Shockwave 2 : Beyond the Gate Impressions

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

The_Legend
3DO ZERO USER

Shockwave 2 : Beyond the Gate Impressions

Post by The_Legend » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:42 am

I've had some 3DO games for a while that I've just never played. Well, I popped in SW2 just to see what it was like.

Story starts off kinda 'meh' but once the gameplay hit "WHOA!".

Controls weren't bad, but I had to get used to them. Gameplay was great and there were literal "in your face" moments with ships getting too close for comfort (as they came crashing down).

Looks great, plays great...I can see myself getting into this one (and the story got a little interesting after the first mission).

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:48 am

That is a game with great polish, just a complete game.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:03 am

Challenging, but a different type of challenge from the 1st Shockwave. Figuring out how to tackle a mission is as much of a threat as the aliens. I think of the mission w/the various gates is a good example ... trying to figure out the right order to go through them etc ...

Much better than the 1st game which I felt was overrated. Better graphics, better fmv, better vehicles, less linear. One of these days I will finish it without resorting to cheat codes ...

The_Legend
3DO ZERO USER

Post by The_Legend » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:10 am

Don't have the first one, so I can't compare (course, my collection is pretty lousy!).

Yeah, it seemed easy at first, then I got swarmed with enemies. I made it to the first base and nearly lost my ship! Man those turrets (I guess) can fire at a distance!

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:28 am

I own both of them but only played the first one so far. I think it's pretty good but I'm stuck on the 3rd or 4th level. It takes place as night and I just get raped by enemy ships instantly.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

The_Legend
3DO ZERO USER

Post by The_Legend » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:38 am

If I had some spare cash I'd pick up part 1 (and some other 3DO games as well). Alas, I'm not going to have any extra income for quite some time, so I guess I'll play 2 before 1. That's cool I guess.

I'm hoping the storyline goes pretty well. Like I said, it seemed to pick up somewhat after the first stage, but that isn't enough to really say anything.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:01 am

Shockwave 2 is brilliant. I played all three Shockwave start-to-finish and Shockwave 2 was by far the best. The FMV sequences also moved on, and the story isn't earth shattering but it's pretty well done I thought!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:59 pm

Okay this post got me in the mood to play so I popped in Shockwave 2 and now have a couple questions. I went through the first 3 planets of system 1 w/out much trouble but now I'm hung up on planets 4 & 5 in system 2.

On one planet (I forget which one at the moment) I need to find a refueler to have my weapons reconfigured. The problem is the refuler is blocked by energy fences on either side and hills on opposite ends. Not sure where to go ... no enemies are left to destroy.

The second planet I destroyed the facility and am trying hard to take advantage of the 3 minutes of alien weakness. I go through the left gate to destroy the hive, but almost immediatley get caught in a gravity well. It slowly pulls me and I cannot thrust out of it. What do I need to do?

Sorry if these ques seem obvious, but I haven't played the game in forever.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:44 pm

What the ... ? I thought for sure someone would post a reply (or are we all stuck here too? Nah, I'm sure it's just me) Bumping for help ...

The_Legend
3DO ZERO USER

Post by The_Legend » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:40 am

I would but the only game I'm really in to right now is IceBreaker. I played some more SW2 today, though. My question is...where are those refuel pads?

I remember the first time I played on level 1, I did something and it said "time to refuel and reload". Maybe it's cause I beat the level?