How about porting Sonic the hedgehog to 3do?

What would you like to see done?
MathUser
3DO ZERO USER

How about porting Sonic the hedgehog to 3do?

Post by MathUser » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:09 pm

You could port either the original or sonic xtreme. I think theres a xtreme dev kit.

blabla
3DO ZERO USER

Re: How about porting Sonic the hedgehog to 3do?

Post by blabla » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:07 am

MathUser wrote:You could port either the original or sonic xtreme. I think theres a xtreme dev kit.
For Sonic Xtreme, it won't be possible because the current pixel routines for 3DO are very slow. (the 3DO's CEL engine is not well suited for 3D)
Plus, the current xtreme dev kit requires OpenGL so it would need a lot of modifications for it to work on a console like the 3DO.

As for the original Sonic, there are several roadblocks preventing that :
- The fact that there's no open-source Sonic game programmed in C that mimics the original games.
- I still can't figure out how to reuse ressources already in memory, which forces me to load that same resource again in memory,
resulting in memory waste.

I have not touched the whole surface yet but these 2 issues, especially the last one, prevent this kind of project from being
attempted.

MathUser
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MathUser » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:58 pm

Too bad, could of been a killer homebrew.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:06 pm

blabla wrote:I have not touched the whole surface yet but these 2 issues, especially the last one, prevent this kind of project from being
attempted.
Why don't you ask for help/advice from the two guys who post the 3DO videos around here? The two guys who made Monster Manor etc?
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

blabla
3DO ZERO USER

Post by blabla » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:08 pm

a31chris wrote:Why don't you ask for help/advice from the two guys who post the 3DO videos around here? The two guys who made Monster Manor etc?
I'm not even sure if they still remember how to make 3DO games or even small details like that.
It would be nice tho if ewhac expanded his GIMP plugin to handle transparencies and the 64-colors format.