FZ-10 Laser Not Moving

Got a problem with your 3DO? Ask!
lisalover1
3DO ZERO USER

FZ-10 Laser Not Moving

Post by lisalover1 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:45 pm

I've been having trouble with my FZ-10 3DO for about a year now, and have never figured out a way to fix it. One day, I found that when I insert a disc into the system, after about 30 seconds of reading, the system ejected the disc and booted back to the BIOS animation. I opened the system to find that the laser was active 9reading and the lens was moving up and down) and the disc was spinning, but the laser assembly itself was not moving along the track. It doesn't even sound like it is making any effort to do so, as there are no resisting noises. I tried moving the laser manually to different locations on the track, but it never moved on its own. Any ideas on what to do?

Coffeejits
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Coffeejits » Tue May 29, 2012 3:34 pm

Your problem is no doubt one of two things. Either the drive motor has failed (or shorted), or, the gears have cracked and are not functioning properly. From what I have read on these forums, cracked gears are a common occurence with the FZ-10.

So, what are the solutions. Well, I can only speak for the FZ-1 as I do not own a FZ-10. But, IIRC, the FZ-10 drive motor, gears, and laser are the same. Unfortunately, the replacement parts will have to be scavenged from either another FZ-10 or you can try to find a Creative CD-ROM (CR-563B I believe). The last time I replaced my laser in my FZ-1, I had to use the laser from the Creative CD-Rom. The only place I have found them are at Ultradrives.com, and they are used. You'll be playing the lotto with these. Hope this helps.
No one dies a virgin. Life screws us all.

lisalover1
3DO ZERO USER

Post by lisalover1 » Thu May 31, 2012 2:56 am

So either way, I would have to get my hands on a new 3DO, eh? I think I'll just spend a little extra to get a functional new unit, then. Thanks for your help, though. :)

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreygor » Thu May 31, 2012 3:41 am

OR check this thread out ... http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2237

it replaces the CD-ROM in an FZ-10 .. if you dont wanna do that I'm interested in your FZ-10 and then you should send me a pm :)
Become part of The 3DO Initiative! <-- Click on link!