3DO Repair question

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

ipaul
3DO ZERO USER

3DO Repair question

Post by ipaul » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:21 pm

My Panasonic FZ-1 uk model occasionally ejects CD's and refuses to run games, is it possible to do anything to it? recently bought it from ebay. can i open it and clean anything? or even put a new cd drive in it?

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:56 pm

Open it up and make sure the CD assembly is all sitting properly in place and that the tray can close completely. Mine was damaged in shipping and did something similar. Though with mine, it was always instead of occasionally. I just had to pop everything back into place.

ipaul
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ipaul » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:37 pm

Ok, thanks, i wont break anything by accident will i? is it worth blowing some air over it to get rid of dust inside? i used a cd lens cleaning disc already, one of those ones with a tiny brush on it.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:07 am

...stop using gold discs... ;)

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:48 am

ipaul wrote:Ok, thanks, i wont break anything by accident will i? is it worth blowing some air over it to get rid of dust inside? i used a cd lens cleaning disc already, one of those ones with a tiny brush on it.
Probably not, just don't force anything. Cleaning out the dust couldn't hurt, but probably wouldn't have much effect on this problem. If you open it up and it looks like everything is in place, your laser might be dying. (Or you might be trying to play burned games.)

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:36 pm

1)Discs might be very scratched or,
2)clean the lens.
Dont worry 3dos are pretty tough.

John Boy
SPAMMER

Help!

Post by John Boy » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:01 pm

Hi there,

A newbee with a question... :oops:

I've got a Panasonic FZ-1 I purchased new back in the day. Got it out to show the nephew and ran into a problem. :(

Playing Road Rash, I decided to check out the sound tracks. The music quit and I didn't think anything about it. :?

Tried to load another game and nothing... :shock:

I opened it up, check all connections, and found the CD drive will not spin up at all... :cry:

Anyone had this happen? If so, did you fix it? I've changed the drive in my Xbox, modified my Sega Saturn to play imports & backups, but can't seem to fix this thing... :evil:

Thanks in advance....

John Boy

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Help!

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:27 pm

John Boy wrote:Hi there,

A newbee with a question... :oops:

I've got a Panasonic FZ-1 I purchased new back in the day. Got it out to show the nephew and ran into a problem. :(

Playing Road Rash, I decided to check out the sound tracks. The music quit and I didn't think anything about it. :?

Tried to load another game and nothing... :shock:

I opened it up, check all connections, and found the CD drive will not spin up at all... :cry:

Anyone had this happen? If so, did you fix it? I've changed the drive in my Xbox, modified my Sega Saturn to play imports & backups, but can't seem to fix this thing... :evil:

Thanks in advance....

John Boy
Hmm, well the drive may have just died. Then again, it could also be that the cables that runs power to the motor came loose as well. Reopen the system and make sure that all cables and ribbons are in place and tight. Then try her again.

Just FYI people though, the worst thing you can put in your 3DO systems are those CD's with the little brushes on them. The bristles can flake off after awhile and get lodged in the system gears and such. Can also kill the laser itself by easily scratching them. I know it's a one in a million chance, but that one time can still happen. Even though it is a pain, it is still better to open the system up and clean it gently with a Q-Tip and Windex.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!