Star Fighter

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Star Fighter

Post by Gunstar » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:08 am

Star Fighter on the 3DO is one of my favorite 3DO games, and one of my favorites of all time. I've also never finished the game. I've lost my game saves several times over the years either by erasing them accidentally or from changing 3DO models. So, I've restarted the game about half a dozen times, and have made it passed the first 15 planets/missions more than once, and I think I may have made it to a 3rd level of 15 planets/missions once, the first time way back when. Anyway, I'm currently a 1/4 of the way through the second set of 15 planets now.
I was wondering who has actually finished all the levels of this game (without cheating, which I have never done and never used codes)? How many planets/missions are there in all?

On a side note, someone mentioned in another thread, I think, that this game has about the most boring FMV of any game ever, or something like that, and I agree. The very first time, it was sufferable, and helped set the tone to an extent, but it is all very boring.

Is this one of anyone elses favorites? Can anyone comment on the Saturn and PSX versions?
Trip WHOkins?!?
World's greatest 3DO Need for Speed racer [even 'X man' says so, digitally immortalized in the game...R.I.P.] http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... ight=speed

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:43 am

I remember making it to the second set of missions then the game ramped up the difficulty to stupid hard. GAME GURU TIME

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:48 am

I've mentioned in the past the FMV is slow and painful going. It is a great game - I love it to bits. The 3D engine is quite impressive for the time too. The missions are a bit damp though. It's like you got this great graphics engine, that's exciting and even thrilling to use, and then the missions are like 'pick you nose to complete level'.

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:18 am

3DOKid wrote:I've mentioned in the past the FMV is slow and painful going. It is a great game - I love it to bits. The 3D engine is quite impressive for the time too. The missions are a bit damp though. It's like you got this great graphics engine, that's exciting and even thrilling to use, and then the missions are like 'pick you nose to complete level'.
How much of the game have you played? Becuase int the 20-30 levels I've seen, they are VERY diverse in mission objectives. It is true that the first set of levels has missions that are a bit generic, but even they end after about the first 8 or so...
Trip WHOkins?!?
World's greatest 3DO Need for Speed racer [even 'X man' says so, digitally immortalized in the game...R.I.P.] http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... ight=speed

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:52 pm

Star Fighter! Loved it, thought the missions WERE a bit generic, sorry. I could never get into that "It's all just a simulation" within a simulation stuff. Always seemed a copout to explain the somewhat rough graphics when 3D gaming was still working on being pretty.

Apparently the original version on the Acorn Archimedes: http://www.starfighter.acornarcade.com/ (and I've noted this on Will's blog) had a fairly different story. Also, it had a few crazy mission descriptions, taken from the above website:

"THE CUNNING WEASEL HAS JUST BOUGHT 2 I.C.T. REMOTE MORPHING SHIELD GENERATORS... HE IS NOW DEMANDING A STEADY SUPPLY OF CONKERS FROM FEDNET OR ELSE!"

"FEDNET PEACE TALKS WITH THE DARK LORD 'HE WHO IS MASTER OF ALL THAT IS EVIL' HAVE GONE DRASTICALLY WRONG WHEN A FEDNET DIRECTOR SUGGESTED THAT HIS BLACK DEATH CLOAK WOULD LOOK RATHER FETCHING IN PINK."

"COMPLAINTS ARE COMING IN ABOUT THE I.C.T. CHEMICAL PLANT... APPARENTLY THE VERY RARE ROCK WEASEL IS NEAR THE POINT OF EXTINCTION... NOT THAT FEDNET CARE ABOUT THE ROCK WEASEL, HOWEVER IT'S A GOOD EXCUSE TO BLOW UP MOST OF THE CHEMICAL PLANT."

"USING A TEST S-T-C TELEPORTER, WE HAVE MANAGED TO PUT ALLIED PILOTS INTO TWO OF THE ENEMY FIGHTERS... THE ENEMY PILOTS THAT WERE BEAMED OUT GOT ACCIDENTALLY SCRAMBLED DURING TRANSMISSION - IF YOU SEE BITS OF THEM - DO NOT BE ALARMED."

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:36 pm

The other thing is that had this amazing graphics engine. It doesn't suffer noticeably from slow down. Or at least I don't think it does. I just think they could have made the missions grander. There was game for the Amiga, just as things were turning sour for Commodore, called Epic. It was properly lambasted, but it had a good feel to it. It felt, no pun intended, epic. Now Star Fighter looks brilliant, handles brilliant but like I say, the missions are all bit damp.