what controller is best

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

gymguy
3DO ZERO USER

what controller is best

Post by gymguy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:04 am

Well my fz1 3do came in today as did my interact controller, the system plays games great just has a scrach on the top not a big deal tho. Played a hour or so of samurai showdown and street fighter 2 turbo and i must say i am not a big fan of the interact controller (only one i have) The fourth button is mapped as the start or play button so it pauses games (what wee they thinking) and it feels really cheap. I'm just wandering how the original controllers are compared to this? I want to pick up a couple and need info on whats the best also i dont care if they have extra buttons or what not. So if anyone has info on original controller or 3rd party ones please let me know how they are. Thanks guys

Ps. You guys were right way of the warrier is really bad lol i also am not a big fan of two other games i recieved "Kingdom the far reaches, and The last bounty hunter" bad games and Doom is horrid lol

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:24 am

lol told ya about way of the warrior (horrid)

i love the goldstar controllers because they feel alot like the genesis 3 button controllers, ive been using the same controller for 11 years now.

there is a version of the original FZ1 controllers you might want to steer clear of because of a diagonal movement problem. someone else might remember what the model numbers are

i havent really tried any others for any period of time to give any other recommendations
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

gymguy
3DO ZERO USER

Post by gymguy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:58 am

another thing is wow you really dont get enough memory for your gamesaves. I had 3 gamesaves and the internal memory was almost full!That was something that should of been changed back then lol . Had the 3do hooked up to my 51 in hidef big screen and the games look beter than i tought they were going to so far im happy about the buy. Just need to get a decent controller. :lol:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:26 pm

I've said it before, I'll say it again :)

This:

Is the best for most games. Weirdly it does take a while to get accustomed to playing some games with an arcade stick, but it's actually a good (ish) stick, and it works well with most stuff.

In defense of the standard 3DO pad, it's by far the best pad to play Wing Commander with. I reckon anyway.

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:13 pm

I really like the Logitech controller that came with Zhadnost. In fact, I liked it so much I wrote about it. :) The revised Panasonic controller is a close second.

http://www.retroreviewproject.com/recom ... ontroller/

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:34 pm

Damn, the most sexy controller on earth. Wow!
Intersting read, the expansion for another controller is at the end of the cord.

nocturne
3DO ZERO USER

Post by nocturne » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:39 am

My favorite controller is actually the original panasonic pad, or @ least the one that came with the FZ10. I remember the diagonal problem years ago, the answer is to undo the screws a little bit and all should work fine, worked for me :)

The other pad i have is a 6 button one, called sword something? anyway, has a short cable, the buttons are mutlicolored and the d-pad is purple, avoid this one if you see it, nasty nasty pad

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:35 am

one controller to rule them all

Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

gymguy
3DO ZERO USER

Post by gymguy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:03 am

Still looking for the newer panasonic controller or a Logitech controller evan a goldstar controller so if anyone wants to sale one let me know. :) I have been playing with the interact 4 button pad like shown in Lemmi's pick and it just feels cheap and the c button doesent work 100% (also 4 buttons and it doesent evan work for ssf2t extra button is mapped as pause :( ). Put in some time with alone in the dark 2 game has alot of slowdown but im pretty far along so far :)

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:39 pm

Another vote for the Goldstar controller here. They tend to suck at first, but once they're broke in they feel much better.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:21 am

Well they may not be the best controllers ...

...but now that I'm in my new place, and my couch is even further from my tv ... the wireless ones from Doc's. Very reliable.

dazzadasha
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dazzadasha » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:14 pm

Hi-
Probably been talked about and probably rare, but I had an adapter for snes pads with a programmable six button snes stick for my panasonic fz1.

Svarog
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Svarog » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:35 pm

The FZ-10-Pad.
It's probably one of the best pads I've ever used.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:47 pm

Ok everyone talks bad about the directional pad on the original controller but I bought the original release and I have never had a problem.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

nocturne
3DO ZERO USER

Post by nocturne » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:50 am

That directional thing and undoing the screws trick really does work, i think alot of them where just way too tight. I totally agree with Svarog, IMHO the original pad is one of the best pads i've ever used on any system, period.

Gir Draxa
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Gir Draxa » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:12 pm

The MadCatz 6-button is my fav of the 3do controllers, my only complaint about it would be it feels brittle in your hands, though it's surprizingly durable.

If you can get it (there seemed to have been a LOT in Australia about a year ago) the Sega Genesis adapter is worth the money. The 6-button Genesis pad rocked with Way of the Warrior, made it seem almost too simple.

Drax
CEO of The (in search of a home) CD-i & 3DO Collectives

Just slightly behind at being ahead of our time!