, to solder extra capacitor between VCC of IC350 and GND.
Now you have 64k for save-files. Actually it work like two different "memory card" with switch.