Battery change needed?

Got a problem with your 3DO? Ask!
Calavera3DO
3DO ZERO USER

Battery change needed?

Post by Calavera3DO » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:02 pm

Hi guys,

meanwhile I got some different 3DO´s here - well I really like this console very much as it and it´s games are some kind different then all the other ones I have...

One question I still couldn´t solve for myself is regarding the battery every 3DO owns. As I can see in my FZ-10 the battery is soldered by two points to its holder - so I guess it was not changed over the time. But can it still have any power after nearly 20 years? or is it maybe an akku and not a battery?

And which function does it have - is it responible to store save games or does it just puffer the memory?

Has somebody just changed the 3DO battey/akku? Will then all saved games be gone?

Thanks!
Calavera3DO

TheRealAnubis
3DO ZERO USER

Post by TheRealAnubis » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:40 am

Yep, it's a battery, and it's soldered in by 3 points, two on one side and one on the other.

I removed the battery in mine and checked it and it showed 3.2V - which totally amazed me. Maybe it gets a small charge from being plugged in.
It does seem a little thick for a single battery, so I've been wondering if it's 2 batteries stacked.

The battery backs up the save game data stored on the 32K SRAM chip inside the 3DO, so if you disconnect the battery, the savegame data is gone.

Hopefully that helps! :D

Calavera3DO
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Calavera3DO » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Well - now in my Goldstar I soldered in a batteryholder for a new CR2450. The original battery was just fixed on two points which fits perfectly for the holder too. So new battery is in - but the CD wont work anyway... think this is still a problem with the ribbon cable...