DAMN RIBBON CABLE IS THE BAIN OF MY EXISTENCE !!! GRRRRRRR

Got a problem with your 3DO? Ask!
mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

DAMN RIBBON CABLE IS THE BAIN OF MY EXISTENCE !!! GRRRRRRR

Post by mattyg » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:41 am

I now have 3 ..... yes that's right 3 machines that have a faulty cable - two Goldstars and one Sanyo.

This is the culprit :

If ANYONE knows of a manufacturer or appliance electrician that can have these made let me know Pleaasssseee!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:05 pm

kill it with fire! Is it possible to make one out of old ide cable?

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:27 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/AWM-RIBBON-FLEX-CAB ... 33593362ea

This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but it gives you some direction. :D

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:14 am

@ Bry - IDE cable does not have the correct spacing and is too thick (I thought of that too!)

@ Bonefish - yes that's the right cable but needs to be 17cm not 10cm - I am in the process of trying to find out if they can do it......fingers crossed.

It's all Sanyos fault not LG - I was always under the impression that the TRY was built like a tank - but the entire laser tray assembly including the board numbers is identical to the Goldstar - in fact just about everything inside the Goldstar is labelled Sanyo - if I had known this I would have treated the TRY with kit gloves and only used Pana's as my everyday units. It will be good news for everyone though if the leads I'm now following result in successful repairs as it would be a means of keeping both the Goldstars and Sanyos alive for a lot longer :D

I am curious to see what the Goldstars with the internal trays look like as they are certainly new news to me!

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:29 am

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... ble+30+pin

There are some closer ones, a little longer and shorter. Different pitches too!

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Sat May 15, 2010 8:04 am

Thanks to Bonefish the supplier was able to get me the right cable! The 1mm pitch on the 30 pin is indeed correct. I had a total of 3 Goldstars and 2 Sanyos out of action - these cables have fixed 2 of the Golstars and one of the Sanyos. I have hoever run into another issue - the smaller board they connect to 1EA4B11A09900 appears to easily short sometimes during the initial cable failure. Until I can source a couple of these the remaining 2 units will stay dead :cry: The part is common to both units and if anyone out there has some trashed units let me know.

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Sun May 16, 2010 2:55 pm

Very cool that the cables worked out... Too bad about the board they break away from. Bummer, if it isn't on thing... LOL

Eddyiori
3DO ZERO USER

Damn!!

Post by Eddyiori » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:31 pm

Well finally it happened to me also. I do have a Sanyo TRY and this week went trying to read a backup so in a moment it just stopped at all. Touching and moving the ribbon made it work so this is the culprit. I wonder who had the stupid idea of this model of cd tray... Btw, just ordered 2 ribbons of ebay so mine will be working again.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:51 pm

The Sega CD uses similar flat IDE cables. It has a weight to help keep it attached and curved.

You might want to take a look at the innards of a model 1 sega CD and see if you improvise something.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:51 am

I was really looking to get a Sanyo 3DO. Have been thinking about it for a very long time. This thread though really has made me reconsider this idea. I really don't like the Goldstar 3DO. Never did. I guess I just always loved the Panasonic FZ1.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Eddyiori
3DO ZERO USER

well it is a good machine

Post by Eddyiori » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:45 pm

Well, I managed to get mine well adjusted and it plays all backups I burn, plus in my personal oppinion it is more adustable then the panasonic units. After I receive my flatcables I make some pics of mod for this ribbon no more get cut, mine got because it was already used when I bought it but, if prevented it wont happen again for sure.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:06 pm

T2KFreeker wrote:I was really looking to get a Sanyo 3DO. Have been thinking about it for a very long time. This thread though really has made me reconsider this idea. I really don't like the Goldstar 3DO. Never did. I guess I just always loved the Panasonic FZ1.
Me too. Was it the Sanyo that said TRY? I'm with yoda on this

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:06 am

My Sanyo suffers the same issues.. And to boot i noticed some nutter changed the power supply.. It now features a removable cable..?

I thought this original at first, but then i looked closer when it stopped working and saw the opening made for the power cable plug.

Which sucks, because other than this, its in a pretty good condition box with matching serials and everything.

Eddyiori
3DO ZERO USER

update

Post by Eddyiori » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:04 pm

Well I already ordered my ribbons but seems they will take some time to arrive. As soon as it happpens I´ll post more updates.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Re: DAMN RIBBON CABLE IS THE BAIN OF MY EXISTENCE !!! GRRRR

Post by a31chris » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:25 pm

Updates to this?
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:21 pm

a31chris wrote:Updates to this?
Wow Chris, this is going back a ways. :lol: Updates are always nice though because every bit of information we can get about repairing 3DO systems, no matter the model, is good information. Not like you can just go to the local electronics repair store and have one fixed, after all.

dark
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dark » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:30 pm

I had a total of 3 Goldstars and 2 Sanyos out of action - these cables have fixed 2 of the Golstars and one of the Sanyos.
Well, it seems from the thread that if you can find a correctly fitting ribbon cable, and the ribbon cable is indeed the problem the console suffers, then it is a good fix ;) The question is getting the correct cable though. I think its 1mm pitch, 17cm, 30 pins... but I don't recall if it is connectors on the same side, or on opposite sides. I'll have to open my console again, I see a few cables from the ebay link up in this thread that might work and/or might be close enough to work (ie: 30 pin, 1mm pitch, 20cm... hope the extra cm doesn't make it bunch up too much and die immediately lol.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:05 am

dark wrote:
I had a total of 3 Goldstars and 2 Sanyos out of action - these cables have fixed 2 of the Golstars and one of the Sanyos.
Well, it seems from the thread that if you can find a correctly fitting ribbon cable, and the ribbon cable is indeed the problem the console suffers, then it is a good fix ;) The question is getting the correct cable though. I think its 1mm pitch, 17cm, 30 pins... but I don't recall if it is connectors on the same side, or on opposite sides. I'll have to open my console again, I see a few cables from the ebay link up in this thread that might work and/or might be close enough to work (ie: 30 pin, 1mm pitch, 20cm... hope the extra cm doesn't make it bunch up too much and die immediately lol.
Thats not all thats going on in this thread. He also had an IC short out that the cable plugged into. Just curious how this all wrapped up.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

Eddyiori
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Eddyiori » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:00 pm

Hello sorry for the late response, the flat cables arrived and I replaced it. Working like new!!
Tomorrow I´ll post everything about them . 8)

dark
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dark » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:50 am

Excellent, please do :) I am very interested in getting a replacement ribbon cable myself - would you have a link to where I could source one?

dark
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dark » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:34 am

Eddyiori wrote:Hello sorry for the late response, the flat cables arrived and I replaced it. Working like new!!
Don't leave us hanging! :o

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:23 am

What about the IC that burned out.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:19 am

Eddyiori wrote:Hello sorry for the late response, the flat cables arrived and I replaced it. Working like new!!
Come on already!
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:50 am

3DO Experience wrote:
Come on already!
Yeah, I agree.