Strange behavior by my FZ-1

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Dryden
3DO ZERO USER

Strange behavior by my FZ-1

Post by Dryden » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:38 pm

The setup: I have a game room in the basement of my home -- the "man cave." Due to a lack of composite-ins on my TV/surround setup, and for space considerations, my consoles pull double duty. The 3DO is my CD player, the PlayStation 2 is my DVD player, etc. It's very ghetto and college dorm life.

Last night I was down in the game room, listening to a CD on the 3DO, a Panasonic FZ-1, when the console spontaneously powered off. I pushed the power switch a couple of times and got nothing. I also cursed at the machine, but that had no effect either. After about five minutes, I was able to finally turn the FZ-1 back on, which would be a symptom of it having overheated.

Anyone ever experience anything like this with an FZ-1 before? It's the first time I'd seen it. I was probably 30 minutes through the CD when it occured. The night before, I had listened to maybe 6 or 8 CDs in a row and it played all of them flawlessly.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:06 pm

Although my machine has never shut down entirely, I have had it reset on a few occasions when playing music cds. The timing was similar to yours too (about 1/2 hr or so into the disc) Howver, I don't listen to music cd's on my 3do very often, so I'm not really sure what would cause it. My shot in the dark guess would be something to do with the nvram, but I really have no concrete idea. Sorry ... :(

Dryden
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dryden » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:56 pm

Trev wrote:Although my machine has never shut down entirely, I have had it reset on a few occasions when playing music cds. The timing was similar to yours too (about 1/2 hr or so into the disc) Howver, I don't listen to music cd's on my 3do very often, so I'm not really sure what would cause it. My shot in the dark guess would be something to do with the nvram, but I really have no concrete idea. Sorry ... :(
My machine has reset itself twice before, both times playing Twisted. So this would make the third time it's gone off with a mind of its own. The two times before, though, it just soft reset and came right back up. This time it powered itself off completely. Light off ... nothing. The on/off button locked properly in and out of place too. It just acted like it was bricked for about five minutes, which is when I started to suspect it was an overheat issue so I left it sit and came back. The next time it started right up like nothing was wrong. :?

Oh, and the 3DO has no pin-hole force eject for the CD tray. That sucks when the machine won't turn on. :lol:

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:50 am

Could also be a ventilation problem. You might want to open the case and see if you have an abundance of dust built up blocking proper air flow. I know it sounds weird, but it is possible man.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:42 pm

Oh, and the 3DO has no pin-hole force eject for the CD tray. That sucks when the machine won't turn on.
Although it probably is not very good for the machine, I've tilted mine on the rare ocassion I could not get a disc to eject. Gravity works wonders! (Of course this was on my old deceased Goldstar machine, so maybe this is a bad piece of advice)

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:53 pm

Trev wrote:
Oh, and the 3DO has no pin-hole force eject for the CD tray. That sucks when the machine won't turn on.
Although it probably is not very good for the machine, I've tilted mine on the rare ocassion I could not get a disc to eject. Gravity works wonders! (Of course this was on my old deceased Goldstar machine, so maybe this is a bad piece of advice)
Yeah, those are the wonders of the Goldstar. The well built tanks that the Panasonic FZ-1 machine is doesn't do that. I always was scared by the fact that the Goldstar units just fell open with tilting. Very scary and some amazing design for the times, I tell you what. :roll: :P
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:59 am

My FZ-1 reset itself twice when I was playing Samurai Shodown. That was a few months ago and since then it's been working normally. Weird.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin