3DO RGB (or component) mods?

Got a problem with your 3DO? Ask!
Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

3DO RGB (or component) mods?

Post by Austin » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:04 am

I'm curious--how easy is it to RGB mod a 3DO (FZ-10 preferably)? Are their any tutorials lingering around? Modding isn't usually my cup 'o tea, but I'm curious because I just got a HD CRT television set that takes component inputs (and HDMI for the more modern stuff, hehe).

Also, is there a way to mod it with component jacks? It's to my understanding (through a quick search here) that you can RGB mod the system, then get another box that will convert it to component.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:17 am

I am assuming that your new tv set does not have an rgb scart input then? If it does there is no point to convert it into component. RGB is the direct and cleanest video output there is.

You can modify the 3DO for rgb, i however dont know the first thing of how, but i managed to find a FZ-10 modified for rgb after searching for years.. The few people i have found who has modified 3do's per request, have been resistant to do it on the FZ-10 for whatever reasons. Only been willing to do it for the FZ-1. There is a guy on these forums who has been open to do it on the FZ-1 but his username escapes me right now. He aparently has worked on an audio upgrade as well. Search the forums and you might find him.

Personally, i didnt see much difference between composite and RGB on my system, i tried it on a sony trinitron crt, and my modern LG LCD HDTV, and was actually a little disapointed. Ive seen a bigger difference on other systems. As im in europe where rgb scart is pretty much standard on every tv since 15-20 years back at least, i always use it if the system outputs it and it usually makes a fairly noticable difference, especially in clarity and contrast.

If you get a RGB 3DO, i believe you can get RGB to HDMI adaptors, that should work better than component, if your tv supports RGB.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:15 pm

Just as a note, this thread will be moved to Technical Support and most US TVs don't have an SCART port. Some HD sets do but they are mostly left out to save $ as they were never used here.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:51 pm

Yeah, I was asking about the conversion because my TV doesn't have RGB/SCART. I read in an older thread that I would need to convert it to component. But if there are RGB to HDMI converters, then that sounds like it would be the best way to go. I will need to get some kind of switcher in that case though, as I think I only have one or two HDMI ports (the 360 takes priority in that slot naturally, hehe--it's been getting a lot more use now that I can play it in a much higher resolution than before).

*edit: Looks like one of the first threads in the Technical Support forum is about RGB modding. Derp. :lol:

http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=501

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:13 pm

You can just get a cheap hdmi switch off ebay. They are simple but they work, as long as you run shielded cables in as short length as you can get away with, you shouldnt need an amplifying switch.

I got one recently with some pretty thin hdmi cables that my ps3 (aparently known to have a weak signal) didnt get along with initially.. I set it down to 780p and suddenly it worked. So i found a thicker shielded cable in my cable stash and got it working at 1080p again.

So if you just get well shielded and short-ish cables, the cheap unamplifying switches should work for you. $5-10 shipped to your door from china.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:30 am

I think I am going to pass on this, as well as going with component on any other system. For one, the 3DO mod looks ridiculous. I was hoping it might be a few wires going here and there, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Second, while I haven't tested my retro consoles on my HD CRT yet (NES, Genesis, etc), I did get some component cables for my original XBOX, and guess what? It looks like total ass. Maybe it's simply due to the size of my television (I think it's 32 inches or something like that), but it's much easier to pick out the flaws than it does on my 25" Sony flatscreen TriniTron, hooked up with composite. I figured having the picture being considerably bigger and sharper would help, but in this case it seems to make the experience worse. Bleh. I hope I don't get the same results with my older systems. I'll have to get around to finally testing them this weekend.

(On a side note, my 360 looks fantastic hooked up to it. Then again, it's running in 1080i--nice and sharp, whereas the old XBOX is only 480p).

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:11 am

When listening to your podcasts (at work) I always want to comment on topics but I always forget before I have a chance to write things down. Congrats on the HD CRT BTW.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"